Turn on thread page Beta

Driving Up Kerbs.. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This thread is epic :rofl:

My suggestion is to take a run at it. Mounting at about 40mph should suffice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    Would you hit that curb at 10mph with your push bike without pulling up or bunny hopping over it? Question answered.
    I actually would/do.

:\

I would never in a car though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingers)
    I actually would/do.

:\

I would never in a car though.
    So just riding along, sitting on the seat and making no effort to pull up at all? :confused: You'd get punctures every time if you had your tyres at the recommended pressures (not that anyone does, most people seem to ride around on the rims) - that is if you didn't just get thrown right over the bars.

I say again. Where the hell did mechanical sympathy go in today's society

ReputationRep:
    On a more helpful note, if you have to drive over a kerb the best thing to do is to line the car up square to the kerb and go up and over nice and slow. If it's a high kerb driving up forwards will be a better bet, as you're less likely to scrape your sump.
    This. I broke the tyre on a car by being side-on not front-on, scraping it against the kerb.

Nuffles - Youths today need more racing bikes! If they were running narrow tyres at 120psi, they'd learn to get up kerbs gently :rolleyes:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Id do it megga slow. you dont want to damage your tyres or anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OllyRunner)
    This. I broke the tyre on a car by being side-on not front-on, scraping it against the kerb.

Nuffles - Youths today need more racing bikes! If they were running narrow tyres at 120psi, they'd learn to get up kerbs gently :rolleyes:

Doing it just off from dead on will make it a lot easier on the car. Doing it at 45* or more can easily damage the tyre sidewalls but doing it dead on adds a lot of strain on the clutch as you try to pop it over. Doing it just off and one tyre at a time makes it a lot easier.

No, youths of today need to work in the bike section of Halfords for a year truing cheap **** wheels amid cries of poor product quality from the parents of the snotty bratty teenagers who slammed into curbs with them. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Part-ex your car for a Reliant Robin and take some driving lessons from Jeremy Clarkson. Then you can take the car up that pesky kerb on its roof and save your tyres.

ReputationRep:
    Is This Guy For Real!

ReputationRep:
    You're a dolt, and a criminal.

ReputationRep:
    Please do it slowly!! I was driving into my friends driveway a few weeks ago and even though she had a dropped curb I approached it in 2nd gear to just swing into her driveway and misjudged the angle causing me to go up the non dropped curb. It was a pure accident but now I need to get my tracking done.

ReputationRep:
    Line up and very very gently creep in 1st gear, if it's something you're doing every day you want to do it slowly and avoid stressing your car doing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Megaross)
    Line up and very very gently creep in 1st gear, if it's something you're doing every day you want to do it slowly and avoid stressing your car doing it.
    when i get to the lip i find the car reluctant to go in further. its with the wheels pressed up against the kerb wall, and if i drive forward, it pushes the wheels into the wall, should i use less inflated tyres?

and should i give ti a bit more clutch and a load more gas to get over it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SummerSofas)
    when i get to the lip i find the car reluctant to go in further. its with the wheels pressed up against the kerb wall, and if i drive forward, it pushes the wheels into the wall, should i use less inflated tyres?

and should i give ti a bit more clutch and a load more gas to get over it?
    The wheels will turn eventually, give it more clutch and if needed more gas.

Ask the council about a dropped kerb as well, you could at least get permission to put a dropped kerb in.

ReputationRep:
    This really is quite shocking :/ My 40 year old Morris Minor with tiny wheels and a 40hp engine has no trouble getting up kerbs without revving the nuts off it so modern cars with bigger wheels and bigger engines should have absolutely no trouble at all.

ReputationRep:
    This really is quite shocking :/ My 40 year old Morris Minor with tiny wheels and a 40hp engine has no trouble getting up kerbs without revving the nuts off it so modern cars with bigger wheels and bigger engines should have absolutely no trouble at all.
    whats the biggest kerbs you've ever taken on in your morris though? i mean the ones im talking about are like 8 inch typical pavement kurbs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SummerSofas)
    whats the biggest kerbs you've ever taken on in your morris though? i mean the ones im talking about are like 8 inch typical pavement kurbs
    I've never had a problem with any kerbs I've tackled, nor have I had any problems with the fields/rutted gateways I've tacked with it either. It helps that I have pretty extensive off road driving experience and know how to read the terrain, but most of it is common sense. If you stuck my old Land Rover in the lowest of it's 10 gears it would climb over pretty much anything you pointed it at, at idle without even touching the throttle. The fact that people don't have enough clutch/throttle control to pop up over a kerb is pretty worrying, and these people are out driving on our roads.

ReputationRep:
    I confirm that this is the case. At idle even in my car which has bugger all torque low down I can still climb over a normal kerb.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that people don't have enough clutch/throttle control to pop up over a kerb is pretty worrying, and these people are out driving on our roads.
    ^ Precisely. It also worries me that people even have to ask this. Probably the sort that go speeding around bends where they can't see more than 10m ahead, and oh boy do I see that a lot.

Common sense folks- it's a wonderful thing, no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flibbles)
    Common sense folks- it's a wonderful thing, no?
    and like many wonderful things it's pretty rare!

ReputationRep:
    why don't you just get out and walk up the Kerb?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.