Turn on thread page Beta

This is very annoying, why does everyone have a job but me!? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    All of my friends have jobs, and I don't know how they got them. All I want is a simple part time job, and my friends have managed to wangle a position in Tescos, or some place in the shopping center or in the local chippy or something, and I can't find a bloody thing
    Nowhere advertises vacancies anymore, and any shop I've been into either refuses to accept CVs (further damaging my confidence) or never bothers gets back to me. I've applied for a few online as well, again with no success
    I feel like such a failure because everyone I know has had a job since they were like 16, and now I'm 17 in Year 13 and still have never had a job. I won't have anything to put on my sodding UCAS application
    Any people my age, how on earth did you get jobs? It's getting close to Christmas, and apparently lots of places start hiring aroundthis time for temp staff. What do I do?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Go into shops, speak to the manager or duty manager. CVs every where.

Job hunting is almost a full time job in itself, you gotta keep going and don't give up!

ReputationRep:
    gaaah bump

ReputationRep:
    It is hard to find a job, but you shouldn't just try a couple places then give up. I am only 14, but I work in a hotel, waitressing. And I am hoping to get a better job soon, and have contacted over 300 places, and finally found about 6 places that will take people my age, and have a possible weekend vacancy. If none of the big chains of shops will take you, e.g. tesco, try some more local places, like cafes and restaurant, holiday parks, bed and breakfasts, or hotels- for cleaning or possibly waitressing. You could try any local tourist atrractions, such as farms that have pony rides etc, waterfalls, amusement parks, or market stalls, post office, newsagent, dog/cat boarding kennels, cinema, theatre, bakery, takeaways, hairdressers, just ask everywhere that is nearby. x

ReputationRep:
    If they refuse a CV it's not because of you, don't let it damage your confidence! I worked in Greggs and we wouldn't take CVs; we'd direct people to the website where they can apply for any positions available. So maybe look more online?

ReputationRep:
    Visit all the restaurants and pubs near to you, lots of places are taking on extra staff for the xmas period. Ive seen lots of shops advertising for seasonal staff too. I used to work in retail and we would not accept CVs, you had to complete an application form. So definately keep on going into places but expect to be asked to do this instead.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same position - except I'm almost 19 and never had a real job. You're not the only one, and it's a really, really tough time for jobs anyway, so don't get too down on yourself. Just keep on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John389)
    All of my friends have jobs, and I don't know how they got them. All I want is a simple part time job, and my friends have managed to wangle a position in Tescos, or some place in the shopping center or in the local chippy or something, and I can't find a bloody thing
    Nowhere advertises vacancies anymore, and any shop I've been into either refuses to accept CVs (further damaging my confidence) or never bothers gets back to me. I've applied for a few online as well, again with no success
    I feel like such a failure because everyone I know has had a job since they were like 16, and now I'm 17 in Year 13 and still have never had a job. I won't have anything to put on my sodding UCAS application
    Any people my age, how on earth did you get jobs? It's getting close to Christmas, and apparently lots of places start hiring aroundthis time for temp staff. What do I do?
    What GCSEs and AS results did you get? It could be an issue at the moment as there are so many people still who are recent graduates not in the jobs they were hoping for and plenty of students around after part time work.

An awful lot of the people at my college who have jobs seem rather miserable having to juggle them alongside A2 however; but i suppose if you need the money it's what you've gotta do.

ReputationRep:
    Trial and Error and confidence. Believe you'll get a job and do everything you can to get one. Get in before everybody else too. I blitzed Plymouth for jobs from the second I touched down here (1st September) a week before the freshers got here. I also scoured the Job Centre website for vacancies daily. Secured three interviews with a bar, Premier Inn and McDonalds. Got the bar job and sat on that whilst waiting for Premier Inn to give me the job, which they did. I can now give my McJob interview to somebody else. But all that was after 12 MONTHS of job searching and technique refining.

You'll get a job in time.

ReputationRep:
    CVs are for small organisations. If you're walking into H+M with a CV then you're doing it wrong.

Try writing speculative letters. Say you're willing to work for 2 weeks for free etc.

It ain't easy.

ReputationRep:
    just search!
    i think the best way is to always be asking people, most people i know got their job through family and friends and stuff. for example, after searching for months and applying some places, my friend said she was going for a job interview and i asked her if they were hiring more than one, she said yes so i called up. i got the job as well.
    always be on the lookout for hirings, go on job seekers websites, ask when u enter a shop, but importantly ask other people!
    and print out loads of cvs so u have them to hand out to people.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about UCAS. I didn't have any work experience when I applied for university, and it made absolutely no difference.

ReputationRep:
    Well cheers everyone for the advice. Its just I must be doing something wrong for lots of people I know to be having jobs whilst I don't, and thats what bugs me.
    I have pretty good Qualifications and Results, it's not like I'm a total moron who failed GCSEs or anything

What would be really great is if anyone around my age or younger told me how they got their jobs?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.