Turn on thread page Beta

What the hell happened to Relationships watch

ReputationRep:
    Sex loosens up the tongue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanNature1992)
    I'm with you on this one:yes:
    Taking a risk with that sig pic in this multi racial forum aren't you?
    Still you aint red so i guess no one minds.

ReputationRep:
    The OP makes it sound like relationships have only just died out as it were.
    In the 70's and 80's it was exactly the same. My dad has told me some classic stories about some 17 year old girl who got pregnant. Classic village bike case. It has always been this way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deadlifts)
    This rant is kind of inspired by this thread - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1425795 and others I've seen recently.

What ever happened to relationships, at Univerisity, with me and my mates and even on the threads on TSR (mainly the ***** PUA ones), I notice that people (men and women) seem set on having one night stands or going out and getting laid, yet few people are interested in having a relationship with a partner.
    Maybe I'm just old (I'm 19) and boring but, I prefer having sex with a girl I'm going out with to One Night Stands. Also, it seems that the majority of people in relationships actually started from one night stands.

So what do you peeps prefer, getting laid or actual relationships? Obviously I'm generalising but, it seems like there's been a shift in culture over the past few years (which has happened) especially with sexual relationships.

How much can you deadlift?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tieyourmotherdown)
    Got something else on the brain by any chance? http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/images/smilies/p.gif
    Yeh I did, cheers for pointing that out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Astra_K)
    How much can you deadlift?
    At the moment I'm doing 100kg for 5 Reps, My goal at the moment is to get up to 120kg
    Check out my fitness blog, everything is there

ReputationRep:
    The idea of sex outside of a relationship revolts me.

ReputationRep:
    Ive had sex with one women, my current gf. Been with her for four years. Im 19.

ReputationRep:
    This rant is kind of inspired by this thread - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1425795 and others I've seen recently.

What ever happened to relationships, at Univerisity, with me and my mates and even on the threads on TSR (mainly the ***** PUA ones), I notice that people (men and women) seem set on having one night stands or going out and getting laid, yet few people are interested in having a relationship with a partner.
    Maybe I'm just old (I'm 19) and boring but, I prefer having sex with a girl I'm going out with to One Night Stands. Also, it seems that the majority of people in relationships actually started from one night stands.

So what do you peeps prefer, getting laid or actual relationships? Obviously I'm generalising but, it seems like there's been a shift in culture over the past few years (which has happened) especially with sexual relationships.
    You're right, sex on tap tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I'd much prefer a relationship, but I'm not going to turn down casual sex if that's the only offer on the table. But I'm unlikely to have any offer on the table any time soon.

ReputationRep:
    I personally don't know anyone who wants this.

ReputationRep:
    I would rather be in a relationship. I think most people would really

ReputationRep:
    I notice that people (men and women) seem set on having one night stands or going out and getting laid, yet few people are interested in having a relationship with a partner.
    Is that really true? I don't see many people on here getting regular one night stands or pulling regularly. All I see is people who are insecure and too scared to talk to the opposite sex, or people who are having other dating/relationship problems.

And most men between 18 and 30 deep down desire sex with a variety of females. It's the way we're wired. Many of the guys in this age range who get into monogamous relationships do so because they lack the skill or confidence to pull different women consistently, so they latch onto the first girl who likes them. Deep down, though, they still desire multiple partners.

So what do you peeps prefer, getting laid or actual relationships?
    What do you mean by 'actual relationships'? I presume you mean 'monogamous relationship'? But there are other types of relationships too. I categorize all relationships into one of the following categories:-

Long term or short term?

Monogamous or non-monogamous?

So, as you can see, there are 4 possible types of relationship that a man and woman can have (not including platonic friendships). You need to be more specific when you use the term 'actual relationship'.

For a relationship to be regarded as an 'actual relationship', it has to be one based on honesty, trust and respect as the foundation between two people who enjoy sharing each others' company, both sexually and non-sexually. As long as these conditions are fulfilled, then it can be considered an 'actual relationship' and it doesn't matter if it's long-term or short-term, monogamous or non-monogamous.

For me, I prefer non-monogamous relationships. They can be either long-term or short-term, as long as they are non-monogamous. I don't like monogamous relationships, but fair play to anyone who does.

You sound like you're on your high horse looking down on people who don't want monogamous relationships, but it's 2010 now and people are liberated and free to make the choices that best suit them.

I know I'd much rather be in a relationship, but the male student mentality I've experience so far is "find some average girl, shag her, never speak to her again".

(Original post by Beadle's About)
    For me, I prefer non-monogamous relationships. They can be either long-term or short-term, as long as they are non-monogamous. I don't like monogamous relationships, but fair play to anyone who does.
    What a nice man you must be.

You sound like you're on your high horse looking down on people who don't want monogamous relationships, but it's 2010 now and people are liberated and free to make the choices that best suit them.
    What kind of ******** answer is this?

Oh, it's 2010 now, I guess sex with animals and children are OK then? :hmmm: Please don't give me the "they can't give consent" argument.

OP, I totally get what you mean. It's just wholly disappointing.

There's a lack of gentleman nowadays. I think the world would be a better place if we all reverted back to traditional values.

ReputationRep:
    Cheap ***** are hardly worth the effort a lot of the time, rarely are they as fun or exciting as with a partner. Not like I really care what other people want to do, I just can't understand the appeal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    What a nice man you must be.

What kind of ******** answer is this?

Oh, it's 2010 now, I guess sex with animals and children are OK then? :hmmm: Please don't give me the "they can't give consent" argument.

OP, I totally get what you mean. It's just wholly disappointing.

There's a lack of gentleman nowadays. I think the world would be a better place if we all reverted back to traditional values.
    This is a fairly blatant straw-man argument.

If people are not interested in being monogamous, so what. There's nothing intrinsically superior about it.

"Traditional values" is a rather nebulous grass-greener-on-the-other-side sort of label TBH. What exactly is it that you're referring to?

(Original post by JGR)
    This is a fairly blatant straw-man argument.

If people are not interested in being monogamous, so what. There's nothing intrinsically superior about it.

"Traditional values" is a rather nebulous grass-greener-on-the-other-side sort of label TBH. What exactly is it that you're referring to?
    Relationships are supposed to be monogamous, i.e. devote yourself to one partner at any one time whether this may be a casual relationship or a marriage. God forbid if there are people who support non-monogamous marriages.

Traditional values: first and foremost - monogamous. Sex only in a long-term relationship (not any of this ******** ONSs), one marriage only, no divorce, no cheating etc.

Essentially common sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Relationships are supposed to be monogamous, i.e. devote yourself to one partner at any one time whether this may be a casual relationship or a marriage. God forbid if there are people who support non-monogamous marriages.

Traditional values: first and foremost - monogamous. Sex only in a long-term relationship (not any of this ******** ONSs), one marriage only, no divorce, no cheating etc.

Essentially common sense.
    If you want your relationship and your partner to be like that, that is perfectly fine.

Other people are free to make their own choices and judgements however.

"Common sense" seems to be defined as what the user thinks is a good idea :roll:

(Original post by JGR)
    If you want your relationship and your partner to be like that, that is perfectly fine.

Other people are free to make their own choices and judgements however.

"Common sense" seems to be defined as what the user thinks is a good idea :roll:
    So I'm guessing you're OK with the idea of let's say, me ******* a 5 year old kid or a goat, right?

After all, it's fine for me. :dunce:

Some people just have no standards when it comes to relationships.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 4, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.