Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well it's a step in the right direction I guess. Searching students should have been implemented a long time ago...

I'm all for physical punishment aswell, I mean if you do nothing wrong then it won't affect you. It's just the immature pricks that think they are more important than the teacher who deserve it. Better for them to learn authority while they are at school as it will help them on the outside world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    Wrong. I only said I'd punch or harm a teacher if they tried to man handle me out of the class-room. My attitude is completely fine, I'm an able well-behaved student, but if a teacher tries touching me ***** going down. Simple.
    Well, if you are a good boy then there is no need for the teacher to touch you. If theey do then they are in the wrong. I only say that because I have been to bad schools and the things people are capable of are scary and I would feel a lot safer if teachers were allowed to restrain others.

(Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    I'd refuse, if he tried I'd just punch them.
    This.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by BackDoorEntry)
    From the journey I've had through the education system I've never seen anything that bad. And if something very bad did happen, parents will be told and the child gets punished.

I think more of a focus needs to be put on parents, some of who obviously don't give a crap how their child does at school, and therefore jeopardize the childs future.

I agree ok maybe implement it in primary school and nursery. High school and beyond should be a no no!
    I agree completely that the focus does need to be put on parents, but when they don't give a crap, surely the teachers are the ones who care and need authority!!

And (like the rest of TSR) I assume you've had a relatively sheltered experience of the education system so it doesn't affect us so much!

Can I ask, why not high school and beyond?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I agree with this, purely because not all teachers would act responsibly with the power to restrain and search schoolchildren. Instead, why not make it easier to expel pupils who show poor behaviour? That's not to say it will lock them out of the education system forever, but they will actually have to want to be in it to reattain a place, which will likely mean their behaviour will be far better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    I agree completely that the focus does need to be put on parents, but when they don't give a crap, surely the teachers are the ones who care and need authority!!

And (like the rest of TSR) I assume you've had a relatively sheltered experience of the education system so it doesn't affect us so much!

Can I ask, why not high school and beyond?
    If the parents don't give a crap there isn't much teachers can do, because the kids live at home and teachers only see them for about 6 hours a day 5 days a week. I can't really suggest a solution because there isn't one really, I just know giving teachers the power to 'touch' pupils is the wrong one!

High school pupils are no longer kids, they become smarter. They know that they can make false claims against a teacher if they are touched, also fighting in 'self defense' wouldn't be such an unbelievable excuse to make. This would probably get teachers into more hassle anyway!

ReputationRep:
    I agree with it for the most part. The only thing I disagree with, is the searching. I think they should only be allowed to search if it poses a health risk i.e knife, drugs etc. and they have reason to believe that the student is carrying it i.e someone has reported it, or a teacher thought they saw it.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    If the parents don't give a crap there isn't much teachers can do, because the kids live at home and teachers only see them for about 6 hours a day 5 days a week. I can't really suggest a solution because there isn't one really, I just know giving teachers the power to 'touch' pupils is the wrong one!

High school pupils are no longer kids, they become smarter. They know that they can make false claims against a teacher if they are touched, also fighting in 'self defense' wouldn't be such an unbelievable excuse to make. This would probably get teachers into more hassle anyway!
    Touching pupils isn't necessarily a bad thing. When I got my A Level results this year I was distraught, I hadn't got into my first choice uni, and OCR had lost my coursework so I didn't have a grade for English. If my school had operated a 'no touch' policy, then my form tutor wouldn't have been allowed to give me the hug I so desperately needed and then comfort me! Not saying my parents don't give a ****, they do, but for people whose parents don't, their teachers could become almost substitute parents given the opportunity...an adult to look up and be comforted by.

I agree it sucks how easily people can make false claims nowadays, I guess you would just hope that others in the class woud back up the teachers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Touching pupils isn't necessarily a bad thing. When I got my A Level results this year I was distraught, I hadn't got into my first choice uni, and OCR had lost my coursework so I didn't have a grade for English. If my school had operated a 'no touch' policy, then my form tutor wouldn't have been allowed to give me the hug I so desperately needed and then comfort me! Not saying my parents don't give a ****, they do, but for people whose parents don't, their teachers could become almost substitute parents given the opportunity...an adult to look up and be comforted by.

I agree it sucks how easily people can make false claims nowadays, I guess you would just hope that others in the class woud back up the teachers!
    :hugs:

I know where you are coming from, but your case is one of very few where the 'no touch' policy won't cause some sort of controversy!

Having other people in the class back you up could cause more problems, how would the school know who to trust?

By the way was your form tutor a man or woman?
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    :hugs:

I know where you are coming from, but your case is one of very few where the 'no touch' policy won't cause some sort of controversy!

Having other people in the class back you up could cause more problems, how would the school know who to trust?

By the way was your form tutor a man or woman?
    yeah, I guess implementation would be tricky, but you would hope that pupils wouldn't lie, though obviously at the end of the day they would and do...

Form tutor was a man, and he gave me a hug in his office, no-one else around, just the two of us, so really it was against school policy, but he put the pupil first. It's the reason I decided against becoming a teacher, all the difficulties of student/staff relationships (not in the sense of boyfriend girlfriend...you know what I mean!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Surely its the same s what bouncers can do at clubs as you to empty your pockets and pat you down? For that kind of a search they do not need a warrent so not sure where people are getting that from. Look at workplaces they can do pocket and locker and even car searches if you are suspected of theift
    Exactly 'if you are suspected', staff should have good reason/evidence before performing a specific search. However, random searching could work as a deterrent; children would be less inclined to bring drugs/cigarretes/weapons into schools. Also, I completely agree teachers should be allowed to physically restrain/comfort (if apprpiate) but this would only be in specific situations not generally.

ReputationRep:
    It's a nothing policy. So what if teachers can grab a kid by the scruff of the neck, it won't change anything. And teachers aren't suddenly going to change their behaviour towards students because this has been introduced. This whole rule is just so backwards and old fashioned really, it's a policy that will make the Conservatives popular though, with the older generations.

ReputationRep:
    FOR IT. It means when I become a primary school teacher I won't be accused of anything when helping a pupil up when they fall over or put a plaster on them, or help them put their shoes on or arms in the right arm holes... and I can take them on school trips without filling out a 12 page booklet on health & safety.

ReputationRep:
    I would have preferred "Gove to scrap 'no Falcon punch' rule in schools" but it's a start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gandalf_is_a_girl)
    Hell no. Some teachers are pricks. I don't want to give them more Prick Power.
    'Prick Power'. That tickled me. :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    Good. Teachers should be able to break up fights or comfort an upset child without fear of reprisal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dahut)
    I agree. I think what is in the interest of teachers is far less important than the interests of the pupils.
    Absolutely and the interests of the pupils is to have a a safe and warming learning environment which they cannot have with disruptive pupils especially when teachers cannot control said pupils because they aren't allowed to physically touch them.

ReputationRep:
    A lovely idea, kids need to stop thinking they deserve respect no matter how awful their behaviour.
    However, we are straying into the murky depths of "what is restraint", therefore, it will never work.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I remember two teachers ( the head teacher and this helper man ) trying to 'restrain' me without touching me once, it was ****ing hilarious because they sort of, held hands with each other and formed a circle around me, so i tried to duck and run, but they ran faster and we ended up in the hall at lunchtime where everyone eats their lunch, and so all the other pupils just got faced with this ridiculous sight with me complaining and them shouting "we are not touching you" :rolleyes:
    I agree with this, if they had been able to restrain me properly, this ridiculous situation wouldn't have happened. (it was funny though, and a bit of an over reaction, all i did was try to leave the isolation room)
    God, i was such a **** as school, how embarrassing.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.