Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Playing as 'Taliban' removed from 'Medal of Honor' game watch

ReputationRep:
    The people who opposed the use of the word "Taliban" obviously missed the basis of the game. Maybe they would be better suited to keeping their mouths clothed and their television sets off.

ReputationRep:
    not surprised:giggle:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QwentyJ)
    I imagine they'll just be renamed as Insurgents. EA should really get some balls.
    (Original post by Stefan1991)
    **** sake I actually thought EA had balls for a second. I was seriously going to get this game until this happened. I know a lot of people will do the same.
    (Original post by FallOnDeathsEars)
    pussys
    (Original post by chemical_bex)
    Wth.
    That's pathetic.
    Why? Do you know how patriotic America are? It's not like this is going to affect who buys the game. They would of been criticised immensely and it would of been a failure. They're making games to make money, not to please a meaningless percentage of fans.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares? Complaining about this is just as stupid as complaining about it being called Taliban in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    Pathetic! No other words to describe it

ReputationRep:
    What's the point in having realism if you can't even have the name? Might as well just call the country 'badmanistan' just to appease the complainers.

ReputationRep:
    where is freedom of choice now? i want to play taliban and kill americans my choice my freedom. Oh wait its only freedom when u can kill afghanis .

Rename as 'Nabilat"? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm not buying it n- Oh wait, I wasn't buying it anyway because it sucks.

ReputationRep:
    Look I think they should just rename it to make everyone feel more comfortable. Lets just give them the name the US used to refer to them as back in the Soviet days.

ReputationRep:
    FAIL
    Don't think I will buy this game any more

ReputationRep:
    It shouldn't be up to them to decide who we as the public get to play or back, not that Im backing the taliban, that frankly is not 'democratic'. Its OK for british/american soldiers to kill taliban but not the other way round?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_muneeb_x)
    where is freedom of choice now? i want to play taliban and kill americans my choice my freedom. Oh wait its only freedom when u can kill afghanis .
    this, +rep, im just in the mood :p:

ReputationRep:
    FFS, thats it im no buying the game now... Bloody ********...

ReputationRep:
    Try Insurgency, a HL2 mod where you can be Americans as well as Iraqi insurgents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0llima)
    They've done it to America's Army, too. Originally, each team saw themselves as the US Army and the opposing team as "OpFor" (so that nobody actually played as the bad guys), but that's now been changed to US Army vs US Army as of v3.0.
    Now that is daft.

In COD4 and Modern Warfare 2 one of the enemy multiplayer factions is OpFor, no-one says anything about that.

ReputationRep:
    I've never seen the point of these games... so never actually buy/play them.

But why don't they just call the playable one's as 'army 1', 'army 2' etc etc.

or let people choose the style of army they want to play as and give the name to the army themselves?

I wonder why they haven't consulted the families of the many innocent people that have been killed by the US Militants.... oh sorry I mean 'army'? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Nice to see how games are not considered an art form like films or novels. Imagine how ridiculous it would be if, for example, Hurt Locker was set during an imaginary war in some vaguely Arabic country. Go ignorance.

While we're at it, let's take a look at some quotes:

(Original post by Liam Fox, Defence Secretary UK)
    It is "shocking that someone would think it acceptable to recreate the acts of the Taliban against British soldiers".
    Except in a war film, presumably.

(Original post by Peter MacKay, Defense Minister Canada)
    Pete MacKay "finds it wrong that anyone, children in particular, would be playing the role of Taliban. Canada and its allies have fought far too long in Afghanistan and it's not a game"
    Unless children are classified as 18 and above, I don't think any of them will be 'playing the role of the Taliban'. Is Afghanistan only a film and a novel if not a game?

ReputationRep:
    Why is it so important to people that they can play as the taliban?
    I'm not deeply offended that I can't play as nazis in alot of games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bonged.)
    Why is it so important to people that they can play as the taliban?
    I'm not deeply offended that I can't play as nazis in alot of games.
    I can't recall a WWII game where you can't play as the Nazis, personally.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 7, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.