Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Playing as 'Taliban' removed from 'Medal of Honor' game watch

ReputationRep:
    CNN) -- Plans to let players control Taliban fighters in the highly anticipated "Medal of Honor" video game have been scrapped amid harsh criticism from military officials and others.

Game publisher Electronic Arts said Friday that it has decided to remove the name "Taliban" from one of the forces in the multiplayer version of the game, which focuses on modern-day fighting in Afghanistan.

[...]

Executive producer Greg Goodrich said the development team listened to feedback from friends and families of fallen soldiers who expressed concern over the game's option to let players fight as the Taliban.

"This is a voice that has earned the right to be listened to. It is a voice that we care deeply about," Goodrich said in a written statement. "Because of this, and because the heartbeat of 'Medal of Honor' has always resided in the reverence for American and Allied soldiers, we have decided to rename the opposing team."
    WtF? So what you're playing American troops in Afghanistan that are fighting...the Nazis?? lool

ReputationRep:
    Pathetic move by EA. Aren't they just going to be called 'the opposing forces' now? :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    If people didn't like it, they wouldn't buy the game and thus it would be a commercial failure.

They've done it to America's Army, too. Originally, each team saw themselves as the US Army and the opposing team as "OpFor" (so that nobody actually played as the bad guys), but that's now been changed to US Army vs US Army as of v3.0.

ReputationRep:
    I imagine they'll just be renamed as Insurgents. EA should really get some balls.

Great, I won't be buying it then.

ReputationRep:
    Wth.
    That's pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    I'm now not buying that game. How silly are they? seriously!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RamocitoMorales)
    Great, I won't be buying it then.
    Yes you will. Nobody is not going to buy the game because of this.

About 99% of people will say they won't however.

ReputationRep:
    ffs...I can't believe they bowed down to pressure. It's only the people who were never planning on buying this game who complained anyway.

ReputationRep:
    so what's the opposing force going to be called now - The Russian Army? Islam?

ReputationRep:
    pussys

ReputationRep:
    so what's the opposing force going to be called now - The Russian Army? Islam?
    No, they're called the Opposing Force loool.

ReputationRep:
    Big wow. I couldn't care less whether it was the Taliban or the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

ReputationRep:
    ffs...I can't believe they bowed down to pressure. It's only the people who were never planning on buying this game who complained anyway.
    True, most people (Americans aswell) who wanted to play the game would buy it anyways, wether the Taliban was in it or not.

ReputationRep:
    What they SHOULD do is let the player enter the name of the opposing force. In COD it's never said in multiplayer, it just pops up on the scoreboards etc.

You could then enter 'Taliban' all you wanted.

ReputationRep:
    lol you're still going to be playing as the Taliban, just with a different name.

ReputationRep:
    lol you're still going to be playing as the Taliban, just with a different name.
    I know thats why its so stupid, game looks sweet thoughl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9l2aqtY3EQ

ReputationRep:
    **** sake I actually thought EA had balls for a second. I was seriously going to get this game until this happened. I know a lot of people will do the same.

ReputationRep:
    It's insensitive that you can play as American soldiers, you know, the ones who have slaughtered thousands of innocent afghans and iraqis! I may complain.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 7, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.