The Student Room Group

US to tell Americans in Europe to stay away from public places?

I've just heard on Sky News that the AP has announced that the US government may be planning to tell Americans to stay away from public places in Europe, perhaps due to the threat of terror.

Surely an overreaction? As far as I'm aware, European governments don't tell their citizens to stay away from public places in the United States when they foil a terror attack, like the attempted Times Square car bombing.

EDIT: Full AP statement, republished in Houston Chronicle:

WASHINGTON — The Associated Press has learned the Obama administration is considering a broad warning for U.S. citizens to avoid public places in Europe due to new al-Qaida threats.

Such a move could have significant implications for European tourism.

U.S. officials told the AP on Saturday that the State Department may issue a travel warning as early as Sunday advising Americans to stay away from European tourist sites, transportation hubs and other facilities airport for Europe because of new threat information.

State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley declined to comment on the matter. But he said the administration remains focused on al-Qaida threats to U.S. interests and will take appropriate steps to protect Americans.

[Sky News Live Stream]
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Stoopid yanks :colonhash:
Reply 2
The US is like a patient that walks into a hospital with a cold and thinks he has Ebola
Reply 3
:facepalm:
Reply 4
No not an overreaction. Just because European countries don't care as much for their citizens abroad, why should the US show the same level of disregard?
Reply 5
Some sources would be good.

And is it Europe in general or certain countries in Europe?
Reply 6
In fairness, if you look at the Foreign Office's list of advice/warnings they usually go uber-anal on the things to consider just to cover their own backs.

Remember how Spain was taken off their watch list when Michelle Obama and her kids went over recently?
Reply 7
Anything telling Americans to piss off is a jiving thing in my opinion. :awesome:
Reply 8
Wcap
Some sources would be good.

And is it Europe in general or certain countries in Europe?

Sky news is reporting it as breaking news in the last few minutes from the AP news agency, but I don't have any text sources on the internet ATM. I'd imagine it's Europe in general, as they haven't mentioned individual countries.
Reply 9
Fear everywhere, isn't that the goal of all terrorists?

A statement that reinforces a fear that is imaginary, won't this help the politicians cause?

Choose whichever one you like :h:
Drewski
In fairness, if you look at the Foreign Office's list of advice/warnings they usually go uber-anal on the things to consider just to cover their own backs.

They do say the most ridiculous things about places just to make sure no-one can blame them for not warning you. They make the most safe of places sound like a war zone!

It's fine America to warn their citizens abroad to be careful abroad, just as anyone is suggested when they go to a capital city.

But this is a bit over-sensitive and will create a hysteria and terror amongst a nation that doesn't really travel all that much, to not go abroad at all.
Reply 11
attiegina
No not an overreaction. Just because European countries don't care as much for their citizens abroad, why should the US show the same level of disregard?

I think it's more the fact it's a drastic overreaction to what happened. Unless they know something we don't...
A handful of terrorist attacks in a decade across an entire continent that has killed (as far as I'm aware) no Americans? I would wager that Americans are in danger because of American foreign policy pretty much wherever they go to an extent, but Europe is in many respects considerably safer than the United States.

In fact, if there's one thing that we can surmise from the choices of European targets so far, it's that British and Spanish commuters are the number one enemy of the Islamic World. :indiff:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
What's the point of visiting a new place if you're not going to be out in public?
:facepalm2:
Reply 15
Caprica
What's the point of visiting a new place if you're not going to be out in public?

Well, people would probably heed the warning because they don't want to die. If your government told you that it'd be dangerous to go into a public place while on holiday, would you go anyway?
Lolamerica.
Addzter
Well, people would probably heed the warning because they don't want to die. If your government told you that it'd be dangerous to go into a public place while on holiday, would you go anyway?

People still visit Israel, India, Turkey, Egypt, Somalia, et al even though their security situations are all pretty terrible, ranging from Maoist Rebels in India to Pirates and Islamist Militia in Somalia. Brilliant.
Reply 18
I know there's a stereotype, but I'm pretty sure holidaying Americans are aware that their safety could be at risk if they venture out into public places. They can decide for themselves whether to go or not. Besides, the message before has always been to continue going about our daily lives and not allow ourselves to be terrorised. HYPOCRISY!
Finally! No one likes american idiots around.

Latest

Trending

Trending