Arranged marriges Watch

This discussion is closed.
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
Indeed. Though, t'is funny...my brother dated various girls for a few years and then practically asked for one. Me ever get an arranged marriage? No way hozay.
No, unless I ask for it. They'd rather I find someone on my own
EI_123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Indeed. Though, t'is funny...my brother dated various girls for a few years and then practically asked for one. Me ever get an arranged marriage? No way hozay.
I still feel pity for you, do you consider it funny? ...
(By the way that's a rhetoric question ,please don't answer me).
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by bono)
and with the %'s of affairs, adultery, and divorces, there may be a point........
Well we wouldn't know if arranged marriages work because we don't have the statistics. But even if they don't, people are unlikely to get out of them if they didn't even choose their partner on their own.
Saf!
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by bono)
you mean personality wise?
most of the time......................but i wouldn't really wanna marry sum1 .............eh...............ug ly (that sounds nasty)..............but then again i don't think appearance is such a big issue :rolleyes:
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I wouldn't go for one, personally.
Saf!
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
but sumtimes i think arranged marriages help in cartain cases.....................if u look at countries where arranged marriages are normal, they don't get a lot of teenage pregnancies
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Eternal Idol)
I still feel pity for you, do you consider it funny? ...
(By the way that's a rhetoric question ,please don't answer me).
What!?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Saf!)
but sumtimes i think arranged marriages help in cartain cases.....................if u look at countries where arranged marriages are normal, they don't get a lot of teenage pregnancies
Well it's hardly a fair assessment when you'd be stoned to death for it in a few of those countries, and the rest have a tendancy to suppress the stats, "keep it in the family" sort of thing.
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
What!?
A rhetoric question, a question wich I already know the answer, it's meant to think about it, not to answer it.

(I've tried to explain it well but I'm not a native english speaker, sorry).
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Saf!)
Yeh......real powerful argument for women's rights this is! "No. You are not enough of a human being to choose who or when you marry, but at least you won't get knocked up till you're 18 so that's alright then"
sarahwhatevver
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Some traditions tend to get a little too overboard but I think that it sounds reasonable if both (the girl and the guy) are ok with the idea...according to tradition the 'kids' are not mature enough to know what is 'really' good for them and hence, the parents should decide...Actually, I dont know if its right or not! :confused:

i don't now about religions but sum cultures the parents always arrange the marriage

Yeah, people do that back from where I come...its generally pretty ok actually...

Well we wouldn't know if arranged marriages work because we don't have the statistics. But even if they don't, people are unlikely to get out of them if they didn't even choose their partner on their own.

Generally, if someone's marriage has been arranged and they are not happy with it, chances are that they would just keep quiet about it and try to live with it, it is a matter of "family honour". If they agreed to the arranged marriage in the first place it is more likely that they value traditions and customs as much, if not more than personal happiness...

Originally posted by Howard:
Yeh......real powerful argument for women's rights this is! "No. You are not enough of a human being to choose who or when you marry, but at least you won't get knocked up till you're 18 so that's alright then"

I dont think it is an only women's thing actually....?
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Originally posted by Howard:

I dont think it is an only women's thing actually....?
Oh, so teenage boys can get pregnant too can they? What will they think of next?
capslock
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Saf!)
we were having a disscussion about tis in school today................wot do u guys think about it?? :confused:
Absolutely bollox. How on earth can you marry someone if you don't *KNOW* them, to me its completely incoherent and should be BANNED.
bumblebee86
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
I think its morally incorrect, and somewhat distasteful. Its not unconditioanl love.

However we all have to respect the customs and traditions of other cultures.
You have a good way of putting your views forward.
bumblebee86
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Saf!)
i think personality is better than gud looks
Only ugly people say that. Of course looks matter.
bumblebee86
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by capslock)
Absolutely bollox. How on earth can you marry someone if you don't *KNOW* them, to me its completely incoherent and should be BANNED.
lol.. joka..
sarahwhatevver
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Oh, so teenage boys can get pregnant too can they? What will they think of next?
You misunderdtood what I was trying to say...the issue is not one sided, that is, to prevent only girls from the 'evils of society' as some people may like to put it. It is as much of a concern for such people to make sure that their sons value morality. ( I do not understand how they come up with that but that is besides the point...)
I am not taking sides, just considering both sides of the argument...honestly speaking I am unsure of whether to agree or not!
Dil
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think that there are some misconcepetions about arranged marriages going around. I dont know about other religions (namely Islam, Hinduism) but for Sikhs residing in England, the marriage isn't forced! There is a big selection process where you look through available boys/girls "on the market". Also, it is not just the parents that have the say in the marriage. I'd say that the final word is your own and you get to talk to the person to see if you like them first- it's not like blind date or something :eek:
Furthermore, I know of a few couples (three of my cousins) that have got married through a "love marriage", where they met their partner and asked their parents if they could marry them. The parents then check out the person to see if they agree (I think).
Although I haven't got any stats to back it up, I reckon that the % for divorces in arranged marriages is lower...
hitchhiker_13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Marriage means different things to different people, and we shouldn't try to impose one societies views and traditions on another, provided the other isn't harmful. So if both are free to reject an arrange marriage, but agree to it without being coerced, then I think it is fine.

I know a couple who had an arranged marriage over 20 years ago, and they are both very happy. It's not for everyone but it works sfor some people.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by sarahwhatevver)
You misunderdtood what I was trying to say...the issue is not one sided, that is, to prevent only girls from the 'evils of society' as some people may like to put it. It is as much of a concern for such people to make sure that their sons value morality. ( I do not understand how they come up with that but that is besides the point...)
I am not taking sides, just considering both sides of the argument...honestly speaking I am unsure of whether to agree or not!
Listen. (or rather READ) I was answering a specific point that someone raised about arranged marriages reducing teenage pregnancies.

I'll move on to what I think are some of the positive and negative impacts arranged marriages might have on young men, when I am ready, and if I can be bothered.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (53)
98.15%
No (1)
1.85%

Watched Threads