Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am just starting my first essay on chaucer and I'm finding it really hard going, it's almost like writing an English essay on a foreign text. Anyone got any advice on how to write about Chaucer? thanks

ReputationRep:
    When I first read Chaucer, reading out loud (if you've got the Middle English text instead of a modernized version) helps a lot. It's slow, but it makes more sense and comprehension is better. Overall, there are many issues about class, ideas of love, corrupt clergy, commentaries on society and women... The tales say something about the teller; in other words, the Pardoner's tale builds upon what we learn about him in the General Prologue (and that goes for every pilgrim).

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've just completed an A level in English on Chaucer, if you want to email me feel free. [email protected]

Look at corruption, I found lots to talk about with that. Corrupted church and society, how he is supposedly 'working for the church' yet is going against all the morals etc that he is teaching. look at the stories he tells - adam and eve in particular, he gets alot of it wrong. and the tales of the three revelers look at the symbolism of that.

Hope I can help and good luck

xxx

ReputationRep:
    ooh I hadn't noticed that he had got a lot of it wrong, I'm not one for looking up biblical verses but maybe I should get into the habit I'm 500 words in atm so I'm sure I can find somewhere to put it haha, thanks x

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.