Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    okay, as I understand, too low a tyre tread (under 1.6mm) and the tyre is unable to get rid of water quickly enough, it loses grip and can skid or aquaplane etc. Do lower tread tyres however improve acceleration?

And finally if 1.6mm is when you replace a tyre, at what tread are they normally purchased at? 4mm? thanks

ReputationRep:
    In response to acceleration.

I think it will increase acceleration, providing tires are warm enough. Because of a larger surface area in contact with the ground. This is just a guess btw, probably wrong.

No they don't, as long as the grooves are still there you aren't getting more rubber on the road. You need slick tyres with fewer grooves.

My tyres had minimum tread depths of 6mm when I bought them new, but obviously it totally depends on which one you get. The tyres you put on a Land Rover are going to have much deeper tread than ones you put on a Ferrari.

ReputationRep:
    so what advantages are there in tyres below 1.6mm tread? or is it a total lose/lose situation?

ReputationRep:
    It's against the law...you'll have problems in the rain if your tyres are really worn out.

(Original post by SummerSofas)
    so what advantages are there in tyres below 1.6mm tread? or is it a total lose/lose situation?
    It's lose lose. There's a reason they're illegal

ReputationRep:
    If you really want to overanalyse the situation, low tread means you've got a smaller radius to the wheel and so you've effectively lowered the final drive ratio. That will give you better acceleration and a lower top speed. Realistically, the difference is unlikely to be noticeable and probably difficult to even detect - and you'll see absolutely no difference on your speedo.

ReputationRep:
    Lower to the ground so you'll be able to corner a tiny little bit faster. probably. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Slick tyres=more contact with surface hence greater traction so faster acceleration etc... but causes aquaplaning in the rain
    This is most obvious in racing where as soon as it starts raining the cars on slicks massively drop of in speed and are forced to change to 'wet' tyres (that is tyres with tread). So you fit treaded tyres to all road cars because it is slightly impractical to change tyres everytime it starts/stops raining.

ReputationRep:
    It's against the law and its a lose/lose situation.

You won't gain anything, especially acceleration and when it comes to braking and cornering in the wet you will have more chance of sliding and crashing.

New tyres have different amounts of tread depending on their intended usage and make but I think at least 5/6mm.

ReputationRep:
    Also remember that they must have 1.6mm in the central 3/4's of the width of the tread, AND visible tread around the outer shoulders.

Simple way to check depth....

As an example, the tire in the link below clearly has more than 1.6mm across most of its breadth, but has a worn smooth shoulder and so would be illegal.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...-tire_wear.jpg

ReputationRep:
    No real upsides, don't skimp on the one thing which keeps your car in contact to the earth. So many accidents could have been prevented by using good quality rubber with proper tread depth.
    Bald chinese made ditchfinders are in no way adequate to allow you to stop in a proper time.

ReputationRep:
    Chinese tyres are great - I sound like Starsky and Hutch whenever I go round a corner. :top:

ReputationRep:
    I think there was a study done a few years ago that said stopping ability in the wet was seriously hampered under 3mm and then exponentially increased under 2mm. I change my tyres between 2 and 3mm now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    I think there was a study done a few years ago that said stopping ability in the wet was seriously hampered under 3mm and then exponentially increased under 2mm. I change my tyres between 2 and 3mm now.
    Makes sense, I reckon I can feel the grip getting worse in the rain well before the TWI's are flush.

on a boring and sensible note... wrt my earlier attempted joke about Starsky and Hutch - Chinese tyres with lots of tread are obv. better and more legal than bald expensive tyres, so please don't put off replacing tyres that need it cos you want to save up for premium brands or anything like that.

ReputationRep:
    True but I'd rather get some part worn tyres, matching axles obviously, of decent brands. Than get brand now ling long ditchfinders.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 5, 2010
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.