Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering how many people at uni get regularly money from their parents? My brother is a fresher this year, and he doesn't, but he says pretty much everyone else he knows at uni does. Is this true for most places?

ReputationRep:
    The way student finance works is that your parents income is taken in to account, so if your parents earn a reasonable amount (£50k+) they're expected to cough up. In fact, in my 1st year at uni in 2005 it actually printed an amount of "assumed parental contribution" - about £1000 I think, on the letter telling me how much I'd get.

Some parents refuse to support their kids, which I do think is a bit sad. Especially since often it's the ones who put their kids through private education til they're 18, then the next year cut them off without a penny. Very strange.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.