Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can a mod delete/lock this thread please?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by ElMoro)
    Before I begin I would like to say that I am nowhere near the level of applying uni and I am thinking quite a bit into the fute but I was wondering on other peoples opinions on this. Also note, that I have barely covered any real decision maths (just a bit of D1)

Now, I know STEP is generally used as an admissions test for people applying for a maths degree but that's not what I think this will be aimed at. To my knowledge, STEP is sometimes required for candidates applying for computer science. Now I'm pretty sure that decision (or discrete) maths plays a reasonably important part in computer science (I'm not 100% sure so correct me if I'm wrong). STEP are designed to see how the candidate will fare in uni, so wouldn't it be reasonable to add 2 or 3 decision maths questions to the STEP papers each year? Afterall, nobody would be forced to do the questions. Although some people would argue that decision maths is 'easy' and doesn't test true mathematical ability and the questions would be the same each year, I disagree. Surely, questions could be designed so the the person answering them has to have a good knowledge of what they are doing just like any other STEP question. Is the university work on deciision maths only harder because there are more topics?

And I'm not saying that it should be purely decision maths for computer science candidates. Obviously decision maths isn't the only type of maths used in computer science. Candidates would still have to be able to complete other questions, Afterall, two perfectly answered decision maths questions wouldn't even net you a 2 so they would still need to have ability in other aspects of maths.

I dn't know whether or not you you do any discrete maths in a maths degrre but if you did then this is another way the addition could also be helpful.

And as another slightly unrelated point: should there be more decision maths module in A-Level. Mechanics and statistics both go up to atleast 4 whereas decision only gets 2. Are there other topics in decision that wouldn't be too difficult for A-Level?

So what do you people think, should decision maths be introduced into STEP or is it entirely pointless?
    I've replied to your post in the main Maths forum - note it's generally considered to be poor etiquette to post the same question in multiple places : )

ReputationRep:
    Gah, sorry I thought I edited my post in the other one so it could be deleted since I thought it fitted better here. Thanks for the reply

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.