Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Teacher's should need some kind of 'warrant' whenever they wish to conduct a search. For obvious reasons it's not fair if they're able to do it when and to whom they will.

Lol I don't agree with the 'I'd punch him if he tried comment' but I can't say the 'that's what we need to keep those brats in line' or 'bring back the cane' comments are much of an improvement..

ReputationRep:
    The first few posts are why we need this. Kids these days have bad attitudes and no respect for teachers or fellow students and people in general.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by victorovich1990)
    Teacher's should need some kind of 'warrant' whenever they wish to conduct a search. For obvious reasons it's not fair if they're able to do it when and to whom they will.

Lol I don't agree with the 'I'd punch him if he tried comment' but I can't say the 'that's what we need to keep those brats in line' or 'bring back the cane' comments are much of an improvement..
    Let's be honest though; this thread is hardly a beacon of rationality. On the one hand we have people saying, 'I'd knock him out if he touched me, and on the other hand we have sentiments like, 'teachers are power-crazed individuals who would murder us in our beds given half a chance'.

I for one am in favour of this, simply because it is nothing like corporal punishment. Physically restraining a child when they're presenting a danger to themselves or others around them is completely different to caning them.

ReputationRep:
    I'm for it.

There are schools out there where conventional teaching methods just don't work. As a teacher you can't just go 'shush' and then start your clash with every pupil in complete attentive silence. There are so many kids that disrupt classes and don't care that others want to learn. Teachers should have proper ways to deal with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    I'd refuse, if he tried I'd just punch them.
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chronic_fatigue)
    The first few posts are why we need this. Kids these days have bad attitudes and no respect for teachers or fellow students and people in general.
    I agree completly. Some think they are above and beyond the law. We have police for a reason in the world, and teachers need to be given more power to become the same in school. In my old school you couldnt be serched, 1.) a danger for all students from weapons and theft 2.) Illegal substances are being delt, and problems caused between pupils because of this.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I've done work experience in a primary school which had a "no touch" policy, and it was impossible to work with to be honest, the inability to separate two pupils who are fighting, the inability to hug a child who has just fallen over is ridiculous!
    I personally think this'll actually help education because it reinforces the fact that teachers are the ones with the power, which is what they are supposed to be!

ReputationRep:
    How so? If a teacher ever put their hands on me ***** going down ya'll !
    The whole point is **** will already be going down. They won't lay a finger on you unless you give them good reason to. If you then smack them, then you are doubly in the pooper.

ReputationRep:
    Well done Gove. I think we should also look at bringing back the cane....and hanging. Not just for murderers, but for unruly school children too. Of course, as the compassionate Conservatives, children will be given at least 2 warnings before they are sentenced to death. Third strike and they're out. The children have nobody else to blame but themselves.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Teveth)
    Well done Gove. I think we should also look at bringing back the cane....and hanging. Not just for murderers, but for unruly school children too. Of course, as the compassionate Conservatives, children will be given at least 2 warnings before they are sentenced to death. Third strike and they're out. The children have nobody else to blame but themselves.
    Yes, because allowing teachers to comfort upset pupils or restrain pupils who are being physically violent, is one step towards the re-introduction of corporal and capital punishment.[/sarcasm]

Yes, we Tories can do sarcasm too.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    I've done work experience in a primary school which had a "no touch" policy, and it was impossible to work with to be honest, the inability to separate two pupils who are fighting, the inability to hug a child who has just fallen over is ridiculous!
    I personally think this'll actually help education because it reinforces the fact that teachers are the ones with the power, which is what they are supposed to be!
    I completely agree.

The problem at the moment is that kids don't see adults as authority. Probably stems from home but not always.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chronic_fatigue)
    Wrong. I only said I'd punch or harm a teacher if they tried to man handle me out of the class-room. My attitude is completely fine, I'm an able well-behaved student, but if a teacher tries touching me ***** going down. Simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 69Crazyfists)
    The whole point is **** will already be going down. They won't lay a finger on you unless you give them good reason to. If you then smack them, then you are doubly in the pooper.
    Yeah I'd only lay a hand on a teacher if they done something to me first. I don't ever ever start trouble/fights.

ReputationRep:
    Completely support it, why shouldn't teachers be allowed to restrain a pupil who is causing trouble or attacking another pupil? Why shouldn't they be allowed to comfort pupils who are upset and distressed?

It makes perfect sense.

Edit to add we were randomly searched at my secondary school and that was five years ago.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Surely its the same s what bouncers can do at clubs as you to empty your pockets and pat you down? For that kind of a search they do not need a warrent so not sure where people are getting that from. Look at workplaces they can do pocket and locker and even car searches if you are suspected of theift

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they should be able to search pupils.

I'd be much more comfortable if only senior members of staff were given these powers.

ReputationRep:
    I'd refuse, if he tried I'd just punch them.
    I love all your posts :yes:

ReputationRep:
    It's not like they've been given the thumbs up to whip students. I think people are making too much of a drama out of this, its pretty insignificant to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Teachers SHOULD be able to restrain children - if there is a fight going on it's the easiest way to stop it - but not so sure about searching them
    The no touch rule was a bit stupid anyway, if a kid falls over and is crying a hug goes a long way.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'd only lay a hand on a teacher if they done something to me first. I don't ever ever start trouble/fights.
    In that case neither you or your teachers need to worry.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.