Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Without religion there would still be war - political discrepancies and the like. So if we tweak everyone's minds to make them all believe the same thing, there'd be no more war, right?

It'd take thirty seconds before a world in which everyone was a clone of each other would become unbearable.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

To assert that removing religion from the middle east would immediately make it peaceful, however, shows that you are spectacularly ignorant about the region.

There would also be a few years of political unrest while a whole load of states re-organised how they are run. Bear in mind though, just because people didn't believe in God any more wouldn't mean that they wouldn't have the same "moral" beliefs, things like stoning women to death for getting raped would still happen. The "morals" from religion would persist, for a while at least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miike1234)
    TBH I'd press any button no matter what it did
    I hope this doesn't happen to you
    http://roosterteeth.com/archive/?id=1371

ReputationRep:
    religion isn't the only thing wars are started by. I'm sure if you think about it you'll realise there are other reasons wars are started.

ReputationRep:
    I would, just to see what new sects/cults/religions/beliefs were formed in a society so different than when the ones many people follow were formed

As for there being peace and acceptence of stem cell research I disagree. You're getting rid of religion, not morals or the one cause for all diasgreements between people.

Would anyone press a button to make us all believe in the same God?

ReputationRep:
    who would we pray to on exam nights in this scenario?

ReputationRep:
    It depends on whether the button was BIG, RED AND SHINY or not...

ReputationRep:
    What a bad OP

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

There would be a lot more peace in the world without religion; that's true for sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mann18)
    Surely it would be better to press a button to make the whole world Communist?

Then there would be no fighting at all, except for racially, religiously and personally motivated reasons.

Ok, a Communist, same race, same religion and no personality button.
    OR, a much simpler fix, we kill everyone on the planet.

Then there would be no fighting whatsoever.
    Or just make everyone a pacifist and not go through all your bother...

ReputationRep:
    no, because I wouldn't want to stop people having the free will to choose religion or their own beliefs. and religion/god brings some people a lot of comfort in their lives which i wouldn't want to take away, although i'm not denying that religion can cause conflict and problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aesc)
    (Not trying to sound patronising, but I'm sure it'll come across as such...)
    I think some people still need religion. Religion offers control, stability and the change to be ignorant - "ignorance is bliss". If you've got lots of problems in your life, religion tells you that there's a reason and that everything will be alright, so you don't have to worry about everything.
    Yes because reading a book solves everything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovely_me)
    Or just make everyone a pacifist and not go through all your bother...
    Killing everyone would be much easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mann18)
    Killing everyone would be much easier.
    Yeah...or that :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Agnosticism > Atheism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovely_me)
    Yeah...or that :erm:
    :sigh:

OK, we'll try things your way, then my way, THEN kill everyone if we both fail. That's my final offer.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sensing some militant atheism in this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Nah. Would be boring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    Yes because reading a book solves everything
    Hey, I didn't say it makes sense
    I think it's more of a parental thing, that you have a "father who art in heaven" who can go into school and deal with the bully and make everything better (sorry if I'm losing you a bit) when you pray
    But ho-hum, whatever takes their fancy

ReputationRep:
    Wars are more politically motivated than religiously.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 4, 2010
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.