Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much do you spend on groceries? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just done my shopping for this week, £7.75!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renya)
    Just done my shopping for this week, £7.75!
    Damnit, I was feeling so good about today's £8.60 until I saw that. :p:

Honestly I'm pretty pleased with myself that I can eat meat and fruit and don't have to eat pasta/noodles and still not spend. I'm totally winning at life.

ReputationRep:
    It's about £80-£100 a week for a family of four.

ReputationRep:
    My mum manages to spend 70 quid a week for me, dad, 2 brothers (one 36 and one 19) and herself. So 5 people in total. I find it bizarre the way a couple spends 80 quid a week on food for the pair of them.

ReputationRep:
    How the hell does everyone here seem to spend so little? I spend a fortune on food, nearly all my money is spent on food but I don't drink so at least I save some money there. Do you people just not eat very much?
    As for the people saying not to eat meat, does that not make you ill?

ReputationRep:
    I do my food shop every fortnight and spend about £60 for both myself and my partner, which includes meat/fruit/veg etc, and enough food to cover breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert/snacks for 2 weeks. I tend to buy things that are on offer/discount with some own brand and some branded food, and then freeze everything until its needed. Works for us, and means we get fairly healthy and varied meals

ReputationRep:
    I did my grocery shopping today and only spend £14 :proud: and this is more then enough food for the week. Tbh I would've got more but its such a trek to Sainsurys and plus my weak little arms can't carry much.

ReputationRep:
    About £8 at the greengrocers (A lot of fruit and veg, it's a cheap one with student discount), £2 on eggs from there too.
    Then £6-8 at the butchers, a few quid on bits and pieces (herbs, toiletries, milk, bread) and if i'm feeling naughty I might get a frozen pizza or some fish fingers which is a couple of quid. I don't bother with dessert, to expensive, special occasions only.
    I spend more on homebrewing and drink than I do on food but I eat a relatively healthy balanced diet and all the meat is from a quality source and reared properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Heather.)
    How the hell does everyone here seem to spend so little? I spend a fortune on food, nearly all my money is spent on food but I don't drink so at least I save some money there. Do you people just not eat very much?
    As for the people saying not to eat meat, does that not make you ill?
    Yeah because all the vegetarians in the world are dropping like flies... :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Yeah because all the vegetarians in the world are dropping like flies... :facepalm:
    Yes, I'm aware that many vegetarians are very healthy, but in order to get enough iron and protein etc they have to be really careful about their diet and eat things which are just as expensive as meat.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I'm aware that many vegetarians are very healthy, but in order to get enough iron and protein etc they have to be really careful about their diet and eat things which are just as expensive as meat.
    Soya chunks, soya mince, Quorn products? They're quite cheap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Scout.)
    I did my grocery shopping today and only spend £14 :proud: and this is more then enough food for the week. Tbh I would've got more but its such a trek to Sainsurys and plus my weak little arms can't carry much.
    Is that to supplement exisiting food or do you literally only need £14 worth of food a week? Does that include 3 meals a day plus snacks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Soya chunks, soya mince, Quorn products? They're quite cheap.
    True but mince etc is probably just as cheap.

ReputationRep:
    I aim for £20 however sometimes it is just under that or a bit over probably around £25. I used to spend £30 but have since cut it down.

I sometimes go between supermarkets depending which closer, I used to split it between Tesco and Sainsbury's but when was spending £30 it was just shopping in Asda

ReputationRep:
    Is that to supplement exisiting food or do you literally only need £14 worth of food a week? Does that include 3 meals a day plus snacks?
    I had a big bag of pasta already in my cupboard but thats it.
    Tbh I don't eat that much anyway, I weigh very little and don't have that much of an appetite, and don't eat breakfast and never really snack. The £14 went on some chicken breasts, pesto, onions, apples, coffee, a pizza, some tortilla wraps and some ingredients for a stir fry, and obviously chocolate.
    I plan my meals out so its cheap. Like the chicken will be split up so it lasts me the week and a few days ill have pasta and chicken, the next a stir fry etc.
    With good planning its very easy to spend very little.

ReputationRep:
    £10-15, but my situation is unusual. I'm fed by work a lot of the time. When I'm not at work I only tend to eat cereal at home.

I'll usually also spend about £20 on eating out with friends a week.

ReputationRep:
    me and the OH shop a fortnight, can be anywhere from £70-110

ReputationRep:
    My last shop came to about £13, I don't really know how I managed it. But so far it seems to be lasting me. I don't however, have many things to snack on and that's where I fall short. Before this little experiment I use to spend about £25.

How much do you usually spend?

I'm trying to spend as little as possible but still feel like I eat really well and so far it has worked The week isn't over yet, though!

ReputationRep:
    I'm baffled as to what everyone here eats for that amount? I spend at least £50 a week on food, for myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
    My last shop came to about £13, I don't really know how I managed it. But so far it seems to be lasting me. I don't however, have many things to snack on and that's where I fall short. Before this little experiment I use to spend about £25.

How much do you usually spend?

I'm trying to spend as little as possible but still feel like I eat really well and so far it has worked The week isn't over yet, though!
    I spend quite a lot compared to people here, usually about £25-30. I usually plan my meals and cook my own stuff but I like to have food to snack on and sometimes I eat 4 meals a day. I do quite a lot of exercise so I get hungry a lot and I need to eat a fair bit to maintain my current weight.
    £13 is really cheap, to be honest I'd rather save money on things like alcohol than cut back too much on my food

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.