Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I would like to apply to medicine but my GCSE's and AS level results re very poor . Should i do a foundation course or get a degree in Biomedical science then apply through the GEP route after getting a degree? I am currently doing Biology, Chemistry and Sociology AS levels at A2, would i still be eligible to apply to a foundation course?
    Thanks.
    xoxo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vanny17)
    Hi. I would like to apply to medicine but my GCSE's and AS level results re very poor . Should i do a foundation course or get a degree in Biomedical science then apply through the GEP route after getting a degree? I am currently doing Biology, Chemistry and Sociology AS levels at A2, would i still be eligible to apply to a foundation course?
    Thanks.
    xoxo.
    helps if you post your grades so people can actually get an idea of your situation

ReputationRep:
    would i still be eligible to apply to a foundation course?
    Thanks.
    xoxo.
    Medical schools have departmental websites to answer questions like these.

ReputationRep:
    Should try your best if you can retake the individual modules and bring up your grade. Yeah sure why not, if you satisfy the conditions for medicine with foundation year go for it but don't think of it as an easy way out because you have low AS/GCSE grades, they're probably as much competitive because they are only a handful of medical schools which offer this course.

You should not even consider GEP route at this moment, try your best from getting in after A-Levels, GEP is mostly for plan in career changes later on, or those with extenuating circumstances who couldn't manage to get in after A-Levels. It should neither be looked as an easy way out because when you apply then it will be way more difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Medical schools have departmental websites to answer questions like these.
    Ok. Could you provide me with some links? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Ok. Could you provide me with some links? Thanks.
    Sure, I'll give you the master link

http://www.google.co.uk

PS. My original post was my polite way of saying, look it up your ******* self.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uer23)
    Should try your best if you can retake the individual modules and bring up your grade. Yeah sure why not, if you satisfy the conditions for medicine with foundation year go for it but don't think of it as an easy way out because you have low AS/GCSE grades, they're probably as much competitive because they are only a handful of medical schools which offer this course.

You should not even consider GEP route at this moment, try your best from getting in after A-Levels, GEP is mostly for plan in career changes later on, or those with extenuating circumstances who couldn't manage to get in after A-Levels. It should neither be looked as an easy way out because when you apply then it will be way more difficult.
    The problem is that i didn't go for my UKCAT test which was due for today. I don't think i can get into Medicine through the undergraduate route tbh. Last time i checked though, GEP was meant for everybody that did a health science undergraduate course in which case you must get a 2.1 or first class degree. How is the GEP route difficult? At least i could had shown my zeal to pursue medicine by getting a 2.1 or first class degree and by doing extra curricular activities and UKCAT, GAMSAT or BMAT. By then, i owuld be more mature to know what i want to pursue in life as well as ganing more knowlege seeing as biomed is similar to medicine in many ways.

ReputationRep:

Why post if you don't have an advise is beyond me. Why result to using profane words. Learn to be polite and while you are at it, grow up.

ReputationRep:
    The problem is that i didn't go for my UKCAT test which was due for today. I don't think i can get into Medicine through the undergraduate route tbh. Last time i checked though, GEP was meant for everybody that did a health science undergraduate course in which case you must get a 2.1 or first class degree. How is the GEP route difficult? At least i could had shown my zeal to pursue medicine by getting a 2.1 or first class degree and by doing extra curricular activities and UKCAT, GAMSAT or BMAT. By then, i owuld be more mature to know what i want to pursue in life as well as ganing more knowlege seeing as biomed is similar to medicine in many ways.
    How is it difficult? Let me look at the KCL prospectus for an example...

MBBS 5 years entry applicant: offer ratio - 5:1
    MBBS 4 years GEP entry applicantffer ratio - 46:1

It's similar across the board for most GEP schools. If you can get in undergraduate, try it.

ReputationRep:
    It is a longer route and it can be done, GEP I mean. Though it is not the best option in your situation and you should be trying to utilize your position and try your best to improve your grade.

ReputationRep:

:rofl:

Why not apply for both? :holmes:

I should warn you though, postgraduate entry for med is far harder to get into than undergraduate.

ReputationRep:
    Why post if you don't have an advise is beyond me. Why result to using profane words. Learn to be polite and while you are at it, grow up.
    1. I gave you advice.

2. I was very polite the first time round, yet you continually failed to show the initiative to go and LOOK FOR THE WEBSITES THEMSELVES.

It's really not hard to type 'X medical school' into google and click the god damn link you lazy sod.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusilero)
    How is it difficult? Let me look at the KCL prospectus for an example...

It's similar across the board for most GEP schools. If you can get in undergraduate, try it.
    ok thanks. But i think it is too late because i did not do the UKCAT test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusilero)

Bloody hell, I didn't realise there was THAT much of a discrepancy between GEP and 5yr in terms of applace.

Although, I think in this instance, this may be more to do with the fact that King's GEP has no A-level subject restrictions whereas their 5yr asks for bio/chem.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.