Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have been looking through prospectus for the past year and a half and i have no idea what subject I should take. I am currently taking AS maths, further maths, biology, chemistry and physics. I want to do something science based but there are so many options such as biology, chem, physics, earth science, human sciences, astronomy, biochemistry etc. :confused: :confused: :confused:
    There are so many different options!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How did you know what you wanted to study? Did/do you have a career in mind too?

Please help me!

ReputationRep:
    I chose what I enjoy, and what I thought I had a good chance of doing reasonably well in (maths).

ReputationRep:
    There must be something in your current A levels that interests you more than other things?

Take a lot of time reading through course outlines, coursework, fieldtrips, all that kind of stuff.

Try writing down all the pros and cons of certain courses and universities, it might help.

If you don't have a career in mind, I know many of my friends don't and didn't when they chose their courses, do something that will interest you.

ReputationRep:
    i asked jeeves.

ReputationRep:
    I just knew what I want to spend the rest of my life doing. Don't worry about it. Either you'll know by the time you have to apply or you wait a bit and take some time to decide...

ReputationRep:
    I only had one choice.

Talk to a career adviser.

What do you like studying? What do you see yourself as in the future?

ReputationRep:
    Don't stress too much about it. You've over a year til your UCAS cycle so you've time to decide. Eliminate the courses you know you definitely DON'T want to do and then narrow it down from there.

ReputationRep:
    Trial and error.

I tried other things before settling on my current degree. My first uni course considerations were career related but I hated the subjects so I ended up re-applying for something purely based on my love and interest of the subject and no other reason.

That's my best advice - do what you enjoy. It's pretty difficult to suceed in something that you have no passion for.

ReputationRep:
    I decided I want to do something that was well respected and academically rigorous. I wanted to feel a major power trip when I told anyone what degree I was studying and to bask in their exclamations of "whoa!" and "dude you are so ******* smart!". I wanted a degree that would make a women so wet they'd cause floods similar to what happened in pakistan once they heard what I studied. I wanted to recieve offers of marriage and sex seven times a day from supermodels.

Only one course could really hope to fulfil my desires. Yep - I went to study golf management.

ReputationRep:
    I picked a subject I enjoyed. Had a look at what sort of units universities were offering for my subject and chose the one that interested me most.

ReputationRep:
    I've always been into the sciences, especially Biology. So I looked at things like straight Bio, Biochem, Natural sciences.. etc.

But then I realised that I'm also into the arts. History, Philosophy... even art! I was so caught up in looking at the sciences that I forgot the things that make my heart jump with interest :rolleyes:

Then, by luck, I asked my mate what she was applying for at uni. She said 'Geography' to which I was like :lolwut:
    Did a bit of research.
    Realised that it involves bits of everything that I loved - biology & chemistry (physical side) and history, psychology, philosophy & economics (human side).

Basically, I chose it because it was a broad subject that encompasses most things I'm interested in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fat-Love)
    I decided I want to do something that was well respected and academically rigorous. I wanted to feel a major power trip when I told anyone what degree I was studying and to bask in their exclamations of "whoa!" and "dude you are so ******* smart!". I wanted a degree that would make a women so wet they'd cause floods similar to what happened in pakistan once they heard what I studied. I wanted to recieve offers of marriage and sex seven times a day from supermodels.

Only one course could really hope to fulfil my desires. Yep - I went to study golf management.
    Lmao thats the best thing I have heard all week,

OP just do something you enjoy from your A-level Subjects I started Law this year and I thought it would be hard and boring but I love it and find it easy and now considering studying it at uni

ReputationRep:
    eenie meenie minie mo!

ReputationRep:
    I knew what career I wanted to get into since the age of 7! lol But the subject I chose was what I enjoyed the most . Also I did well in it because I enjoyed it.

ReputationRep:
    Easy: picked a subject I enjoyed, and was good at (at the time). Why choose something you hate when you're going to have to study it for the next 3 years, minimum? As for having a career in mind, I'm probably going to go into teaching, just because it's so fulfilling to teach people about language. Interpretation and translation don't appeal, neither does anything "political" -- so, it's teaching or bust.

ReputationRep:
    www.ask.co.uk

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.