Turn on thread page Beta

Why I think creationism isn't true... watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm an atheist, and an evolutionist. Far from seeming improbable, the theory of evolution makes so much sense to me, whereas creationism just seems utterly bonkers.

Let's face it, if God created man in his image, then what a shame! Humans are a bit bland, really, aren't we? Don't get me wrong, the human body is amazing...but we don't have any bright colours, decorative horns, tails or anything interesting. God could have been a bit more imaginative couldn't he? But wait...we are the way we are because we evolved to suit our environment. Ah, that makes sense.

Also, if you created the human body (or any organism, but let's stick with humans for now), why would you not make the parts replacable or able to regenerate? Wouldn't it be great to be able to re-grow a limb, an eye, a hand or even a big toe if you lost it in an accident or to disease? That would be a much better design if you ask me. Personally I would also design humans to have tails - how cool would that be?! Mine would be prehensile so I could hold stuff while I typed/wrote/played Scrabble etc. Brilliant! :yep:

I'm sure I'm going to enrage the creationists among you, but really this was a fun look at why creationism just doesn't work for me. Would you care to throw in your ideas? How would you have designed the human body if you were the great creator?

ReputationRep:
    But what about the science of clouds?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Could you elaborate, please, m'dear?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Panthea)
    I'm an atheist, and an evolutionist. Far from seeming improbable, the theory of evolution makes so much sense to me, whereas creationism just seems utterly bonkers.
    By creationism, do you mean someone who believes that we were created by a person, or someone who believes in special creation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_creation)?

Let's face it, if God created man in his image, then what a shame! Humans are a bit bland, really, aren't we? Don't get me wrong, the human body is amazing...but we don't have any bright colours, decorative horns, tails or anything interesting. God could have been a bit more imaginative couldn't he? But wait...we are the way we are because we evolved to suit our environment. Ah, that makes sense.
    Most scholars interpret the Image of God relationally rather than essentially; that is, the Image of God does not refer to a physical likeness or an ontological likeness, but it is to do with our relationship with him and with the world. As an image, it is our *role* to reflect God's nature (his loving nature, rather than his being a Spirit or whatever) back to him and out into creation.

Also, if you created the human body (or any organism, but let's stick with humans for now), why would you not make the parts replacable or able to regenerate? Wouldn't it be great to be able to re-grow a limb, an eye, a hand or even a big toe if you lost it in an accident or to disease? That would be a much better design if you ask me. Personally I would also design humans to have tails - how cool would that be?! Mine would be prehensile so I could hold stuff while I typed/wrote/played Scrabble etc. Brilliant! :yep:
    I don't know any creationists who think that God's intention was to let us live in these bodies forever, or for them to seem perfect to us :p:

I'm sure I'm going to enrage the creationists among you, but really this was a fun look at why creationism just doesn't work for me. Would you care to throw in your ideas? How would you have designed the human body if you were the great creator?

ReputationRep:

finally, someone who knows what they're talking about, I know a good game you can play, its called "Spore" i highly recommend it

ReputationRep:
    This idiot is actually a theist trying to make Atheists look stupid.

ReputationRep:
    i dont believe in creationism because i saw a fossil...One which was like millions of years old. 1 MILLION > 6000 years.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    But but but evolution casesd world war 1 and world war 2 and tattoos and family strike and drug use and rape and all societys ills. Seriosly look up the evolution objections page on wiki some people really think evolution caused all tis.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    The sky is a carpet painted by God did't you know that?:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calumcalum)
    By creationism, do you mean someone who believes that we were created by a person, or someone who believes in special creation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_creation)?
    Hello there,

Good question - I mean the 'Adam and Eve' idea of creation; the notion that God created man and all things on the Earth. Very simplistic of me, I realise, but I hope I'm making sense.

Your arguments are eloquently and persuasively written, I appreciate that. Genuinely food for thought, rather than the usual knee-jerk responses I've seen to similar threads.

ReputationRep:
    Evolution can't be true because there is FOSSSAl GAPZ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rebecca_george)
    Don't forget the science of clouds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThinkingThoughts)
    This idiot is actually a theist trying to make Atheists look stupid.
    Aww, why so cynical? I promise you I am not a theist, I am not trying to make atheists look stupid, and I am not a troll. I'm just using this forum to air my views and bounce ideas off others. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Hello there,

Good question - I mean the 'Adam and Eve' idea of creation; the notion that God created man and all things on the Earth. Very simplistic of me, I realise, but I hope I'm making sense.

Your arguments are eloquently and persuasively written, I appreciate that. Genuinely food for thought, rather than the usual knee-jerk responses I've seen to similar threads.
    Thanks Well, I think that God created man and all things on the Earth, but did so via evolution (e.g. not just in one big magic act). You might find that a lot of Christians on TSR (perhaps most) take this view.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Well, I think that God created man and all things on the Earth, but did so via evolution (e.g. not just in one big magic act). You might find that a lot of Christians on TSR (perhaps most) take this view.
    If you have this view you do not understand evolution well enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rebecca_george)
    Compaired to no evidence whatsoever for creation:rolleyes: choices choices

ReputationRep:
    Any argument that can be twisted and shaped to suit your point of view is not an argument.

ReputationRep:
    I don't 'think' it's not true - I 'know' it's not true!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bilco)
    Any argument that can be twisted and shaped to suit your point of view is not an argument.
    Welcome to religion my friend.

ReputationRep:
    Twisted and shaped... like clouds.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.