Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I don't know if I'm imagining it or not, and I'm not really creating this thread to list signs and ask what they mean. The problem is that I think she 'likes' me and I don't really know if I do or not, and either way I don't think getting into a relationship with a housemate is really a good idea. What should I do/say? I know how I've felt about girls I've gone out with before and this isn't really it, but I don't want it to turn awkward. Should I confront the issue or just hope it passes?

ReputationRep:
    It might be more awkward if you bring it up and it turns out that she's just being nice and doesn't actually fancy you.

If you're not interested then just don't give her the idea that you are. Just act normally!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I don't know if I'm imagining it or not, and I'm not really creating this thread to list signs and ask what they mean. The problem is that I think she 'likes' me and I don't really know if I do or not, and either way I don't think getting into a relationship with a housemate is really a good idea. What should I do/say? I know how I've felt about girls I've gone out with before and this isn't really it, but I don't want it to turn awkward. Should I confront the issue or just hope it passes?
    just ignore it until she actually does something. that way you don't have to bring it up when she doesn't fancies you but being nice

ReputationRep:
    "Accidentally" call her in to your room whilst you're naked.

Then you'll get a definitive answer.

ReputationRep:
    ignore the issue! in my experience, flings with flatmates can be the worst thing to live with... especially if you are good mates (but dont want anything more), makes things weird and awkward. you sound like you aren't into her in that way, so just make sure you dont give her any signs that you are interested and just keep things in the friendzone.

ReputationRep:
    At this point don't do or say anything, you don't even know if she actually fancies you or not. Bringing it up will certainly make things awkward. Unless she starts coming on to you really strongly, just leave it.

ReputationRep:
    Friends with benefits? :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    The advice to just do nothing and steer clear is good- but if that doesn't work, there is a nuclear option..

A proactive but subtle step you can take to firmly friend-zoning someone is to casually fling in stuff about your own love life whilst chatting to her, eg, "I fancy this girl on my course, how do I approach her?" etc. If she IS into you, hopefully this will indicate that you aren't, and if she ISN'T, well, she'll simply be happy to help and appreciate you confiding in her. Win win.

Mind, don't make up fictional crushes just for this purpose, or you might have to field follow-up enquiries and then lie again, which apart from being morally questionable is also a lot of effort!

ReputationRep:
    I agree you should steer clear.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    What has she said or done to make you think she fancies you?

ReputationRep:
    Probably imaging it. Better to leave it alone otherwise you'll look very silly.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 2, 2010
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.