Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by PrincessAriadne)
    I would say always are best, and without wings.

But I recommend you try this - http://www.mooncup.co.uk/about-the-m...timonials.html
    Why would you choose without the wings?

I'm not really interested in mooncups, just stick to the normal pads.

(Original post by Savage91)
    I use always. the blue packet is for night and generally the green packet is good for in the day.
    The wings stop the pad from folding and protect the edges. The wings get stuch to the underside of your underwear, not your legs etc.
    Do people actually buy the night ones or just stick to the day ones and wear them in the night?

(Original post by aprilterri)
    Forget mooncups
    How old are you?
    Any brand will do. The wings go on the bottom of your knickers to stop them from falling off but not all pads have them.
    You choose them by how heavy your flow is but you could just buy a regular and change them accordingly.
    Thank you and to others for your replies.

(Original post by clo-clo1)
    Always with silk because without being too vile others tend to get a bit hot and sticky. I hate them with wings though but thats a personal choice, I normally wear tampons tbf
    I'll keep that in mind about the silk thanks.

(Original post by booksnob)
    Have you just started your period?

I think Always are better because the wings (which stick onto the underside of your knickers) stick better. But tampons are the way to go as far as I'm concerned. There's less chance of a leak :eek: and are much, much more hygienic.
    I think I prefer pads but just never bought them.

(Original post by Cybele)
    OP, it is really up to you, I don't find one 'brand' any better or worse than another. The only thing that matters is the absorbancy - choose an absorbancy that suits your flow. You will probably find you keep switching brands until you find one you like - if I wear pads then it's Cottons because they're so soft.
    Can people tell me how often they change pads in the first few days? Sorry for the question but I want to know in terms of hours or minutes. I know everyone is different. But I get really worried.

(Original post by kpwxx)
    I prefer always, but most brands do the job. It's just always seem more absorbent/secure.

Personally I like wings. You fold them down over the sides of your underwear after sticking the main part of the towel down, they are designed to keep it in place more securely. The best idea is to peel the strip off the bottom, stick the main part of the towel down, THEN peel the strip off the wings to stick them down.

It's quite subjective really. You want to try different ones to see which works best for you (with/without wings, normal sized/long, light/medium/heavy absorbency, ultra/maxi (maxi are just thicker versions of ultra, but I find they're exactly the same absorbency!).)

The absorbency is shown by how many drops are filled in on the front of the pack. And you can also get night time ones which are more absorbent and longer.

xxx
    Thank you for that, I think it has answered most of my questions.

(Original post by Cybele)
    Oh, and I would stick with wings if you're new to pads. Press it onto your knickers then the wings will fold around it to the underside.
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Change the pads as often as you need to. You will 'see' when the pad is getting full, for the first couple of days of your period you will be 'heavier' and will change it more often than your last days. Maybe every couple of hours you'll need a new pad? You can wear a pad overnight too, just choose an overnight pad with the highest absorbancy as obviously you will be going hours without changing it.

ReputationRep:
    get wings! cos otherwise they fall off! and always are good. if u dont have much money, just get the supermarket brand ones, they are fiiine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theological_Hattie)
    I tried a Mooncup and 3 hours later was in A&E having it removed by a Gynaecologist because it had twisted up inside and I couldn't remove it. I'd like to add that it was nothing I did that caused this - I had used it correctly.

The pain! The blood! The impending TSS!

I'm sure some people do fine but be warned it can go very wrong.

Try Always wingless pads.
    :eek: Must be incredibly rare though? Been researching the mooncup and that's the first time I've seen anybody saying anything like that!

ReputationRep:
    Buy Bodyform; they've a much more ethical brand as Always are owned by Procter and Gamble. There's barely any difference and Bodyform tend to be slightly cheaper.

It depends on how heavy your period is at night as to whether you buy night time pads. If you're not bleeding over the regular pads at night, don't bother buying them.

ReputationRep:
    Bodyform tend to be a nicer fit. Wear wings. Get a couple of packs of light, a couple of medium to strong, and a pack of night ones and you're ready to go. Read the instructions in the packet if you have any more questions, it's all in there seriously.

Thank you everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Start off with pads and you will soon learn what flow absorbency you need by how heavy you are and how often you need to change You might find they arent to your taste though, I felt like I was wearing a nappy! xx

ReputationRep:
    I have never heard of mooncup before!!x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    :eek: Must be incredibly rare though? Been researching the mooncup and that's the first time I've seen anybody saying anything like that!
    I hope it is rare. But just be aware of these things. And don't do what some people do and forget about it... that's not nice.

ReputationRep:
    Always without wings! You just stick it onto the inside of your underwear and change whenever you think it necessay...they have little drops on them which show how much they absorb I believe...Blue ones are for night/heavy flow.

Why without wings?

ReputationRep:
    Always with wings. I feel so much more confident with wings because you know the pad will stay in place and it protects the side of your knickers better too.

Surely you must know which ones you have used before though OP, even if you didn't buy them? I find the packs are a dead giveaway
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I use Always - the ones in the pink packet, with wings. I just find it stays better when you're moving around. I get the ones with the fresh smell. I use tampons when I'm at work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)

It depends on how heavy your period is at night as to whether you buy night time pads. If you're not bleeding over the regular pads at night, don't bother buying them.
    I would say the opposite, you may as well start off with the night time ones but if they seem like they're not needed just use your day time ones. No point risking an accident! Personally I always use the night time ones when sleeping but I do tend to be quite heavy. :rolleyes:

Tampons are better but always brand pads are best

ReputationRep:
    I used to use Always with wings when I had periods.I"ve tried all the brands on the market at some point or other and they are the best ones for me.You change them as often as you feel the need to. Oh and there is no smell as long as they are changed regularly. Also, they are fine to be worn at night too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Claire_Fox)
    I would say the opposite, you may as well start off with the night time ones but if they seem like they're not needed just use your day time ones. No point risking an accident! Personally I always use the night time ones when sleeping but I do tend to be quite heavy. :rolleyes:
    I absolutely agree! I don't use tampons unless I'm at work because I'm so heavy and it takes longer to change a tampon than a pad which soon adds up if you're changing every 1-2 hours! However, I had an accident at work and leaked on the back of my uniform (light yellow!) My manager was really nice about it (it's an all female workplace) but rather than risk it I wear tampons and in winter shorts under the dressy overall thing I wear goes down nicely too (I work in a baker's shop). That way, if I do leak, it goes on the shorts not the overall!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louisa17)
    I absolutely agree! I don't use tampons unless I'm at work because I'm so heavy and it takes longer to change a tampon than a pad which soon adds up if you're changing every 1-2 hours! However, I had an accident at work and leaked on the back of my uniform (light yellow!) My manager was really nice about it (it's an all female workplace) but rather than risk it I wear tampons and in winter shorts under the dressy overall thing I wear goes down nicely too (I work in a baker's shop). That way, if I do leak, it goes on the shorts not the overall!
    Awww hunni, I feel for you and I think we've all had an accident at some point unfortunately

I never (well very rarely) use tampons, I just think they are quite uncomfy and because I'm heavy I think pads are better at containing things! Soz for the tmi!

Good tip that though, I do something similar at night and wear a tighter pair of knickers over the ones I'm wearing to keep the pad in place better because I'm quite a restless sleeper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessAriadne)
    I would say always are best, and without wings.

But I recommend you try this - http://www.mooncup.co.uk/about-the-m...timonials.html
    <3 Mooncup

Or tampons. I hated sanitary towels, hated the feeling of 'stuff' coming out, and hated it when they wouldn't flush if I was somewhere without a sanitary bin I'd recommend Always though I guess, don't go for the cheapo option unless you're buying pantyliners.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 3, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.