Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been there for two weeks and I can say this:

-The campus [Gipsy lane] is ugly. The buildings look depressing and there are no open spaces to walk around... it really is repulsive.

- The teachers don't schedule seminars/tutorials for us. Just lectures and practicals...

This is my opinion of it so far... and I dislike the feel of it. Loads of people smoking at the main entrance... so when you go in the uni you smell loads of smoke first thing (remember how the chavs/gangster type people stood outside the main school gate when you were younger? smoking away and just swearing... It is like that at Oxford Brookes... so disgusting... other campuses look nicer, like the other Headington one... but ugh such an ugly campus with just one huge block of concrete housing the library and main lecture halls...

ReputationRep:
    This is why you should visit places you apply to.

ReputationRep:
    What I think of Oxford Brookes so far:

I wish I was at Oxford

ReputationRep:
    I can't tell you how ugly it is lol... it is so disgusting you have no idea you guys! almost every other University I have seen/visited looks MUCH nicer.. like no chance! Oxford Brookes University is officially the ugliest Uni in the UK. I should write a book about ugly Universities and just have Oxford Brookes in there on its own... I don't even want to start on the library...

ReputationRep:
    Brookes is such a depressing uni, and was why I flopped my life lol. I accepted the place as my insurance because I was so desperate but something in me always detested the place. It's a joke uni imo.

disclaimer: This is just my opinion based on feeling alone really, and how **** it looks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4TSR)
    I can't tell you how ugly it is lol... it is so disgusting you have no idea you guys! almost every other University I have seen/visited looks MUCH nicer.. like no chance! Oxford Brookes University is officially the ugliest Uni in the UK. I should write a book about ugly Universities and just have Oxford Brookes in there on its own... I don't even want to start on the library...

I looked at Brighton too, which was much much nicer. All light and high ceilings. Brookes is just horrible. I feel like a failure for going there and its a decision I deeply regret as everything in me told me not to go there but one stupid phone conversation cost me a hell of alot imo. No offence but most people who go there are idiots and/or druggies. I'm an idiot for going there, thats for sure.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not considering this any more !!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dlaleye)
    Definitely not considering this any more !!!!
    tbh, it's just a few people's opinions. the ones that are enjoying themselves are likely to be doing something else than posting on TSR to review their uni haha.

I don't know, I haven't seen the gipsy lane campus but the Brookes campuses I've seen so far actually look quite nice!

ReputationRep:
    It's just ******* building, you're not there to stare at the architecture all day, you go to get a degree. It didn't look bad when I visited it and the actual city of Oxford is lovely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rai)
    tbh, it's just a few people's opinions. the ones that are enjoying themselves are likely to be doing something else than posting on TSR to review their uni haha.

I don't know, I haven't seen the gipsy lane campus but the Brookes campuses I've seen so far actually look quite nice!
    Yh i know was JK - I won't condemn the whole prospect of going there unless ive visited myself and i'm sure its not that bad TBH because people i know who go there say it okay.

ReputationRep:
    Lol to be fair what do you really expect from a university such as Oxford Brookes? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    Lol to be fair what do you really expect from a university such as Oxford Brookes? :lol:
    Looks has nothing to do with reputation. In fact, De Montfort University is much lower in the league tables but looks tons time better than Oxford Brookes...

(Original post by bittersweet.poetry)
    It's just ******* building, you're not there to stare at the architecture all day, you go to get a degree. It didn't look bad when I visited it and the actual city of Oxford is lovely.
    Having a clean pretty campus makes me feel better while walking around the campus... It really does help me. Maybe just me? I dunno... but looks at campuses matter so much to me. Brookes doesn;t even look decent... it actually looks ugly.

ReputationRep:
    richard hamilton building is sexy!

ReputationRep:
    I completely disagree. I live on the Headington Campus, and I am happy. It totally depends on the person. I think the area an surrounding is beautiful and green, exactly what I was looking for. The buildings on Gipsy Lane are none of my concern. Sure, I study there, but thats all! I dont live there, and the way they look doesnt effect my studies.

Dont let this put you off Oxford Brookes. Thats all I can say. If you are considering Brookes, come to an open day and make up your own opinions

ReputationRep:
    I have my lectures at the School of Health and Social Care, which is a converted girls school and not bad looking at all.
    Sure Headington campus is a concrete village, but that's not going to affect your grades. It's also next to a park. 2 parks in fact. And my lecturers schedule all my seminars, so I think that's course permitting.

ReputationRep:
    You think Gipsy Lane is depressing? Try living in Wheatley campus, now THAT'S DEPRESSING.

(Original post by Lamps08)
    Brookes is such a depressing uni, and was why I flopped my life lol. I accepted the place as my insurance because I was so desperate but something in me always detested the place. It's a joke uni imo.

disclaimer: This is just my opinion based on feeling alone really, and how **** it looks.
    I 100% second this. I was so confident that I'd get Aston(firm) so I put Oxford Brookes as my insurance. Now that I'm actually here, I strongly regret it. I should've chosen Regent's Business School London as my insurance.

It doesn't help that I'm quite alone too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Padini)
    You think Gipsy Lane is depressing? Try living in Wheatley campus, now THAT'S DEPRESSING.

I 100% second this. I was so confident that I'd get Aston(firm) so I put Oxford Brookes as my insurance. Now that I'm actually here, I strongly regret it. I should've chosen Regent's Business School London as my insurance.

It doesn't help that I'm quite alone too.
    There's no atmosphere there at all. It's just bricks and that other stuff. I would seriously leave if you have the chance because it doesn't get any better. It just doesn't feel like a uni whatsoever. lol at you're quite alone too (it's your first week so that's natural)- there's **** all to do in Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    Believe me I want to leave, but I don't think I can transfer anywhere since I'd have to re-apply via UCAS for 2011 intake. I think our problem is that we're not giving it a chance lol. Which hall do you live in?

ReputationRep:
    i love oxford brookes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Padini)
    Believe me I want to leave, but I don't think I can transfer anywhere since I'd have to re-apply via UCAS for 2011 intake. I think our problem is that we're not giving it a chance lol. Which hall do you live in?
    I live at home. I'm a local here

(Original post by teukiechul)
    i love oxford brookes
    Which campus do you go to? Headington hill campus looks very nice

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.