Turn on thread page Beta

Driving Up Kerbs.. watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically i need to drive up a non-dropped kerb to enter my driveway. Is it okay if i take it at 10mph in 2nd gear? or i should i stop first?
    i'v heard that drving up kerbs is bad for the tyres, like dry steering i heard?

ReputationRep:
    Lol

ReputationRep:
    I would think it would be better to do it slowly.. my dad does it everyday (slowly) and he has never had a problem with his tyres from it.

ReputationRep:
    The tyres wouldn't be my concern, it'd be the tracking if you're taking it at an oblique angle.

ReputationRep:
    Please, go right ahead and hit that curb in second. Don't come complaining when you need new wheels, tyres, suspension bushes and springs in 2 months time though. Would you hit that curb at 10mph with your push bike without pulling up or bunny hopping over it? Question answered.

Jesus, when did society forget about mechanical sympathy?!

ReputationRep:
    What you need to do is have you driving and someone in the passenger seat. Approach the curb straight on at about 10mph like you said.

A couple of metres before the curb, you and your passenger jump up in your seats. When you land you will lower the car, and when it springs back up you'll just jump onto the curb.

ReputationRep:
    Will depend on your car, if you have something german it wil never ever ever need fixing even if you hit it at 100mph bouncing off the limiter in 3rd, but if it's french expect the electronics to fail before you even reach the kerb.

ReputationRep:
    Get a dropped kerb? :lolwut:

If you hit it at 50mph the rear wheels should fly straight over so you're effectively doing half of any damage

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommyWannabe)
    What you need to do is have you driving and someone in the passenger seat. Approach the curb straight on at about 10mph like you said.

A couple of metres before the curb, you and your passenger jump up in your seats. When you land you will lower the car, and when it springs back up you'll just jump onto the curb.
    Omg that's so clever!

ReputationRep:
    Put a ramp before it and fly over the kerb.

ReputationRep:
    Drive over the nearest speed bump, fast, and land on your drive.

ReputationRep:
    Get yo car pimped out so it has mechanical legs and can "walk" over the kerb.

ReputationRep:
    Helium balloons.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Slowly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SummerSofas)
    Basically i need to drive up a non-dropped kerb to enter my driveway. Is it okay if i take it at 10mph in 2nd gear? or i should i stop first?
    i'v heard that drving up kerbs is bad for the tyres, like dry steering i heard?
    Just put some blocks of wood between the road and the kerb to break the steepness of the kerb. Triangle shaped wedges would be better, this way it is more like a ramp.

ReputationRep:
    You'll need to get hydraulic suspension fitted to help you get over the kerb, like the car in this pic
    Spoiler:
    Show

On a more helpful note, if you have to drive over a kerb the best thing to do is to line the car up square to the kerb and go up and over nice and slow. If it's a high kerb driving up forwards will be a better bet, as you're less likely to scrape your sump.

ReputationRep:
    10 is a probably a bit slow to make it safely. Speed up a bit.

ReputationRep:
    As a fellow motorist and human being I feel your pain brother. If you need someone to talk to about this harrowing issue, feel free to contact me :rolleyes:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.