Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What's the point of A-level English literature? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    You say Biology and Geography teach you more, but for most people, who won't end up being a biologist or a geographer - when are you actually going to use the fact you know what osmosis or rock erosion is? The stuff you learn in English is more than reading and merely thinking about books, sure you do "think" but I'd argue that you get a deeper analytical method of thinking about stuff compared to someone who has not. And you can apply this to other areas of life. It greatly helps with essay writing and your overall communication skills both written and orally, with debates and suchlike and I'd say you gain much more command over the English language. You also become a much more cultured person - how many people actually read the "greats".

When I did my AS', I did pretty much all sciences and maths and my English A Level. . But the next year I decided I really could not see myself as a physician, chemist or mathematician and English was what I enjoyed the most. Learning in English is a gradual process and you hardly realise it's happening - but compare some GCSE essays you wrote with some from now and you'll notice the difference.

All in all if you enjoy it - study it. That's the reason you should study - because you enjoy it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyyy)
    Geography has no real life value if, like most people, you own a GPS.
    :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I do A level English Literature, and at first i had the same problem.

However, i'm doing some research for my EPQ and I've had kind of an epiphany moment and now i enjoy the study so much more. I found, when reading certain books on face value (e.g. graham green, power and the glory or arcadia by tom stoppard) they seem confusing or bland. Once you've studied english literature and become familiar with the devices good writers often use and have developed a critical, annalytical mind-set, you begin to read books in a whole different way. You find new meanings and begin to interpret them, and may feel the need to go and research the author perhaps, to gain more insight into why they have written the book in that way. There is so much more to be gained from a book than just reading it as it is presented to you and you begin to appreciate it a lot more

That's my experience anyways xD

Help with my EPQ research?
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...8#post27924518

ReputationRep:
    More jobs involve writing than involve science.
    English lit teaches you how to write well to an extent no other subject does.

Simple

Any job in middle or upper management will require you to write reports on a regular basis, not to mention any job in journalism/PR.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 4, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.