Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am going to get a AAAe and by the time i apply, my grades will be confirmed.

So, should i retake the 4th AS(Physics) to get it from an E to something at least like a C?

My other subjects are economics, maths and chemistry.

I want to apply for Accounting and finance at unis like:
    Nottingham
    LSE
    Manchester
    Birmingham
    Aston

Do i have a good shot with the E there? or should i be retaking it?
    My GCSE grades are AAAAABBCCD

Also, as i am taking a gap year, should i take up another AS in my gap year and would that improve my chances?

ReputationRep:
    how does one get A's in economics maths and chemistry, and an E (or even a C) in physics? how weird

you should retake it imo, i think you would have a problem getting into LSE

and no, taking another AS in ur gap year wouldnt change anything

ReputationRep:
    most unis reqiure require at least a pass in fourth subject, but if you want to do physics related degree at uni then you might struggle.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why it would be any problem at all. The unis will just think you made a mistake in picking that subject since your abilities are clearly confirmed by getting 3 As.

ReputationRep:
    I had AAAC (C in physics) if it has nothing to do with your degree, and you have 3 A's dont worry about it

ReputationRep:
    Retake it, get at least a D and you have 4 A-levels. It will look better on application forms, getting jobs ect. Also you never know, the next test may be easier and you get the good grade. Also if your competing with someone with AAAc, that person is more likely to get in grade wise, so you should do the same.
    I do physics at AS-level, got an E in unit 1 and a B in unit 2, my coursework was 100% and my overall AS grade was a C. If I retake unit 1 and do better, the chances of me getting a B are really high.
    You should do the same and just retake it, even if you dont revise much for it, give it a go, but you shouldnt worry too much about it as its unrelated to you. But give it a try.

ReputationRep:
    Im going for a Accounting and Finance degree at a good uni.

So its not really relevant at all.
    AAAe looks ugly, i would be happy with a C although thats going to be hard to get as I got CUU. (1 of is form the practical module which cant be retaken )

So having AAAe will affect me getting into units like Nottingham/LSE for Accounting?

I will probably try to get it up to a D, by retaking one module though.

ReputationRep:
    Just don't tell them you got an E. I got AABU in mine but I sacked off the U.

ReputationRep:
    UCL would accept you and they're one of the best so you should be fine with your choices especially with the As so dw

ReputationRep:
    i'd retake it if i were u but well done on getting the 3A's at least

ReputationRep:
    If his grades have been confirmed or whatever the nomenclature is he has to declare it (or at least those were the rules a few years ago). However, if this hasn't happened yet just ask your school to reject your physics modules. You then don't have a grade in physics and don't have to declare it.

ReputationRep:
    Don't bother retaking. There's really no point. I would've thought your GCSEs would be more of a hindrance at LSE for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AcademiCheese)
    Just don't tell them you got an E. I got AABU in mine but I sacked off the U.
    If you get a U grade you haven't received a grade so you don't need to declare it on UCAS and no university can see you got a U. Anything above a U like the OP's E grade must be declared or else very bad things will happen like the university will brand you as dishonest. (I think there's some kind of actual procedure for lying on UCAS that gets even worse than universities not liking you).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by datr)
    If his grades have been confirmed or whatever the nomenclature is he has to declare it (or at least those were the rules a few years ago). However, if this hasn't happened yet just ask your school to reject your physics modules. You then don't have a grade in physics and don't have to declare it.

Yes, i am applying in my gap year, so i think i may have to confirm it.
    I cant just say i dont have a fourth AS as a few unis want to see you have a fourth AS.
    Eg: i would really like to go Nottingham to do accounting and fiancé and they ask for a Pass in your fourth AS, although i am not sure if they like it.

That was why i was asking if i should do another AS in my gap year so i can get like AAAa(e)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clements-)
    Don't bother retaking. There's really no point. I would've thought your GCSEs would be more of a hindrance at LSE for example.
    I know you applied for Economics which is a LOT more competitive but i want to apply for Accounting and Finance for which they ask for AAB, and i will have AAA.

I know its still competitive but i thought i would have a good shot even with my GCSE's?

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of chances. What bewilders me is how you managed to get As in other science subjects, and then **** up so badly in the last one.

ReputationRep:
    i wasnt feeling well when doing the testt, and i completely messsed unit the practicle which we had no idea what it was about.
    Im sure i can get a C/D with barely any revision on the exam i got a U in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uxa595)
    I know you applied for Economics which is a LOT more competitive but i want to apply for Accounting and Finance for which they ask for AAB, and i will have AAA.

I know its still competitive but i thought i would have a good shot even with my GCSE's?
    The only reason I say is because AAAe combined with average GCSEs wouldn't be as strong as others, but to retake the e would be pointless as it would only marginally improve your application. By all means, I don't think you'll have a problem with the others, but LSE is very competitive, where it is also fiercely competitive for A&F. Don't let the grade requirements fool you - they're not always an indication of how competitive somewhere is.

ReputationRep:
    LOL, when said out loud, your grades sound like a country in the middle east or something.

AAAE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clements-)
    The only reason I say is because AAAe combined with average GCSEs wouldn't be as strong as others, but to retake the e would be pointless as it would only marginally improve your application. By all means, I don't think you'll have a problem with the others, but LSE is very competitive, where it is also fiercely competitive for A&F. Don't let the grade requirements fool you - they're not always an indication of how competitive somewhere is.
    Well, i just had a look at the test and i dont know how the heck i managed a U, I could do it now and get more then i had before.
    I am sure i could get it to a C without much work.

If i have a good PS, good references and AAAe (or AAAd/c), i still have no chance?
    I know its very competitive but i do have more then there minimum requirements. Im retaking my C1, C2 modules so il go for an A* as i do find maths easy, would it be worth trying then?

What about warwick, how does it compare to getting in there with my grades?

Also, il hopefully get on a accounting gap year program which i actually want to do and will show my determination.

PS: I PM'ed you about something.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 2, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.