Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yes/no?

Are we a concious being, or are we a collection of molecules which give a false impression of being a single unit?

I suppose this is closely linked to the pre-determinsm/free will debate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plopplop)
    Are we a concious being, or are we a collection of molecules which give a false impression of being a single unit?
    Both?

ReputationRep:
    You are what you think you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plopplop)
    Yes/no?

I suppose this is closely linked to the pre-determinsm/free will debate.

It is easier to say that how we view the universe and reality could not be further from the truth of how everything is actually happening.

ReputationRep:
    Life is subject to how our receptors interpret and respond to stimuli.

Why does it matter? As long as i can go on facebook i don't really care what i am....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Incredible)
    Why does it matter? As long as i can go on facebook i don't really care what i am....
    Who said it matters?

ReputationRep:
    If find the compatibilism stance to be most convincing. That the actions of the particles that we consist of are determined, and that we also have free will. Determinism doesn't logically exclude free will, it is a common misconception. The wannabe philosopher on the street gets off on questions like these, where he thinks he has found some inconsistency of thought, but is really just a false dichotomy. Logic is not something that is as straightforward as it seems, and most people have a very poor understanding of it, despite believing themselves to be experts.
    This is a link to the paper in Mind, by R. E. Hobart, which argues that determinism and free will are compatible. This is the only position I find convincing, and I have read a fair few books on the topic. There are other good arguments, but there is not a single one which convinces me that we do not have free will.

ReputationRep:
    As Bill Hicks said, 'it's all a ride'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edd360)
    As if you have proof of that.

All opinions in this thread are subjective and deeply flawed with no conclusive proof of an empirical nature whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sithius)
    As if you have proof of that.

All opinions in this thread are subjective and deeply flawed with no conclusive proof of an empirical nature whatsoever.
    Hello, please ready my signature. Thanks bye

ReputationRep:
    As one of the finest philosophical minds on the forum, allow me to input something into the discussion. When you go to sleep tonight and enter into a dream, do you know that you are dreaming? The chances are you won't. You will believe it to be reality. No matter what happens, no matter how hard you work your brain, you will not being able to smash through the illusion and realise reality. So how can we be sure life is not an illusion? Life is no different from a dream in that as far as we are concerned in both, life is reality. But is it?

(Original post by Potassium^2)
    You are what you think you are.
    But the difficult distinction, is that you don't know whether it is "you" that is thinking, or just neurons giving you the illusion that you know what you are because of what you think you are.

(Original post by edd360)
    Close your eyes, block your ears and do not move. You are still capable of conscious thought. Cognitive processes do not necessarily need to rely on external stimuli to function.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beneb)
    Both?
    Well, that wrapped this thread up pretty quickly.

(Original post by Teveth)
    As one of the finest philosophical minds on the forum
    Hey, hows your 'Ask me any question' thread doing? ... Oh, 5 days on and not a single serious response, huh? Sucks.

ReputationRep:
    Cogito ergo sum

ReputationRep:
    Reminds me of one Simpsons intro.

ReputationRep:
    maybe we are in the matrix :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    its all a dream....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vitamortis)
    Close your eyes, block your ears and do not move. You are still capable of conscious thought. Cognitive processes do not necessarily need to rely on external stimuli to function.
    That conscious thought would rely on memories of previous external stimuli, would it not?

(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Hey, hows your 'Ask me any question' thread doing? ... Oh, 5 days on and not a single serious response, huh? Sucks.
    The regime sabotaged that thread by moving it to the ghastly 'Chat' forum, which as you know is inhabited by teenage girls and stupid morons. Had it been allowed to stay in a more serious forum, I have no doubt that it would have proved to be an enormous success.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.