Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, my name is Clara and i am French..
    its my last year of highschool and of course the whole uni search is taking place. I in the IB so i was looking into the UK for uni's and i was wondering whether i can get any feed back on:
    Queen Margrette University, Liverpool University, Notthingham University, Bangor University, Middlesex University, Westminster University, Keele University, and Greenwich Univeristy...

If you guys could respond, doesnt have to be much, but jsut basic outline of the school, area, courses/teaching.. and so on, that would be really cool.

Thank you,
    Clara

ReputationRep:
    Because I live near and attended a summer school there, the only one I can comment on is Keele.

Keele is a lovely area, and it has good buses to the main cities around Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent. Its expert in Joint Honours and apparently has really good student support help. In terms of the layout and the buildings, it seems really pretty with an absolutey beautiful, historical landscape. The students there were friendly and whilst it was pretty big, it was easy to get around. It has all your facilities too, and its basically like a small town with bookstores, cafe's etc. In terms of medicine and pharmacy its pretty good, if you want to get into that The only thing I was disappointed with was the accomodation, I slept there for a night and it was uncomfortable, restless.. a bit like a block of flats. Still, i've not really been immersed in any other University so I can't compare. But it was enjoyable
    What do you want to take at University?

ReputationRep:
    I go to Greenwich uni and I love it, lovely campus and lovely people, it's in a good location but the entry requirements are quite low, they also seem to take in a lot of international students so you probably wouldn't feel left out!

As for courses, I'm doing English and even though I've only been to the introductions I really like it, the one thing that annoys me is that a lot of the lectures and seminars are in completely different buildings and getting there on time can be quite hard, sorry I'm not much help but I can only really tell you about English and maybe a bit on humanities subjects. The tutors all seem nice and friendly but as it's quite a big campus hunting them down outside of lectures can be hard.

Accommodation wise it's quite expensive, I pay £93 a week for a flat with 3 other people and it's shared facilities, I'm also on the Avery Hill campus and my lectures are on the Greenwich campus, there is a shuttle bus which is free but only runs every hour, and for some strange reason they only have one bus in the morning, which means if you're not there really early you have to pay to get the public bus, which also takes longer than the shuttle bus, however the Avery Hill site is generally seen to have better facilities, the SU bar is bigger and there's also a gym you can join for £95 for the year. The Greenwich campus accommodation is even more expensive, about £110 a week I think, however if your lectures are on the Greenwich campus it's a lot quicker to get to. The transport around both Greenwich and Avery Hill is quite good, the Greenwich campus is 2 minutes away from the DLR and Avery Hill has regular buses which go to Eltham station.

Sorry for the essay and if that's not much help to you, but feel free to PM me if you have any other questions!

ReputationRep:
    Just a general question i'm throwing in here but if you meet more than one entry requirement for the same course at a university i.e. one requirement may be AAA and other could AAB with something else, could you choose which requirement you want to work towards if you fulfill the criteria for both? Sorry if if I phrased this badly.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not too sure, but I'd say always try and get the highest offer

ReputationRep:
    why choose Liverpool as a university/area? what great things would sway you to pursuing an academic future there?

(please please quote me when replying!!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplebrainz)
    why choose Liverpool as a university/area? what great things would sway you to pursuing an academic future there?

(please please quote me when replying!!)

Liverpool generally has a fairly good reputation as a university. The campus has/in the process of being refurbished. Recently (in 2007/8) got a new library. 2009 saw a new engineering building. 2010 a refurb of the sports centre/gym. Other bits of campus have also been improved.

The uni is close to town (like a 5/10 minute walk). The city itself is amazing, really good for a night out, or just going to the pub/bars for a drink. There's also lots to do by way of entertainment, for example gigs/echo arena, museums, The Tate Gallery. The people are really friendly.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.