Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'd do it for the lulz.

That, and it gets rid of the main opposition to stem cell research...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Addzter)
    If you could press a button and make everyone on the planet an atheist, would you?

For me, it's a no brainer - we'd have peace in the Middle-East in days, people would be willing to accept things like stem cell research and we could stop worrying about terrorist attacks.

Would you press the atheist button? If not, why?
    They'd still be wars and terrorism

Wars will be started over land, weapons, oil, gold - None of this is due to religion

Terrorism isnt "always" religiously related, remember when the IRA ... yeah

The same things will exist just over a different reason, didn't bush invade the middle east because of "Nuclear weapons /oil" not because they were Muslim but because bush was a dip *****.

I think your figurative button just blew up, and not over religion see the irony. You seem like one of the grumpiest atheist ive met, usually atheist are cool with what others believe.

ReputationRep:
    People would find other things to argue over, so no.

I don't want people to all think the same, if people believe in religion and are not extreme with it (i.e. terrorists) then they're not causing harm for believing in a god. Not all terrorists are religious zealots, so it wouldn't end everything that is bad in the world.

ReputationRep:
    Only if those who previously were fanatics of one religion or another realised how deluded they were.
    I would literally adore to see the truth dawning upon them :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tefhel)
    Ah - it's cute that you think all the world's problems are caused by religion. Innocence in ignorance There's this little thing called politics...

Agreed!

ReputationRep:
    If you could press a button and make everyone on the planet an atheist, would you?

For me, it's a no brainer - we'd have peace in the Middle-East in days, people would be willing to accept things like stem cell research and we could stop worrying about terrorist attacks.

That button would hold the most power and responsibility of any button that could ever be made. Think of how much it would change!

ReputationRep:
    Nope. The world would hange drastically... And personally I don't quite know exactly how it would change.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, because it takes a way an aspect of free-will. People have the right to choose what they want to believe, and I wouldn't change that just to satisfy my own curiosity.

ReputationRep:

i wouldn't. Personally i think sometimes there would be less problems without religion, but there are a lot of times in people's lives where religion is the 'drive' behind doing good in the world. and then religion can act as a scapegoat for problems in some people's lives. But there are loads of aetheist traits that could benefit the earth too. This question is so difficult..
    an aetheist dial, now that may be easier

ReputationRep:
    Nobody seen the South Park episode where Cartman wants a Nintendo Wii?

If you have you'll know what I'm talking about, if not then you'll be confused!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nizzay!)
    I'm sensing some militant atheism in this thread.
    Idiotic comment is idiotic.

ReputationRep:
    As radical as some religions may be, they still offer moral conduct. Islam is a good example of this because it encourages women to dress modestly, abstains from intoxications such as alcohol and nicotine, encourages couples to say loyal to each other, etc. I'm not saying Islam is omnibenevolent because it has its harsh decrees against acts such as homosexuality. Christianity preaches the same message, nonetheless as Christian countries lose their religious beliefs, more immoral things are taking place, namely, young girls getting pregnant at young ages, teenagers intoxicating their bodies, priests (a lot of which are homosexual) sexually abusing children and young girls wearing short skirts, high heels and showing their stomachs and breasts. If you go to countries in the Middle East you don't see none of that, solely because they maintain their religious beliefs. Therefore, no, I wouldn't push the button. Besides, there's nothing wrong with believing in God. For most people, it's a motivation to succeed in life.

I'm an atheist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovely_me)
    Idiotic comment is idiotic.
    The fuuuu...

OP seems pretty hostile towards religion by introducing a button that will wipe out thiests/religion. The whole concept of it is pretty naive tbh.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.