Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i work for a large chain company..
    what rights do i have in terms of rest breaks?
    yestreday, i worked a 6 hour shift and only got a break 4 hours and 20 mins into my shift
    personally i didn't think this to be acceptable, but is it also illegal? is there an amount of time that an employee must have a break by?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on how old you are, but whether you are over 16 or over 18, they're within their rights to give you that break.
    See these links:
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/YoungPeo...work/DG_174530

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...ff/DG_10029451

ReputationRep:
    you can work up to 6 hours with no break legally

ReputationRep:
    Nyah, quit your whining. It's meant to be something like 15 minutes every four hours or so.

Hell, most people in the hospitality industry don't get breaks officially, unless they are very lucky.

ReputationRep:
    In my last job I worked a 7 hour shift, finished at 2pm, got my 'break' at 1.30/1.45pm.
    I didn't even have time to drink a cup of tea in my break, be thankful!

ReputationRep:
    If you're under 18, it's 30 mins in every 4 hours. If you're over 18, you can legally be asked to work for 6 hours with no break. And sorry, but getting a break over 4 hours in to your shift is fairly normal!

ReputationRep:
    My friend is 17 and sometimes only gets her break 5 and a half hours into her shift, half an hour before she has to leave. She works for a major supermarket, and sometimes they're just too busy to find someone to cover her till, so she has no choice and she just puts up with it.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.