The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

What I think of Oxford Brookes thus far...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
4TSR
I live at home. I'm a local here :tongue:

Then your problem isn't very big. You get to go home.
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Reply 21
4TSR
Which campus do you go to? Headington hill campus looks very nice

i go to gipsy lane, headington and wheatley.

headington campus is lovely though!
Reply 22
teukiechul
i go to gipsy lane, headington and wheatley.

headington campus is lovely though!

Yea it is lol. Gipsey lane however... :frown:
I dont see the problem, im only there for my lectures, i get to go back to my house when im not there, all i want to know is what i need to learn and then i get away from uni as soon as i can. Im at Gipsy Lane 25 hours a week, so if i dont see the problem...

Okay its a building site atm, but it wasnt anywhere as bad as this last year, not any help to freshers this year i know.
tom_tom_tom
I dont see the problem, im only there for my lectures, i get to go back to my house when im not there, all i want to know is what i need to learn and then i get away from uni as soon as i can. Im at Gipsy Lane 25 hours a week, so if i dont see the problem...

Okay its a building site atm, but it wasnt anywhere as bad as this last year, not any help to freshers this year i know.

Not much nicer though is it, to be honest.
Do you have running water in Cowley these days?
okay this is seriously putting me off big time :/ i was thinking about putting brookes as my firm if i get an offer but i dont even know whether to apply now :s-smilie:
Reply 26
redrose_ftw
okay this is seriously putting me off big time :/ i was thinking about putting brookes as my firm if i get an offer but i dont even know whether to apply now :s-smilie:

don't not apply if you want to, they've only said bad things ONLINE, try visiting here, it's a nice place.
teukiechul
don't not apply if you want to, they've only said bad things ONLINE, try visiting here, it's a nice place.

I'm sure it is a nice place, would be good to here some good stuff about it though :smile:
redrose_ftw
I'm sure it is a nice place, would be good to here some good stuff about it though :smile:

My open day convinced me to put it as a firm.
Also when they said I didn't need an interview cause my application was strong enough without one haha.

Seriously recommend visiting.
Reply 29
jennifer.re
My open day convinced me to put it as a firm.
Also when they said I didn't need an interview cause my application was strong enough without one haha.

Seriously recommend visiting.

Yea well everything about the uni is good, except the gipsy lane campus. Other campuses are lovely, such as the headington hill campus.

This thread was more to do with the Gispy Lane campus... it's just... :frown:
4TSR
Yea well everything about the uni is good, except the gipsy lane campus. Other campuses are lovely, such as the headington hill campus.

I think Brookes as a uni, and Oxford as a city, have way more to offer than the look of the campus suggest.
Not that its any use to us, but they are renovating it and making lots of new buildings that look quite nice from the drawings.
Reply 31
4TSR

Lol. The Gipsy Lane campus is the one with the restaurant right?
Reply 32
Padini
Lol. The Gipsy Lane campus is the one with the restaurant right?

Yep that's the one lol
Reply 33
To be fair, the only thing that annoys me about brookes is they did not bother in the slightest to organise a freshers week, the student union is just a waste of space.. Im sure its only there so they can say theyve got one!

Everything else is fine.
Reply 34
bobby1212
To be fair, the only thing that annoys me about brookes is they did not bother in the slightest to organise a freshers week, the student union is just a waste of space.. Im sure its only there so they can say theyve got one!

Everything else is fine.

yes, yes i agree so much with this.
teukiechul

bobby1212

The SU lost a lot of money this year (something ridic like 50k), so instead of shoving funds into a not-very-good-or-successful night at the SU it's more focused on societies and students. I do feel a bit bad because we had freshers fortnight, but there are still SO many places to go in Oxford that I'm sure with a bit of direction you would have had a good time.
You can read about it here;
http://www.thesu.com/president/news/index.php?page=article&news_id=165133
I've just started a PGCE at the Harcourt Hill campus - it feels a bit like a secondary school and isn't the newest, loveliest building but I don't care. I did my degree at Reading which had an amazing new department etc etc, but at Brookes I actually get the impression the staff care about the students - they are always asking us how things are going and stuff. Whether you have seminars or lectures or whatever will depend entirely on the course, which modules you do and what year you are in. I think teaching courses is something Brookes do well in, which may be why my experience so far has been so good, but to someone considering applying who has been put off by this thread, please please visit the uni, and Oxford itself, before you decide.
Reply 37
Even if the SU has had budget cuts, its still annoying that they dont ever run any events. Other universities such as Cardiff seem to be doing things like 'Foam parties' and stuff all the time.. it would be nice if our union did it like once a month or something.:wink:
Reply 38
I'm a fresher at university of hertfordshire right now, but strongly consider transfering to oxford brookes. Oxford as a town has everything compare to the rat hole hatfield i'm trapped in now. Although my campus is completely new, the facilities are amazing here and if i've got i right that's not the case at brookes?

I went on the open day last saturday because i happened to be in oxford at the time (and fell in love with the city, but that's another story). Somehow, I ended up in wheatley insted of harcourt (where i'll be if i transfer). How is the general standard at harcourt compared to wheatley? Can't say i was impressed by wheatley really...

However, brookes seems to be a great uni from what i've heard and i kind of hate myself for not applying lol.
Leah.
I'm a fresher at university of hertfordshire right now, but strongly consider transfering to oxford brookes. Oxford as a town has everything compare to the rat hole hatfield i'm trapped in now. Although my campus is completely new, the facilities are amazing here and if i've got i right that's not the case at brookes?

I went on the open day last saturday because i happened to be in oxford at the time (and fell in love with the city, but that's another story). Somehow, I ended up in wheatley insted of harcourt (where i'll be if i transfer). How is the general standard at harcourt compared to wheatley? Can't say i was impressed by wheatley really...

However, brookes seems to be a great uni from what i've heard and i kind of hate myself for not applying lol.

Facilities depend on the course, health and social care courses are very well catered for from my own perspective.
Harcourt is more like little houses rather than big corridors like at Wheatley, and don't have the bare concrete steps like Wheatley do (death trap if you ask me).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending