Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

School 'no touch' rules to be scrapped watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Why does Gove think we would want to come into physical contact with children? Someone should tell him that the younger ones, in particular, harbour far too many germs.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Oh dear, my facetious comment killed this thread!

It is genuinely interesting to compare the thoughtful responses of the users of the UK Politics Forum with the more general population in this thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1426116

Of course, the young people these measures are intended for would be highly unlikely to be found anywhere in the vicinity of an education website.

ReputationRep:
    all teachers are pedos anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Oh dear, my facetious comment killed this thread!

It is genuinely interesting to compare the thoughtful responses of the users of the UK Politics Forum with the more general population in this thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1426116

Of course, the young people these measures are intended for would be highly unlikely to be found anywhere in the vicinity of an education website.
    :ahee: I was actually considering posting this thread in the General, but I thought I'd get some better responses in here.

ReputationRep:
    Well, as a trainee teacher, I say this is a good thing

ReputationRep:
    if it stops some frankly pathetic and embarrassing situations, why not.

ReputationRep:
    This is brilliant news!!

:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladipidoo)
    Does this mean a teacher could forcefully push away a pupil if he/she wanted to and not face any consequences? :ninja:
    it would just return the situation in schools to the situation everywhere else where people can use reasonable force to prevent harm to themselves or others or to stop someone in the act of committing a crime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the writer)
    all teachers are pedos anyway
    1. you can't spell

2. if all teachers were in fact paedophiles everyone from year 8 upwards would be safe ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluebell100)
    Well, as a trainee teacher, I say this is a good thing
    From reading your opinions on homosexuality on other threads, I'm not surprised that you support this, what I am astounded by is the fact that you're going to be allowed near kids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigbosomsevie)
    From reading your opinions on homosexuality on other threads, I'm not surprised that you support this, what I am astounded by is the fact that you're going to be allowed near kids.
    THIS.

I have no problems with people having any private opinion they want to and being teachers, but really, can we be sure that this person wouldn't let their own prejudices spill over into their teaching? :lolwut:

Also, it disturbs me that teachers would be allowed to touch me, but then I'm autistic and very, very peculiar about being touched, so I guess that's why. Teachers do try and touch me anyway though (hugs and things) and the only way I've been able to stop them in the past is by telling them that they're not allowed - I would be scared to be in education if I knew that they could legitimately hug me against my will and nothing would come of it. (I realise how petty this sounds, but I find being touched by adults exceptionally unpleasant and violating and very distressing.)

ReputationRep:
    my form tutor's hugged me twice before, once on my birthday and once when I got an A in the subject she taught me. hardly makes her a paedo out to get me, does it?

there's a complete difference between that, and a teacher clearly violating a student. about time they did this

ReputationRep:
    Teachers on school trips are not allowed to apply suncream to a pupil, unless the parents sign a disclosure form permitting it.

So skin cancer is okay, but touching a child on the forearms or face to stop them from burning isn't?

It's about time the rules were changed, well done Mr. Gove.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
    I support this idea. Teachers in this country can't even hug a child without being made to look like a paedophile. My teacher wouldn't even shake my hand at the end of the year for fear of breaking the no touch rule. It was pathetic.
    When I left college nearly all my teachers hugged me or shook my hand, but one said "I wish I could hug you, but I'm not allowed"

I was also hugged by a male staff member when I left high school. I knew it wasn't in a weird way, he was my favourite teacher and my brother 2 years before had been his favourite student so it was all just a "well done" thing. My friend told me I should report it, I was like "don't be ridiculous".

ReputationRep:
    Carolyne Willow sounds like an unbelievable jackass.

...could contaminate schools and risks breaching human rights and child protection laws. ...
    And she thinks teachers are the danger to kids :facepalm2:

I approve of this change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ktlaurenroe)
    my form tutor's hugged me twice before, once on my birthday and once when I got an A in the subject she taught me. hardly makes her a paedo out to get me, does it?

there's a complete difference between that, and a teacher clearly violating a student. about time they did this
    I agree with this completely. It's a bit obvious what is appropriate touching and what isn't, and if you're not sure, you can always read the bubble book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)
    THIS.

I have no problems with people having any private opinion they want to and being teachers, but really, can we be sure that this person wouldn't let their own prejudices spill over into their teaching? :lolwut:

Also, it disturbs me that teachers would be allowed to touch me, but then I'm autistic and very, very peculiar about being touched, so I guess that's why. Teachers do try and touch me anyway though (hugs and things) and the only way I've been able to stop them in the past is by telling them that they're not allowed - I would be scared to be in education if I knew that they could legitimately hug me against my will and nothing would come of it. (I realise how petty this sounds, but I find being touched by adults exceptionally unpleasant and violating and very distressing.)
    No-one can hug you against your will. And this isn't what it's trying to do. If a teacher tried to hug you and knew about your Autism they're very thick. Teachers are supposed to have training about Autism. Plus if they tried to hug you and you said "no please don't" they would be like "oh, sorry" not "I don't care, let me hug you against your will"

ReputationRep:
    I support this idea although this means that all teachers should be 'watched' especially the ones which act suspiciously around children. Like more assessments and surprise visits to make sure that teachers are not doing more than stated above. Children should also have a place to go if they do get into trouble to teoll someone in confidence and they should be encouraged to use this if needed. I think it's a good idea as society has gone wayward these days we need more discipline in our schools.

ReputationRep:
    We had a '6 inch rule', where students couldn't be within 6 inches of eachother...
    Let alone teachers being allowed to go near us.

I welcome it all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HEJ92)
    I agree with this completely. It's a bit obvious what is appropriate touching and what isn't, and if you're not sure, you can always read the bubble book.
    Exactly. "no touching" is just ridiculous, especially when you consider some of the examples mentioned earlier in the thread :| seems like some teachers are just scared of being accused, which is totally unnecessary.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.