The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I would say always are best, and without wings.

But I recommend you try this - http://www.mooncup.co.uk/about-the-mooncup/testimonials.html
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Mooncups are the most disgusting invention in the world.
Reply 3
lol I thought a sanitary towel was a wet wipe or something.
Reply 4
I use always. the blue packet is for night and generally the green packet is good for in the day.
The wings stop the pad from folding and protect the edges. The wings get stuch to the underside of your underwear, not your legs etc.
laura94

You tried it then?
laura94

More disgusting than sitting on a pad soaked in your own blood for hours on end!? :rolleyes:
Reply 7
Go for wings, I'd say.
Antifazian
More disgusting than sitting on a pad soaked in your own blood for hours on end!? :rolleyes:

Touché - sanitary towels end up smelling horrible because they're open to the air .. mooncups are much more hygienic.
Reply 9
Always with silk because without being too vile others tend to get a bit hot and sticky. I hate them with wings though but thats a personal choice, I normally wear tampons tbf
Antifazian

Well since it appears that OP is not too familiar with the strange phenomenon of menstruation yet...I suppose the prospect of this is not quite as daunting as the thought of sticking a piece of silicon up her ahem.

Little baby steps, little baby steps.
PrincessAriadne
I would say always are best, and without wings.

But I recommend you try this - http://www.mooncup.co.uk/about-the-mooncup/testimonials.html

I tried a Mooncup and 3 hours later was in A&E having it removed by a Gynaecologist because it had twisted up inside and I couldn't remove it. I'd like to add that it was nothing I did that caused this - I had used it correctly.

The pain! The blood! The impending TSS!

I'm sure some people do fine but be warned it can go very wrong.

Try Always wingless pads.
Reply 13
Anonymous
I have never bought these myself before so I guess I should know what I need to get when I go out.

Which is better, always or bodyform? Or another brand?

Also how can you tell which one you need.

I had this always one with two wings but where do I attach them to? Help please I am really stuck and I know it sounds wierd but I don't have girls around me to ask.

Have you just started your period?

I think Always are better because the wings (which stick onto the underside of your knickers) stick better. But tampons are the way to go as far as I'm concerned. There's less chance of a leak :eek: and are much, much more hygienic.
Reply 14
:rolleyes: Why are people criticising how others 'deal with' their period? Mooncups, tampons, pads, they're all fine and it depends on what suits you.

OP, it is really up to you, I don't find one 'brand' any better or worse than another. The only thing that matters is the absorbancy - choose an absorbancy that suits your flow. You will probably find you keep switching brands until you find one you like - if I wear pads then it's Cottons because they're so soft. :smile:
Reply 15
I prefer always, but most brands do the job. It's just always seem more absorbent/secure.

Personally I like wings. You fold them down over the sides of your underwear after sticking the main part of the towel down, they are designed to keep it in place more securely. The best idea is to peel the strip off the bottom, stick the main part of the towel down, THEN peel the strip off the wings to stick them down.

It's quite subjective really. You want to try different ones to see which works best for you (with/without wings, normal sized/long, light/medium/heavy absorbency, ultra/maxi (maxi are just thicker versions of ultra, but I find they're exactly the same absorbency!).)

The absorbency is shown by how many drops are filled in on the front of the pack. And you can also get night time ones which are more absorbent and longer.

xxx
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
Oh, and I would stick with wings if you're new to pads. Press it onto your knickers then the wings will fold around it to the underside.
Dogatonic
Well since it appears that OP is not too familiar with the strange phenomenon of menstruation yet...I suppose the prospect of this is not quite as daunting as the thought of sticking a piece of silicon up her ahem.

Little baby steps, little baby steps.

Well then perhaps "most disgusting invention in the world" wasn't the best phrase to use. They certainly aren't any more disgusting than tampons or sanitary towels, less so even.

There's no reason the op couldn't use a Mooncup from the outset if they wanted to, you quickly get over the "omg there's no ******* way..." feeling.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
PrincessAriadne
Touché - sanitary towels end up smelling horrible because they're open to the air .. mooncups are much more hygienic.

tbf i'd recommend tampons over mooncup, especially if OP is young and/or a virgin. Which sounds probable tbh.
Reply 19
PrincessAriadne

Do they? They shouldn't really smell bad at all if changed regularly enough.

Latest