Turn on thread page Beta

How much do you spend on groceries? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schizopear)
    waitrose sausages tell you the percentage of different cuts used rather than just an overall pork percentage.
    But that can still be misleading. I can't really say it much better so I'll just quote from another site:
    The definition of meat is based on new regulations which came into force in 2003. Broadly, pork can contain up to 30% fat and 25% connective tissue and still be described as meat. Beef and lamb meat can contain up to 25% fat and 25% connective tissue.
    So, I looked on Waitrose's website and found some sausages that said they had 70% pork shoulder and 13% pork belly. This is in a 400g pack of sausages...you look at the label and you think "Wow, 83% pork meat, that's good" and when you think that 332g of the 400g is labelled as either pork shoulder or pork belly, who's going to complain? But...using what was posted in the quote above, what could really be in there?
    280g of "pork shoulder" can legally be as little as 126g of meat with 84g of fat and 70g of connective tissue
    52g of "pork belly" can legally be as little as 23.4g of meat with 15.6g of fat and 13g of connective tissue
    Your 83% pork sausage could really have as little as 37.35% pork meat in it rather than the 83% you think it has. And in all honesty, that is frightening, especially when many other sausages will list meat (say the legal minimum of 42%) and then after water and perhaps rusk they'll then have another entry for "pork fat" or similar, so they can have the fat mixed in with the meat (what they can get away with still classing as 'meat') and then add in even more fat on top of that so long as it's listed separately in the ingredients.

I've now got my own mincer with a sausage-filling attachment, and I'm all the happier for it, knowing exactly what's going into my sausages

ReputationRep:
    How much did you spend for the first shop? (assuming you had like... nothing)

I think my first shop was around £65 but most of those things (pasta, rice, frozen food) would last for months!

The only things I'd buy regularly would be milk, cheese, ham, bread, cereal, noodles (cheap super noodles) and fruit/veg. I buy the really cheap buscuits for like 25p a packet. There's nothing wrong with them, they're NOM! I buy the 3 litre squash stuff as well and that lasts forever!

Got a tip for those using proper sauces for pasta etc. Use tomato soup! Srsly.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Dalimyr)
    But that can still be misleading. I can't really say it much better so I'll just quote from another site:

So, I looked on Waitrose's website and found some sausages that said they had 70% pork shoulder and 13% pork belly. This is in a 400g pack of sausages...you look at the label and you think "Wow, 83% pork meat, that's good" and when you think that 332g of the 400g is labelled as either pork shoulder or pork belly, who's going to complain? But...using what was posted in the quote above, what could really be in there?
    280g of "pork shoulder" can legally be as little as 126g of meat with 84g of fat and 70g of connective tissue
    52g of "pork belly" can legally be as little as 23.4g of meat with 15.6g of fat and 13g of connective tissue
    Your 83% pork sausage could really have as little as 37.35% pork meat in it rather than the 83% you think it has. And in all honesty, that is frightening, especially when many other sausages will list meat (say the legal minimum of 42%) and then after water and perhaps rusk they'll then have another entry for "pork fat" or similar, so they can have the fat mixed in with the meat (what they can get away with still classing as 'meat') and then add in even more fat on top of that so long as it's listed separately in the ingredients.

I've now got my own mincer with a sausage-filling attachment, and I'm all the happier for it, knowing exactly what's going into my sausages
    wow, i'm surprised that they're not allowed to include more fat in the pork belly percentage. pork belly is about 40% fat anyway.

why would you be surprised or concerned about the amount of fat in sausages? it's a fatty food item made from fatty cuts of meat!

my only concerns when it comes to sausages are that the meat is free-range and it tastes nice...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by brokenangel27)
    How much did you spend for the first shop? (assuming you had like... nothing)

I think my first shop was around £65 but most of those things (pasta, rice, frozen food) would last for months!

The only things I'd buy regularly would be milk, cheese, ham, bread, cereal, noodles (cheap super noodles) and fruit/veg. I buy the really cheap buscuits for like 25p a packet. There's nothing wrong with them, they're NOM! I buy the 3 litre squash stuff as well and that lasts forever!

Got a tip for those using proper sauces for pasta etc. Use tomato soup! Srsly.

i use tubs of garlic and herb cheese when i'm feeling lazy...

or mascarpone mixed with red pesto. yum!

ReputationRep:
    My shop ( i do it with the person I live with) costs around £40 a week. But we buy lots of meat, and 2 ready meals each a week (as there are a couple of dyas we dont have much time and want to be lazy :P.

We also buy a couple of bars of chocolate too, so its not all necessities, its luxuries too!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.