Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can girls who have had bf's be insecure with their looks? watch

ReputationRep:
    Bad breakups can often make people feel insecure about themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Just comes down to vanity and insecurity.

Many girls just don't have the depth or richness of character to just stride over the bar of self-consciousness and just live their lives being happy with what they've got.

When you go through a terrible break up it leads to insecurity

ReputationRep:
    Im like this. :sigh:
    And it got worse though. I got tired of worrying about my looks eventually because i cant do anything about it.

ReputationRep:
    Just because someone finds me attractive, doesn't mean:

1. I think I'm attractive
    2. I actually AM attractive

I've always had horrifically low self esteem (bar the 6 months I was on anti depressants) and having a boyfriend barely changes that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jmenkus)
    Bad breakups can often make people feel insecure about themselves.
    this :yep:

ReputationRep:
    More than a few I know/knew were incapable of associating their unattractiveness with anything other than their appearances. Maybe it's just a common trait?

ReputationRep:
    More to the point - how do so many students have enough free time to fret about their appaerances to the point of becoming insecure or depressed?

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends has been with her boyfriend for over a year and she still thinks he's going to run off with a girl who's prettier than her etc.
    Some people are just insecure.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Ive been rated the least attractive in the year for a facial attractiveness activity, got mainly 4's out of 10 but im still not all that insecure even though ive never been offered a date by a guy! Yet most girls are getting compliments and male interest and still complain.
    Schools actually do this :lolwut: That is horrible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redbeard the Mighty)
    More to the point - how do so many students have enough free time to fret about their appaerances to the point of becoming insecure or depressed?
    You've got to be kidding...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    You've got to be kidding...
    Not really. Between work and uni around 70 hours of my week are accounted before, and what's left is taken up by shenanigans. I couldn't find time to worry about whether people think I'm hot or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uhy8)
    This.

It's such a gross double standard that women are allowed to be insecure about their looks but men aren't.
    It's also a proof of how sexist many women really are.
    Yup, unluckily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanNature1992)
    You speak the truth.:yes:
    Glad someone thinks so. xD

(Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    Just comes down to vanity and insecurity.

Many girls just don't have the depth or richness of character to just stride over the bar of self-consciousness and just live their lives being happy with what they've got.
    so true, I think as they get older and become women this often changes. Its like lads when they are young they only seem interested in girls with nice looks and blank unattractive ones, yet older men will talk to anyone and everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, what? Ugly girls get boyfriends all the time, as someone else said, have you ever watched Jeremy Kyle? Having a boyfriend doesn't automatically mean you're not hideous.

ReputationRep:
    ...because I don't use boys as a judge of my self-worth/physical appearance?
    I've had boyfriends and plenty of compliments and some days I just feel like a beached whale.

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend telling me I'm beautiful won't stop me feeling unhappy with certain aspects of my appearance because validation from another isn't what gives me my self esteem or confidence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uhy8)
    This.

It's such a gross double standard that women are allowed to be insecure about their looks but men aren't.
    It's also a proof of how sexist many women really are.
    Hang on,Iam all for calling out women for double standards in terms of being shallow for instance or being unfaithful but I don't think you can blame this one on women but on men.

I have never,not once heard a women go off about a man being concerned about his appearance, calling him a practicing homosexual, a girly man , or being too vain. It is always us. We are told to manup and stop being a girl by other men.

Now women may secretly prefer confident secure men who don't spend more time in front of the mirror than her.But the overt sexism comes from other men.

ReputationRep:
    A break up with a boyfriend can leave many girls feeling insecure. Esp if he was a right **** because it makes you question WHY was he such a ****?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 3, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.