Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I'm currently in Year 12, subjects are: Maths, FM, Economics and History. I got decent GCSEs (in profile if you really want to know) and basically, my aim is to get into the best uni i can to study Economics. So, here i am people of TSR, what can i do to strengthen my chances?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Offer to give :joyman: to professors.

Just do the generic things, get involved with things, volunteering sports and get good grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    Offer to give :joyman: to professors.

Just do the generic things, get involved with things, volunteering sports and get good grades.
    I see...hmm i guess grades are all that matter these days :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zxh800)
    Hey guys,

I'm currently in Year 12, subjects are: Maths, FM, Economics and History. I got decent GCSEs (in profile if you really want to know) and basically, my aim is to get into the best uni i can to study Economics. So, here i am people of TSR, what can i do to strengthen my chances?
    Reading the news magazine "The Economist" would help, if only occasionally.
    You could also do extra reading about the subject, doesn't have to be too academic. I'd recommend "Freakonomics" and "The Undercover Economist" as great books!
    Good luck x

ReputationRep:
    Some work experience may help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perrytheplatypus)
    Some work experience may help
    Any suggestions on what kind of places i should try to get experience at?

ReputationRep:
    Any suggestions on what kind of places i should try to get experience at?
    Anywhere which allows you to waffle about skills you learnt and improved on. Actuarial, consulting, professional services, accountancy firms... Obviously the more renown the firm, the more impressive it will look, but the harder work experience will be to obtain.

ReputationRep:
    Staple a £50 note at the back of the application. :holmes:

No but really, just work experience, your interests, reading, why you want to do the course, etc.

Sample some PS' in the library.

ReputationRep:
    You sir, are a ****. Go get a degree, gypsy.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Why do you want to study Economics? Start here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pete.mcfc)
    You could also do extra reading about the subject, doesn't have to be too academic. I'd recommend "Freakonomics" and "The Undercover Economist" as great books!
    Good luck x
    Don't most economics applicants read 'The Economist' and Freakonomics anyway? It's hardly special and doubt just mentioning these would really strengthen their application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pete.mcfc)
    Good luck x
    (Original post by Muffin.)
    Don't most economics applicants read 'The Economist' and Freakonomics anyway? It's hardly special and doubt just mentioning these would really strengthen their application.
    Listen to Muffin. and read something better than this, everyone and their mother has read or says they have the Economist and Freakonomics/Harford's books/Frank's books (The pop-economics books), so try something more specific that you are interested in, it would serve both you and your application better

P.S. I have read the aforementioned books as well as subscribing to the Economist for a while :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffin.)
    From all the people I know most don't

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.