The Student Room Group

What's the point of A-level English literature?

I'm doing AS English literature at the moment and although I enjoy it, I don't see much actual "real world" value in the subject. I enjoy it a lot, but I don't see what I'm learning about that has relevance in the world like biology or geography. When my parents or teachers ask me what we do in English they seem disappointed.

To quote my parents "We all speak English already and we can all read books and think about what they mean, why do an A-level in that?", and I have nothing to say back in response because I can't find anything to prove them wrong. Can somebody tell me what they learn(t) from English literature, and not the generic 'analytical skills' everybody seems to go on about :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I took it for the essay writing practice personally, though it doesn't sound very impressive.
It does wonders for your essay writing ability.
Deeper understanding of the human psyche and emotion. The contextual work you have to do also teaches you a lot about history, philosophy and society. Maybe even a better understanding of yourself and others around you, when you look into how you react to certain aspects of the literature in comparison to others. A wider range of vocabulary and ideas. A better, more personal, understanding of different cultures. Etc.
It will get more interesting and enjoyable later on, you're only a couple weeks in. What exam board are you with?
Reply 5
Bektas
It will get more interesting and enjoyable later on, you're only a couple weeks in. What exam board are you with?

I never said it wasn't interesting and enjoyable; I really like the course. I'm just not seeing anything I learn being able to help me in any way for the future like biology and geography are. I'm with AQA spec B.
(edited 13 years ago)
One learns to understands the sensitivities and intricate components which make up the human mind. You're right in saying it has no practical or utilitarian usage; its value lies in what it shows us about ourselves.
Reply 7
It enables you to waffle pretentiously about 18th century classics - how on earth could you say there isn't any value to that?
(I take english AS too, just in case you thought i was a bitter maths+sciences person)
Reply 8
An understanding of the human emotion and why people write in the way that they do [eg. for As I studied Sylvia Plath] it was amazing to realise how deep the human mind is and how humans portray their emotion through the written language. It also does WONDERS for essay writing and improves and widens your vocabulary for sure! I literally wouldn't know half the things I know now if I didn't take English Lit. It will get better and more enjoyable, they are probably easing you in slowly if you have just started. Its gets harder. Good luck.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Olivia_Lightbulb
One learns to understands the sensitivities and intricate components which make up the human mind.

lol :rofl: what the ****!
It develops analytical and critical thinking abilities as well writing, grammar and concentration- all fairly useful in the world. Depending on what you read it can help develop your understanding of the world.

I think I've used my english lit knowledge more than I have my biology a-level stuff in my life thus far.
(edited 13 years ago)
Well, you're not going to have learnt much in the month or so you've been doing it.
For the enjoyment- fulfilment (although I suppose that's a bit too much to ask of AS)- because it's a respected A level- last chance for some people to learn their/there/they're before uni- etc etc.
Organ
lol :rofl: what the ****!

Ah. I see someone needs to study English Literature. :eyeball:
Reply 13
sharpesparkle
Deeper understanding of the human psyche and emotion. The contextual work you have to do also teaches you a lot about history, philosophy and society. Maybe even a better understanding of yourself and others around you, when you look into how you react to certain aspects of the literature in comparison to others. A wider range of vocabulary and ideas. A better, more personal, understanding of different cultures. Etc.

Summed it up perfectly. (Although it may depend on your teachers to some extent)
At the risk of sounding cheesy, I come out of every English lit. lesson feeling just that little bit more well off as a person.
Acerbic
It enables you to waffle pretentiously about 18th century classics - how on earth could you say there isn't any value to that?

Haha, feel the same sometimes!

I think it's fantastic for developing writing style - and will be useful when it comes to studying literature as part of a French degree at uni :smile:
Reply 15
If you want to study English Literature at university it's pretty useful.

I don't see why everything has to have 'real world' skills. I studied English because I loved it, simple as that.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
Cinqueta
I'm doing AS English literature at the moment and although I enjoy it, I don't see much actual "real world" value in the subject. I enjoy it a lot, but I don't see what I'm learning about that has relevance in the world like biology or geography. When my parents or teachers ask me what we do in English they seem disappointed.

To quote my parents "We all speak English already and we can all read books and think about what they mean, why do an A-level in that?", and I have nothing to say back in response because I can't find anything to prove them wrong. Can somebody tell me what they learn(t) from English literature, and not the generic 'analytical skills' everybody seems to go on about :smile:

Your parents seem pretty short sighted. That's the equivalent of saying we can all count already and know our times table, so why do an A Level in Maths? etc, etc
Reply 17
Why History? Why Music? Why Philosophy?

If you want to claim that English Literature has no life skills then you may aswell just ommit virtually ever other subject from A Level selection; some people don't ever use Science or Maths in their lives - it's exactly the same principle.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
Well, I actually apply my knowledge of English Lit to my life more than any other subjects that I am taking...
but that is mostly because I recite poetry and play and general knowledge of different centuries to my friends as a way of boring them to death :]
Reply 19
Geography has no real life value if, like most people, you own a GPS.

Latest

Trending

Trending