Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I like to read the news etc. I've been thinking of mabye subscribing to this, does anyone already have it? If not would you say it's probably worth it?
    Times+

It's £1 the first 30 days then £2 a week. That's a whole weeks worth of newspapers (and more) for about 25p a day?

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThinkingThoughts)
    Hi,

I like to read the news etc. I've been thinking of mabye subscribing to this, does anyone already have it? If not would you say it's probably worth it?
    Times+

It's £1 the first 30 days then £2 a week. That's a whole weeks worth of newspapers (and more) for about 25p a day?

What do you think?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/ :dontknow:

Don't give Murdoch the satisfaction, with his ridiculous paywall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/ :dontknow:

Don't give Murdoch the satisfaction, with his ridiculous paywall.
    The BBC is ok but I don't like their website. Apparently the Times+ has some really good exclusive and interactive content?

ReputationRep:
    The BBC is ok but I don't like their website. Apparently the Times+ has some really good exclusive and interactive content?
    Apparently, marketing is a powerful thing. Seriously, I've not heard about anything on The Times' website that I've been unable to access elsewhere; and I'm almost certain that what I am missing out on, isn't A) going to be worth £2 a week, and B) going to make me lose any sleep over.

If I have the choice between a vendor that charges me for content and a vendor that allows me to get almost the same content legally, for free, it doesn't take a genius to realise which one I'd go for.

At the end of the day, the new BBC news website may not be to everyone's taste - personally, I think it's a massive improvement - but how many other news outlets are there on the web that you can choose from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Apparently, marketing is a powerful thing. Seriously, I've not heard about anything on The Times' website that I've been unable to access elsewhere; and I'm almost certain that what I am missing out on, isn't A) going to be worth £2 a week, and B) going to make me lose any sleep over.

If I have the choice between a vendor that charges me for content and a vendor that allows me to get almost the same content legally, for free, it doesn't take a genius to realise which one I'd go for.

At the end of the day, the new BBC news website may not be to everyone's taste - personally, I think it's a massive improvement - but how many other news outlets are there on the web that you can choose from?
    But if I buy an actual paper (Which I do) it's £1 each day for the times and more for the sunday times. I get all the interactive content here, it's more up to date, it's quality journalism and apparently more.

Just playing Devils advocate here, I might just pay the £1 for a month and see how it is for myself. Can always cancel it.

ReputationRep:
    DONT SUBSCRIBE!!

Times+ is failing miserably but if more people start to subscribe then other newspapers will follow suit.

ReputationRep:
    But if I buy an actual paper (Which I do) it's £1 each day for the times and more for the sunday times. I get all the interactive content here, it's more up to date, it's quality journalism and apparently more.

Just playing Devils advocate here, I might just pay the £1 for a month and see how it is for myself. Can always cancel it.
    You might as well. I just find the concept of Murdoch's paywall totally abhorrent, tbh, and it's a concept that I really do not want to spread to other publications. :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Depends. If you virtually lived on the Times site before the paywall, then you'll like it. If not, there's nothing to pay the money for. Other half subscribes* so we have access, which I am glad of, but I wouldn't pay for it.

*sort of subscribes - we pay by direct debit for the weekend papers, which gives us Times+ membership and Times website access all week. It's the paper versions on a lazy Sunday that I think is worth the money, not the rest.

If you want quality, the Economist is online and free. So is the Guardian, the Independent, and the Telegraph. I simply don't see what is substantial that Times+ offers but that the Economist+Guardian+Independent+T elegraph do not.

Might as well - £1 isn't a huge commitment!

ReputationRep:
    I prefer the Daily Mail website personally. I find the articles there far more interesting than those in other mainstream papers.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 2, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.