Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Sending a car to America watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

Just wondering if anyone can help me out with this. I've tried looking on google and I've even sent off for quotes and things but no one seems to be able to help me and I don't understand because I don't believe this can't be done.

Last year I took my car around Europe on a road trip and it was amazing, probably the best holiday I've ever had. Obviously it was fairly easy to get there car there from the UK by just taking it on the ferry. This year I want to step it up a gear.

I want to send a few cars over to America next year for about 3 weeks. We are trying to take our classic Minis over to America for a fairly long road trip. There will be 3 Minis, maybe 4 we're not sure yet. If possible I want to fly over and pick up the car a few days later or whatever having sent it over before hand.

Has anyone ever sent a car across to America from the UK and if so, how did you manage it?!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Q_M)
    Hey!

Just wondering if anyone can help me out with this. I've tried looking on google and I've even sent off for quotes and things but no one seems to be able to help me and I don't understand because I don't believe this can't be done.

Last year I took my car around Europe on a road trip and it was amazing, probably the best holiday I've ever had. Obviously it was fairly easy to get there car there from the UK by just taking it on the ferry. This year I want to step it up a gear.

I want to send a few cars over to America next year for about 3 weeks. We are trying to take our classic Minis over to America for a fairly long road trip. There will be 3 Minis, maybe 4 we're not sure yet. If possible I want to fly over and pick up the car a few days later or whatever having sent it over before hand.

Has anyone ever sent a car across to America from the UK and if so, how did you manage it?!
    Google is your friend, I found a fair bit of info on there. Apparently though, from a couple of mins looking around, imported cars must pass US emissions tests before they can be used over there, which may well be an issue on an old mini. Answer two here is pretty detailed, but it looks too expensive to be viable. I wouldn't bother.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to rent them in America?

ReputationRep:
    Shipping is £1000+. In most cases anyway.

ReputationRep:
    You can get to experience driving an automatic

ReputationRep:
    From experience with importing cars from the US Expect ~£1000+ for the container and handling fees etc... Not sure about any import taxes the other way though.

TBH though 3 weeks is not a long trip and probably not worth it with the shipping costs, Why not go a bit further into Europe on a roadtrip, easy to get to russia/turkey/morocco and if you are willing to get a Carnet then Jordan, Syria and Iran are meant to be amazing places to visit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by initiation)
    From experience with importing cars from the US Expect ~£1000+ for the container and handling fees etc... Not sure about any import taxes the other way though.

TBH though 3 weeks is not a long trip and probably not worth it with the shipping costs, Why not go a bit further into Europe on a roadtrip, easy to get to russia/turkey/morocco and if you are willing to get a Carnet then Jordan, Syria and Iran are meant to be amazing places to visit.
    Being in the RAF I wouldnt be allowed to go anywhere near the majority of countries mentioned there! Never mind.

£1000 is for the container or per car? I'm pretty sure I'd easily fit two or three Minis in a container, they are only 3m long.

All of the Minis going wouldnt have issues passing the emmisions tests. They are all pretty much the last few Minis ever made and so have injected engines and so have to pass emmisions tests in this country as well.

Hmmmm....£1000 is a lot of money but I think it would be an amazing trip.

p.s. I very much doubt you can find Minis to rent in America, not decent ones anyway. They are insainly rare these days and they never got exported to America in bulk when they were being built.

Cheers anyway guys, I'll try to see if one of these companies finally gets back to me with a quote.

Q_M

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Q_M)
    Being in the RAF I wouldnt be allowed to go anywhere near the majority of countries mentioned there! Never mind.
    Fair excuse, these countries are on my next roadtrip 'to do' list whenever that maybe...

£1000 is for the container or per car? I'm pretty sure I'd easily fit two or three Minis in a container, they are only 3m long.
    Apologies, meant £1000+ for each car, IIRC cost for the shipping part (had to add in extra registration stuff at this end I think) was £1200, that was a VW campervan from California a couple of years ago, using kingstown shipping. Not sure about the other way though.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 3, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.