This discussion is closed.
sarahwhatevver
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Dil)
I think that there are some misconcepetions about arranged marriages going around. I dont know about other religions (namely Islam, Hinduism) but for Sikhs residing in England, the marriage isn't forced! There is a big selection process where you look through available boys/girls "on the market". Also, it is not just the parents that have the say in the marriage. I'd say that the final word is your own and you get to talk to the person to see if you like them first- it's not like blind date or something :eek:
Furthermore, I know of a few couples (three of my cousins) that have got married through a "love marriage", where they met their partner and asked their parents if they could marry them. The parents then check out the person to see if they agree (I think).
Although I haven't got any stats to back it up, I reckon that the % for divorces in arranged marriages is lower...
That should clarify some things for people...I dont really know about the divorce rate though, if people could agree to an arranged marriage they choose to keep silent about their probelms perhaps?

I'll move on to what I think are some of the positive and negative impacts arranged marriages might have on young men, when I am ready, and if I can be bothered.
This is just a discussion, I dont see why you have to get angry...?
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by sarahwhatevver)
That should clarify some things for people...I dont really know about the divorce rate though, if people could agree to an arranged marriage they choose to keep silent about their probelms perhaps?

I'll move on to what I think are some of the positive and negative impacts arranged marriages might have on young men, when I am ready, and if I can be bothered.
This is just a discussion, I dont see why you have to get angry...?
Apologies. Didn't mean it to come across that way......
sarahwhatevver
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Apologies. Didn't mean it to come across that way......
hehe...no worries! truce?
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by sarahwhatevver)
hehe...no worries! truce?
Absolutely!
cherrydrops1985
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
i like the idea of arranged marriage, in my family. we meet a guy/gal thru parents, and we get to know each other, have convos over dinner and by ourselves. get to meet the fam. its rlly cool. like a whole datin agency thing! u meet as many times until ur sure u like this person nd then get engaged! u take asian sweets (mithai) over to their house, sweeten everyones mouth and blah blah! awww!
Falguni
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Dil)
I think that there are some misconcepetions about arranged marriages going around. I dont know about other religions (namely Islam, Hinduism) but for Sikhs residing in England, the marriage isn't forced! There is a big selection process where you look through available boys/girls "on the market". Also, it is not just the parents that have the say in the marriage. I'd say that the final word is your own and you get to talk to the person to see if you like them first- it's not like blind date or something :eek:
Furthermore, I know of a few couples (three of my cousins) that have got married through a "love marriage", where they met their partner and asked their parents if they could marry them. The parents then check out the person to see if they agree (I think).
Although I haven't got any stats to back it up, I reckon that the % for divorces in arranged marriages is lower...
yes for hindus is not a 'forced' marriage usually either. an arranged marriage is more like when the parents help their kids find suitable life partners from a good background and good families, but you have the final say.

for example my parents had an 'arranged' marriage but they werent forced or anything and theyve been happy together for 20 years.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
its still strange
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Some of my friends are going to marry their cousins, which seems odd to me.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
Some of my friends are going to marry their cousins, which seems odd to me.
odd
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (149)
60.57%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.47%
No- I want it (69)
28.05%
No- I don't want it (17)
6.91%

Watched Threads