Turn on thread page Beta

How much do you spend on groceries? watch

ReputationRep:
    well i got some stuff yesterday for £11.83...it was basically some green veg and some other stuff (like yoghurt, milk, break, cans etc) cos i'm going on a protein diet where i'm gonna make some chicken with green salad for whenever i eat at my flat

ReputationRep:
    you can really save on groceries by bulk buying meat and things like that when they are on offer in the supermarket and keeping them in the freezer.

I usually spend around 20 a week but every now and then spend a bit more stocking up on bits and bobs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Heather.)
    I spend quite a lot compared to people here, usually about £25-30. I usually plan my meals and cook my own stuff but I like to have food to snack on and sometimes I eat 4 meals a day. I do quite a lot of exercise so I get hungry a lot and I need to eat a fair bit to maintain my current weight.
    £13 is really cheap, to be honest I'd rather save money on things like alcohol than cut back too much on my food
    I don't even drink much alcohol... I mean, I don't go out and drink as much as most people do and when I do go out I'll usually only have one drink or a couple of soft drinks. But I haven't actually included going out money in my £13 (obviously). What I did do is buy enough ingredients to make myself a bolgnese and I split it up, froze it, and used it up over a set of 3 or 4 days. The portions were plentiful when combined with a side salad of lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber and possibly one slice of garlic bread (if I'm feeling really hungry). The other days I would have rice and vegetables with maybe those frozen chicken things you can get from birdseye (okay, I know they are not the healthiest but they were £1 for two so that could stretch over two dinners). The rest of the salad can be used in sandwiches for lunches and I have eggs and toast for breakfast.

Oh and I've bought apples for snacking on... I'm really trying to slim down :o:

Lets see how bored I get with this :p:

ReputationRep:
    seven pound

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emm86)
    you can really save on groceries by bulk buying meat and things like that when they are on offer in the supermarket and keeping them in the freezer.

I usually spend around 20 a week but every now and then spend a bit more stocking up on bits and bobs
    Main trouble being freezer space though, like I have one shelf in the freezer here, wheras at home I had 2 chest freezers. Used to buy whole lambs, whole pigs, bulks of chickens. Butcher and freeze them, so cheap to do and it's great fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Megaross)
    Main trouble being freezer space though, like I have one shelf in the freezer here, wheras at home I had 2 chest freezers. Used to buy whole lambs, whole pigs, bulks of chickens. Butcher and freeze them, so cheap to do and it's great fun.
    whole lambs and pigs? wow thats a big freezer!

ReputationRep:
    I spend between £9 - £13, it's usually only higher because I buy cakes/biscuits and other indulgent stuff. Includes meat, veg, fruit, sauces and other things for cooking. Seems like a small sum compared to others here, I don't scrimp either :p:

ReputationRep:
    Every 2 day i do a shop of about a fiver, I'm not really thinking of budget,

So i'll guess £15 a week

I am however much degrading my diet. The best form of protein i get is chickpeas, or tofu split in very rationed portions so it lasts a long time, the odd bit of cheese and cheap peanut butter.

I always buy fresh vegetables; mainly broccoli, carrots, onions, sweet potatos, also spinach.

Go to ethnic food stores to buy spices, herbs, indian and arabic bread.

Fill up on cheap carbs-french bread, bread as above, pasta, rice

few cans/cartons of crushed tomatos

Cake...

ReputationRep:
    I used to spend around £30 a fortnight [roughly]. When I was a vegan, it was about the same as I spent more on yoghurts, milk etc as I had to buy the vegan alternatives.

I recommend trying local markets and butchers. The fruit and vegetable stall I go to is a quarter of the price of Sainsbury's and whilst they are usually supermarket rejects, there is nothing wrong with the food. I also recommend buying bulk of staples like brown rice, cous cous and so forth. You can make them into healthy meals with just a few veggies and spices. I do have an extensive spice collection - something I built up a lot when I was a vegan - which makes it easy to make tasty meals. They can be expensive at first but they last a long time. Try meat alternatives - dried chick peas, lentils etc are really cheap and tofu is also. The local Thai supermarket sells big blocks of fresh tofu [around 500g] for £1. And, use the freezer. Buying things when they are reduced and freezing them can save lots of money...

I worked out my budget this year and I have £19 a week left after rent for everything. So, I need to cut down quite a bit.

My problem is that I never fancy what I have in and like some of the other posters, I tend to keep the cupboards pretty full.

I thought about trying a new tactic to keep my spending down - not going shopping until I have essentially run out of everything lol. I usually go on the same day each week/fortnight, regardless of whether I need a little or a lot. At the moment, I have lots of things in so I reckon I could go at least a fortnight without going shopping again and it will force me to eat things that otherwise would stay in the cupboard all term!

ReputationRep:
    i just spent £28 in asda for two people, we did already have a fair bit in though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emm86)
    whole lambs and pigs? wow thats a big freezer!
    Chest freezers, god tier.

ReputationRep:
    Approximately £15-£20 per week.

ReputationRep:
    I set a challenge a few weeks back, ended up spending £7.09 over 7 days, though I sometimes had two meals a day and I don't my appetite is huge.

However £15 suffices. The more you have the higher quality brands you get and the more meat you can afford.

Sainsburys basics sausages, 48p for a pound!(454g). Ok ok they're only 42% pork BUT I'll have you know Richmond, which cost nearly four times as much when I last went in...also only have 42% pork!

Four sausages for 24p, you can't complain, they're good for the price. Four of them, few hash browns, half a tin of beans, om nom nom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    I set a challenge a few weeks back, ended up spending £7.09 over 7 days, though I sometimes had two meals a day and I don't my appetite is huge.

However £15 suffices. The more you have the higher quality brands you get and the more meat you can afford.

Sainsburys basics sausages, 48p for a pound!(454g). Ok ok they're only 42% pork BUT I'll have you know Richmond, which cost nearly four times as much when I last went in...also only have 42% pork!

Four sausages for 24p, you can't complain, they're good for the price. Four of them, few hash browns, half a tin of beans, om nom nom.
    Oh, so Richmond have added more pork to their sausages now? They used to only have 41%, which I always thought was a little bit daft because that 1% that was missing before is the difference between whether or not they can legally label their product as "pork sausages". Personally I'd like to see that legal minimum go up to 51% or 60%, so the product can only be called a 'pork sausage' if the damn thing is mostly pork rather than rusk, water and other bits of cheap filler.

(Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
    She usually spends around £15 or so. Does anyone else do it?
    Figures of around £15 or £20 are fairly common for those students smart enough to keep to a weekly food budget. Personally, £15 is just about the bare minimum I'd be happy with for a weekly shop, but I know I could manage with it without going hungry. I don't cook every night (one of the few perks of living with your parents, I suppose :p:) so it's been a while since I did a proper weekly shop, but I've made up a quick menu for the sorts of things I'd eat in a typical week and totted up the cost for the ingredients, and it came to £12.63, but that doesn't include the cost of drinks, snacks and so on, just the cost of the food for my main meals for a week...for the sake of variety I could buy an extra couple of items and still come under a £15 budget.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalimyr)
    Oh, so Richmond have added more pork to their sausages now? They used to only have 41%, which I always thought was a little bit daft because that 1% that was missing before is the difference between whether or not they can legally label their product as "pork sausages". Personally I'd like to see that legal minimum go up to 51% or 60%, so the product can only be called a 'pork sausage' if the damn thing is mostly pork rather than rusk, water and other bits of cheap filler.
    Agreed on the % thing, but I'd also like there to be a certain amount of premium cuts used - almost anything from a pig is considered 'pork'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    Agreed on the % thing, but I'd also like there to be a certain amount of premium cuts used - almost anything from a pig is considered 'pork'.
    but then when it is minced and processed as it is...protein is protein in the end, in fact some more unappetising parts of the animal maybe more rich then classic cuts, just the texture before being all squished together would be off-putting.....I wonder if marrow is used..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    but then when it is minced and processed as it is...protein is protein in the end, in fact some more unappetising parts of the animal maybe more rich then classic cuts, just the texture before being all squished together would be off-putting.....I wonder if marrow is used..
    Marrow is decent - it's stuff like ligaments and fat that contribute no protein, but plenty of other stuff, that concerns me.

ReputationRep:
    Marrow is decent - it's stuff like ligaments and fat that contribute no protein, but plenty of other stuff, that concerns me.
    aye fat levels are a concern, as it water content(cheap cuts of meat, you loose about 20-20% of it's mass when you cook it.) since you're losing out there. I imagine though even connective tissues are still basic proteins and amino acids when it comes down to it, which is what you need in the end.

But anyway honestly for 48p for a pound, they're really not bad at all, no grizzly bits or anything, perfectly adequate for a budget fry up, sandwich, bangers and mash etc.

ReputationRep:
    I spend about £25 a week on average I think. I could probably spend less, but I don't eat meat already and I like to eat nice food :p:.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    waitrose sausages tell you the percentage of different cuts used rather than just an overall pork percentage.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.