Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Right, I've been talking to my girlfriend and she wants to keep going out next year after year 13. However, even though I do love her, I think it won't be the best (when will i see her?) and I'm extremely paranoid and won't particularly enjoy seeing what she's upto on facebook. I know she probably won't cheat on me... but i don't like the idea of only seeing my girlfriend once a month.

The closest uni choices we've got are york and newcastle... but If i go further away what to do? What have you done?

- Oh, and we've been going out for two years.

ReputationRep:
    Why can you only see her once a month? I'll be seeing my girlfriend every fortnight as she's still at Uni and I've graduated.

Also, you shouldn't base your uni choices on your relationship. Go to the best uni for your prospects and not your relationship.

ReputationRep:
    Well going from london to newcastle every week isn't exactly great. I won't be able to afford going up and down alot, unless I go to york. I will have to see, and yes I'm trying not to let it affect my decisions!

ReputationRep:
    Just split the cost each time. That lessons the burden and it's what we did over the whole summer.

ReputationRep:
    I agree that uni choices shouldn't be based on the realtionship but I feel I'm going to have the same sort of problem with my boyfriend next year. I know for a fact he wouldn't cheat on me but I'm worried things will be tough on our relationship for the next few years due to the workload we'll be getting and travelling to see eachother etc. I'm desperate to stay with him however, like your girlfriend seems to feel about you, so why don't you two just try things out and talk about it later if you don't think you're able to keep the relationship going? I know only seeing her once a month seems horrible but maybe you guys will feel closer when you do see each other (distance makes the heart grow stronger etc etc)? There's no point ending a long term relationship just because you're scared about what could happen - see what things are like before you make any rash decisions

ReputationRep:
    in my life i am so confused also i also want your help because i always fight with my girlfriends for that reason because my uni classes in evening and her classes in morning and i dont give her a good time when i come to home i am so tired so again i can't give time to her

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacke02)
    Well going from london to newcastle every week isn't exactly great. I won't be able to afford going up and down alot, unless I go to york. I will have to see, and yes I'm trying not to let it affect my decisions!
    my boyfriend goes to uni in hull and im in exeter..... so we see eachother twice a term

you are lucky!

but seriously just wait and see. some work, some don't.
    ldr society on here is good if u do decide to go to far away unis.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't do it.

ReputationRep:
    Glad I don't have this problem. My boyfriend moved to London from Bristol for me

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmm. I'll have to wait and see what offers i get. I just don't see how it could be possible from London (its expensive enough to live there).

ReputationRep:
    That's a year away; why don't you see how you feel about your gf then? If you care enough at that time to continue the long distance thing, then go for it. If you don't want to carry on, then break up.

ReputationRep:
    Ask yourself this: 'Is my relationship worth the travelling and cost and long separation?'
    And they do always say 'Absence makes the heart grown fonder'.
    Maybe you should have a read of some of the Long Distance Relationship society pages, advice thread and articles before you make a decision.
    Hope you work it out good luck.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't think it's going to work then it won't really. You both need to be willing to try it and try not to worry. My boyfriend is back at home in Halifax and I'm in York. But he's seeing me every other fortnight via train and he rides a motorbike so when he gets his bigger one he'll start riding up more often. I didn't choose a close uni for him, I chose it because I like it. You need to put youself in a position where you'll be happiest.

ReputationRep:
    If you can't make it work through Uni, then it's not a relationship that will ultimately stand the test of time (obviously). I would say either try to reach some sort of compromise (skyping, halving the cost of trips and taking it in turns etc.) or just break up amicably and be happy being single.

My girlfriend lives 4,000 miles away. We've been together for a year now. It's possible to make it work.

ReputationRep:
    *watches*

Will add my opinion later (also in an LDR + going uni next year), have to go out for now.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 2, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.