Turn on thread page Beta

The most effective way to lose weight (asides from dieting?) watch

I'm not 'fat' so to speak, but need to watch it cos I'm short. What's the most effective way to lose weight apart from eating salad and fruit all day?

ReputationRep:
    Dieting properly? Salads and fruit won't make you lose weight.

High quality proteins, fats and carbohydrates equalling 500 calories below your maintenance with additional anaerobic exercise equals fat loss and muscle growth. Good times. Weight loss is so damn easy if you know what you're doing. I'm away for the rest of the evening, but I'll find some good resources for you.

ReputationRep:
    Cut off a limb.

But seriously, diet is pretty much the main factor in losing weight.

You don't have to eat just salad and fruit all day, either.

Probably the most basic way is to work out your BMR (there are websites for this) and eat roughly 300-500 calories underneath that.

I would suggest trying a low-carb diet but I'll probably get mauled by other people on here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nelg-o-pad)
    Cut off a limb.

Probably the most basic way is to work out your BMR (there are websites for this) and eat roughly 300-500 calories underneath that.

I would suggest trying a low-carb diet but I'll probably get mauled by other people on here.

I'd agree with a low carb diet. I use it when I cut. Dieting, however, is a personal thing, there is'n t specific rule for the braod population. A person needs to experiment and find what works best for them. But many people respond to low-carb.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm not 'fat' so to speak, but need to watch it cos I'm short. What's the most effective way to lose weight apart from eating salad and fruit all day?
    Ever heard of exercise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nelg-o-pad)
    Cut off a limb.

It's been shown that dieting does not work long term for weight loss.
    What does work is changing your diet and exercising - that is the best way to keep weight off for as long as you can keep it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Eat fruit all day is actually quite bad for you.

Go do some proper research on a balanced diet and do some exercise. It really is not ******* rocket science.

Try exercising

God people go insane on here over the slightest thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    It's been shown that dieting does not work long term for weight loss.
    What does work is changing your diet and exercising - that is the best way to keep weight off for as long as you can keep it up.
    Well, yes, I agree.

Obviously if someone diets down and loses a few pounds, then goes back to over-eating they'll just put the weight back on again.

Eating less for a few weeks or whatever to lose some weight and then increasing what you eat to maintain that weight will work.

It definitely takes a lifestyle change, maybe I worded my original post wrongly?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 2, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.