Turn on thread page Beta

If you could press a button and... watch

ReputationRep:
    If you could press a button and make everyone on the planet an atheist, would you?

For me, it's a no brainer - we'd have peace in the Middle-East in days, people would be willing to accept things like stem cell research and we could stop worrying about terrorist attacks.

Would you press the atheist button? If not, why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Addzter)
    For me, it's a no brainer - we'd have peace in the Middle-East in days, people would be willing to accept things like stem cell research and we could stop worrying about terrorist attacks.
    Ah to be this naive...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, purely out of curiosity.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No it would be unaturl and wrong. I really doubt there would still be peace in the middle east as their would still be a war over who owned the land. The same wars would happen just with different excuses.

What right do you have to force your beliefs on others? By pressing that button you are no better than the extremist religious nut jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sithius)
    Ah to be this naive...
    If there was no religion, problems like those I mentioned would be much easier to solve.

ReputationRep:
    I would yes.

I wouldn't say there would be peace in the middle east..There would still be the problem of the Israeli's stealing everyone's land under gun point.

ReputationRep:
    If I could press a button and make all people intelligent, reasonable people I would. If that happens to make them all atheists, or not, so be it. But I don't think making everyone an atheist is going to stop them being irrational nutcases. People would find other things to fight about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Read the riot act)
    I would yes.

I wouldn't say there would be peace in the middle east..There would still be the problem of the Israeli's stealing everyone's land under gun point.
    But they'd stop believing it was their God-given right to have that land. That would certainly make it easier to solve.

ReputationRep:
    If there was no religion, problems like those I mentioned would be much easier to solve.
    Doubtful. How often do you see a Christian in our country flying a plane into a building?

It's politics. Take away religion and things like 9/11 would still happen. Religion is merely the vehicle that the attack is carried out in. For example, there are atheists in foxholes. They fight for their country, right? It's the same for a terrorist. They die for their religion, but it's ultimately caused by the political problems between America (or some other Western country) and theirs. Religion is fundamentally unnecessary for such things to occur.

ReputationRep:
    If everyone was an Atheist, we'd just find new things to go to war over.

Like oil.

Owait...

ReputationRep:
    If you could press a button and make everyone on the planet an atheist, would you?

Would you press the atheist button? If not, why?
    ETA are a terrorist group and are not religiously affliated. I believe everyone should have the choice to be religious or not. I've chosen to reject religion but I don't think this planet would gain much by completely removing it.

The only thing I'd really want to see change is the level of influence religion has with regards to politics, laws and social status (i.e married men finding it easier to progress to heads of companies than un-married men for example. Yes...I really did look into that :o: ).

ReputationRep:
    TBH I'd press any button no matter what it did

ReputationRep:
    That Middle East comment was purely retarded.

ReputationRep:
    Religion does a lot of good y'know. And this is coming from a fellow atheist.

ReputationRep:
    Ah - it's cute that you think all the world's problems are caused by religion. Innocence in ignorance There's this little thing called politics...

ReputationRep:
    Surely it would be better to press a button to make the whole world Communist?

Then there would be no fighting at all, except for racially, religiously and personally motivated reasons.

Ok, a Communist, same race, same religion and no personality button.
    OR, a much simpler fix, we kill everyone on the planet.

Then there would be no fighting whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    No.

I don't particularly have a penchant for fascism.

I accept that there are people out there with different religious and spiritual beliefs than mine and as such, don't feel a burning desire to have everyone believe the same things as me.

ReputationRep:
    The Soviet Union was officially atheist it wasn't exactly a harmonious, peaceful society.

I would push the button, I just don't think it'd result in world peace or anything.

ReputationRep:
    well the thing about religion i really like is it guides people to live good lives, so i would be worried about where people would be without this guidence...

ReputationRep:
    (Not trying to sound patronising, but I'm sure it'll come across as such...)
    I think some people still need religion. Religion offers control, stability and the change to be ignorant - "ignorance is bliss". If you've got lots of problems in your life, religion tells you that there's a reason and that everything will be alright, so you don't have to worry about everything.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 4, 2010
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.