Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    given that cos \textrm{y} = sin \textrm{(x+y)}, show that tan \textrm{y} = sec \textrm{x} - tan \textrm{x}

when proving this, am I allowed to assume that tan \textrm{y} = sec \textrm{x} - tan \textrm{x} is true??

like... prove it backwards? I don't really know how to prove this kind of stuff :confused: help

i.e.

\frac{sin \textrm{x} }{coz \textrm{y}} = \frac{1}{cos \textrm{x} } - \frac{sin \textrm{x} }{cos \textrm{x} }

= \frac{1 - sin \textrm{x} }{cos \textrm{x} }

sin \textrm{y} cos \textrm{x} = cos \textrm{y} - sin \textrm{x} cos \textrm{y}

cos \textrm{x} sin \textrm{y} + sin \textrm{x} cos \textrm{y} = cos \textrm{y}

sin \textrm{(x+y)} = cos \textrm{y}

is this proved then? or did i do it the wrong way?

(edit: i don't know why I posted this in Maths Exams section... someone please move this to Maths forum! thanks)

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you can do that, although it's better to try doing it the way it's presented.

You know the expansion for sin(A+B) = sinAcosB + cosAsinB

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you can do it that way but you couldv'e done it backwards aswell.

ReputationRep:
    Just write down your working in reverse and you've proved it forwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    Yes, you can do that, although it's better to try doing it the way it's presented.

You know the expansion for sin(A+B) = sinAcosB + cosAsinB
    yep but somehow doing it backwards makes it easier for me lol don't know why :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Libertine)
    Just write down your working in reverse and you've proved it forwards.
    ahha yh that's true

ReputationRep:
    If you do so, you should point out in your proof that all tranformations are equivalent. Otherwise the proof will be incorrect.(You show only one side of equivalence-implication)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmTheChosenOne)
    yep but somehow doing it backwards makes it easier for me lol don't know why :p:
    When proving it forwards, you still need to be 'a few steps ahead', you can't just plug in any old identity and hope it works. So I think you'll find most people look at both ends of the proof. When proving that, I'd write the end-point in terms of cosine/sine, do the same with the given equation, and see how I could get there.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 2, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.