Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

Just joined up and have a bit of knowledge I'd want to share with you, guys and girls.

I'll check back on this thread daily if you have any questions about what supps to take, what workouts you should do, what foods you should eat etc.

But before I start, let me tell you something about me.
    As the thread name suggests, I go to the gym, however I'm nowhere in terms of Jay Cutler or Ronnie Coleman, I'm just a 158lbs gym junkie who goes 5 days a week.. I want to hopefully become a bodybuilder one day (inb4 roids), as when I started going to the gym I was weedy as ****.

So, if you have any questions you want answering, I'll do the best I can to guide you in the right direction.

If you're here to troll gtfo

ReputationRep:
    I'm new to the gym! What should I do?

Whoa whoa, let me tell you something first.
    You need to know why you're going there, if you're going to lose weight and tone up, or to bulk up, you need to know a few things.
    80% of the time, failures in the gym usually lead to your diet, if you're an annorexic stick thin person, then get out of it, if you're eating KFC 7 times a week then you need to stop, every now and then you can engage in "cheat meals" IE a KFC or burger king so you can remember what good food tastes like
    The average diet should consist of:
    Carbs: These are very important, they will fuel your body so you can work out, there are two types, simple and complex. Simple carbs can be found in white rice, bread and fruits, complex carbs can be found in brown rice, oats and more (Research carbs)
    Fats: By fats I don't mean KFC and McDonalds, although these can be eaten, it's better to eat poly-unsaturated fats and mono-unsaturated fats as these can lower cholesterol which is handy for those who are cutting, as this is a huge benefit as you will be able to do more cardio based exercise like running.
    But don't cut saturated fats out of your diet completely, you will want to have a good balance of all of them, and be fair many foods get their taste from this :P
    You might want to invest in some equipment, gloves can protect your hands, or if you're hardy warrior like me :P you can invest in some chalk to roughen up your hands and increase your grip (this is good for deadlifts, shrugs and farmers walks).

You will most likely need to buy some protein powders to boost your intake, but be aware these are SUPPLIMENTS, these should NOT be depended on for the bulk of your diet, you will need to take 3-5 a day to bulk to see good results in putting on muscle, you should eat at least 3000-4000 calories a day if you're serious about bulking, if you're trying to cut and turn your muscle into more lean tissue, then you should eat a maintance calorie count of about 1500 a day.
    When you're cutting, try to eat as much lean meat and vegetables as you can, you need to deplete yourself of carbs and drink as little water as you can, if you drink too much water, you will bloat yourself and your muscles will lose their definition.
    Don't waste your money on these expensive hi-tech suppliments like Maximuscle, websites such as www.myprotein.co.uk and www.bodybuildingwarehouse.co.uk provide cheap suppliments that essentially do the same for a whole lot less. If you join myprotein.co.uk, please use my referral code I will be very grateful

Ok, so I've read all of that.. Now what should i actually do at the gym?

It depends, if you want to cut, do exercises such as cardio, as well as high volume training, by that I mean high rep count (12/15/20) with low weight, if you want to bulk, do minimal cardio (although some is good) and do low voume-high weight training, a rep range of 6-8 reps on the 5th/4th/3rd/2nd/1st heaviest weight should do it.
    Many people tend to forget they have legs, as well as the hardest to train, these are most vital, if you have an absolutely swole upper body but little legs, you will get mocked, try working out from the bottom up, do exercises such as squats, deadlifts, lunges and calf raises to bulk your legs up.
    For the upper body, do exercises such as bench-press, pectoral flies, military presses, concentration curls, tricep dips, pull ups, t-bar rows, seated rows, incline and decline benchpress and so many more, research and you'll find so many exercises.
    Bench press exercises, whether Dumbell or barbell will hit your chest, incline will hit the pectoralis major (upper pec) while the rest will hit the pectoralis minor (the lower pec).
    You will find that the incline will be the hardest, decline will be easiest and flatbench will be in between. So a good example is incline bench 60kg, decline bench 80kg and flatbench 70kg.
    Shoulder exercises, are good and also enjoyable for me, there are 3 parts to your shoulders, they are called deltoids, you have the anterior (front) , medial (middle) and posterior (rear). Military press, standing will hit the medial and anterior deltoids, seated military press will hit anterior and medial too.
    To do the posterior deltoid, do rear deltoid flies, you will be able to do this on a pec-deck (pectoral fly machine) just set the handles to the minimal setting, sit on the machine, grab the handles and make a swimming type of motion, this exercises will do your upper back nicely, as well as your traps (neck muscles).
    Back exercises: For this, I'll seperate them into 2 types, upper and lower.
    Upper exercises for muscles such as Latissmus Dorsi, Rhomboids etc can be done by Seated rows, pullups and t-bar rows. T-bar rows are amazing, you will feel it doing these.
    Most gyms won't have a T-bar machine, but an easy replacement for this is:
    Get a barbell, if there is a stand lying about for the ezbars and rubber bars, put one end into that stand, then put the desired weight on the other side, get a V bar (usually found by the lat pulldown machine) and use it to lift the bar. Killer back workout, I do this everytime one Back days.
    Thats all for now, I'm off to the gym so when I get back I'll write a bit more.

Ciao

ReputationRep:
    how does your body cope with 5 days?

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever used stims. What are they like (I know they're not competition legal).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Freshie)
    how does your body cope with 5 days?
    He has just joined, don't expect him to be squatting 200kg and benching 120kg yet. He's proabably still learning how to curl a dumbell.

Good luck with your training though OP, train hard-drink protein shakes-eat eggs and meat-drink water and you'll be a beast in no time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinda.college)
    He has just joined, don't expect him to be squatting 200kg and benching 120kg yet. He's proabably still learning how to curl a dumbell.

Good luck with your training though OP, train hard-drink protein shakes-eat eggs and meat-drink water and you'll be a beast in no time
    I'm well aware of what to do :rolleyes:

Quite rightly, I have just joined, this forum I mean, I've been going to my gym for about a year, my stats are (I'm proud of them and they're more than what they were when I started):

Squat- 90kg for 6 reps (previously followed by sets starting at 40, 50, 60, 70 and 80kg for 6 reps in each set)
    Benchpress:
    Incline- 60kg for 6 reps, followed by sets starting at 30kg, 40kg, 45kg, 50kg and 60kg)
    Decline- 75kg x 6 followed by sets started at 40kg, 50kg, 60kg, 65kg and 70kg.
    Flat- 70kg x 6 " " " " " 40kg, 50kg, 55kg, 60kg, 65kg

You mention curling a dumbell Well I love curling, for that:

Bicep curl (with ezbar) seated- 45kg x 6 followed by sets started at 15kg, 20kg, 30kg, 35kg and 40kg.

More to come when I get back from the gym

ReputationRep:
    Trollolololol

ReputationRep:
    Still pretty weedy if you're 158lb :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    Trollolololol
    strong troll

ReputationRep:
    Leave it to SMed and Matt Griff. There's already some guy with a similar thread to this as well.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.