Turn on thread page Beta

How much do you spend on groceries? watch

ReputationRep:
    I had a conversation with my girlfriend earlier on about food shopping and how much one could spend for a week. She usually spends around £15 or so. Does anyone else do it?

I tried to make a shopping bill at Sainsbury's (pretty much the only supermarket in Bath) and I could get absolutely nothing for £15.

So my question is: roughly, how much do you spend a week on your food shopping?

ReputationRep:
    I usually spend about £30ish, but right now I have lots of food that my parents bought me when I moved back to my house

I do eat quite a lot, though, and lots of it is chicken which is quite expensive.

ReputationRep:
    Upto £20 I guess.

ReputationRep:
    £100
    But it's for me, my 2 brothers and my parents.

ReputationRep:
    Farrrr to much. I always say I have no food, and then someone else will look in my cupboards and prove me wrong XD I guess I am a bit of a hoarder. I spend a big shop of about £50ish every month or two to stock up on the basics, and then a further £10-£30 a week. This needs to come down, I managed on £30 a week for EVERYTHING (as well as shopping!) in first year :P The

ReputationRep:
    I thought £20 - £30 was like average - when I was going around an open day, the girl said that most people got by on like £20 - £25.

Perhaps your friend is shopping in lidl or somewhere rather than Sainsbury's.

ReputationRep:
    I just can't understand how to keep bills down. It's impossible to buy meats, cheese and anything but bread, milk, eggs, vegetables and maybe some pasta with a low budget. Maybe I should just stop looking into things a bit too much and accept that I probably need to spend more than £15 a week *sighs*

Have you had to give up buying something because of price since you've moved to university? (I'm now in my third year but I'm trying to not spend all my money all the time :p:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
    I just can't understand how to keep bills down. It's impossible to buy meats, cheese and anything but bread, milk, eggs, vegetables and maybe some pasta with a low budget. Maybe I should just stop looking into things a bit too much and accept that I probably need to spend more than £15 a week *sighs*

Have you had to give up buying something because of price since you've moved to university? (I'm now in my third year but I'm trying to not spend all my money all the time :p:)

When I was living on a tiny budget, I pretty much gave up meat (was too expensive!), bought lots of Sainsburys basics tins of chopped tomatoes and made my own pasta sauces (with the help of my immense spice collection:p:) I also lived on sainsburys basics noodles and just added sweet chilli sauce to them haha. When I was reallly, really poor I used powdered milk haha! As for bread I often got expired bread for free from work and just froze it XD Oh the memories of first year :rolleyes:

Yes, I lost a lot of weight that term >.<

ReputationRep:
    £13 just now. Last week £17
    Iceland food is so cheap the only thing I have to top up during the week is usually bread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parasitic)
    £13 just now. Last week £17
    Iceland food is so cheap the only thing I have to top up during the week is usually bread.
    I'm really curious of what you can get with £13!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
    I'm really curious of what you can get with £13!
    Well my diet is not really varied and I can't cook, but enjoy the food that I eat.

In Iceland you can get yummy pizzas for £1 only! They taste better than Sainsbury's, Asda or Tesco ones- in my opinion and you save about £2 per pizza. So I get about 4 of them in different flavours.
    Then chicken nuggets, onion rings, all £1 too I think? nuggets could be £2, not sure, but still cheap, that will last you for a few days- lunch/dinner. Then some rice, pasta bags- £1 pound each, fairly big, lasts more than a week. Frankurt(sp? name) sausages- £2, Cheese and ham/pepperoni- £3 all together. Milk- 80p~, chocolate coconut thingies- £1 (lots of them in the packet!!!), some fruit- bananas (£1), bread- big loafs - £1.50 for TWO! (was on offer today, could freeze one) , chicken korma, sweet and sour chicken and etc - £1 , great for late lunch/late evening meal after dinner.

and so on
    basic food and very cheap
    I would suggest any student going there for food then maybe visit a market for more fruit/veg

ReputationRep:
    In the first week I spent about £60 stocking up on things, last week I spent £14. I'm hoping to keep it below £20 every week if at all possible.
    I buy Morrisons Value bread for 30p. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Spent £25 last week, £14 this week. Communal buying Buy the basics together, plus a couple of things that only you like separately.

ReputationRep:
    on average £20 - £25 per week

i'm a vegetarian though so i don't need to spend on expensive meat products, also i'm in the habit of alternating between eating a nice meal followed by eating a cheap meal(usually the 10p noodles or something on toast :/ )

i tend to go for the 3 for 2 or buy 1 get one free and similar offers as well..

ReputationRep:
    I haven't figured it out yet, three weeks in and I still haven't gone on a huge food shop as I'm still on the food from my very first grocery shop, only popping out for milk, etc. when I need them. I've bought big bags of pasta and jars of sauce so that when my perishable food runs out, I will still be able to feed myself.
    Aldi's very nice for food, and Iceland's also a favourite. I can very easily live on about £20 a week, considering my very first shop cost like £60 and I'm still living off it!

ReputationRep:
    i need to eat fruit thanks for reminding me

Turn vegetarian, and you will save yourself huge amounts!

ReputationRep:
    Between £150-£200 for myself and my parents.

ReputationRep:
    about £20 maximum a week

ReputationRep:
    I have just done my weekly shop and to much surprise I was able to shop for just myself for £13.19 at Sainsbury's. The most expensive item on my list was lean steak mince (that was the only thing I was unwilling to compromise on getting the cheaper alternative) at £2.87. I already had a couple of tins of beans, cheese, pasta and rice in the house, though. I hope I can keep this up!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.