The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Afghans in general are pretty damn courageous. Fought off the British at the turn of the 19th century, the Soviets in the 1980s, and the Americans in the 2000s. All three were world superpowers at the time of invasion, the British and Soviets never recovered.
Reply 101
Acerbic
Afghans in general are pretty damn courageous. Fought off the British at the turn of the 19th century, the Soviets in the 1980s, and the Americans in the 2000s. All three were world superpowers at the time of invasion, the British and Soviets never recovered.
That says more about the nature of the wars than the Afghans prowess though. It's like Vietnam or the American Revolutionary War really; they didn't need to defeat the enemy at all but just had to stay around long enough that the bigger army gets bored or has to deal with other commitments and leaves. None of them were military victories - they had their arses handed to them every time. They just evaded annihilation long enough to survive the invasions.
Reply 102
MJlover
As for your accusation that the Taliban is anti female education, my afghan female friend, who would seem to most people as 'western' and in no way 'fundementalist/extremist' told me that they do not oppose female education but advocate single sex schools.

I guess that's why they're burning schools down and throwing acids in girls' faces.
Reply 103
Iron Mike
There are internet cafe's in Afghanistan. There are lots of women in Afghanistan who are literate and also alive

Mike, you gotta cut the Talibans some slack. They're trying.
Reply 104
MJlover
So where shall I live, mars? And my parents contribute to the state, I have every right to recieve the fruits of their taxes. I did not choose to live here, but was forced by my parent.
Thirdly, the british welfare state , including education and the like, does not contradict Isla, if you read history you would know that the modern welfare state was innovated by Islam through Zakah payments.

You said you hate any state that does not have Shariah therefore go and move to a country that practises it and stop trying to justify being sponging off something you claim to hate.
Reply 105
Democracy
The Taliban are filth. This is not courage, it's the face of religious fascism:

Spoiler

Time and time again, you use petty emotional arguments to get your points across, what does that picture proof?

I could just as easily get a picture of the Abu Ghraib abuse and write under the picture "this is not courageous, this is US filth"

Add something useful to the debate for once ffs :colonhash:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 106
Iron Mike
Her citizenship is not based on her belief system. If she hates the system, that's her right.

If it was a genuine criticise then fair enough but if it is based on some backwards religious view she seems to have then I don't think it is her right.

She just looks like a massive hippocrite
In2deep
Time and time again, you use petty emotional arguments to get your points across, what does that picture proof?

I could just as easily get a picture of the Abu Ghraib abuse and write under the picture "this is not courageous, this is US filth"

Add something useful to the debate for once ffs :colonhash:

No, you couldn't.

Taliban believe what they are doing is right, they believe it's justified. The US don't. They know what those soldiers did was wrong, that's why individual personnels were charged and the prison refurbished That pictures proves a lot about the Taliban's character. He did add something useful. Appealing to emotion is not a petty argument.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 108
Iron Mike
Do you have any sources that go into further depth on this issue. It doesn't explain how long the ban was enforced for, when or even if it ever ended. From the limited information it seems they aren't actually against education for women, but just have an absurd idea that if males and females are educated together, then of course the male is going to mount her at one point or another.

Sure.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4201322772364661561#
Reply 109
MJlover
So where shall I live, mars? And my parents contribute to the state, I have every right to recieve the fruits of their taxes. I did not choose to live here, but was forced by my parent.
Thirdly, the british welfare state , including education and the like, does not contradict Isla, if you read history you would know that the modern welfare state was innovated by Islam through Zakah payments.

Lol Islam also "innovated" the jizya tax. A discriminatory tax designed to humiliated those who refuse to convert at the sword.

So.. when you're able to support yourself, I trust you will leave Britain for an Islamic state so you can pursue a perfectly religious lifestyle? Looking forward to it. Enjoy the literacy btw.
Sithius
Brainwashed, more like.

Only the sincere and truthful ones are courageous. Even in the most harsh of conditions their integrity remains intact. Their will to resist occupation and tyranny is admirable. However as with every civilisation there are the illiterate extremists, whom aren't courageous... In fact they're cowards.
The Afghan people can't be accused of cowardice. Stubbornness perhaps, maybe even misguided (everyone can agree that the Taliban isn't a good thing ultimately for Afghanistan) but the country's fame as being all but impossible to pacify is evident of their ability to stand up and fight.

Also for a backwards country they seem especially ingenious when it comes to combating foreign powers, especially superior forces, just a shame this ingenuity can't be transferred to more civil pursuits such as nation building.

I can understand their desire to protect their homeland from perceived outside invaders and occupiers, and the desire to defend a way of life is understandable to, though also sadder in that not all ways of life are worthy of defence, but that is ignorance which isn;t their fault, they don't know anything else.

It's also the fact that the Taliban is ultimately controlled/heavily influenced by strong outside parties, foreign fighters and leaders and jihadists and extremists.

While the average Talib grunt can be excused, the leaders are not so ignorant. They are ruled by their hatred and wilful ignorance. Hateful people who are so cowardly as to fear having to stew in it by themselves and so continue trying to deny Afghanistan its right to a better future.

Courage can cover a wider range of traits, are the Taliban brave? Yes they can be, but courage also embraces the unknown and facing it and dealing with tough questions.

In that regard I think the Taliban are a bit lacking, but ultimately they can put up a good fight.
Reply 112
Studentus-anonymous
The Afghan people can't be accused of cowardice. Stubbornness perhaps, maybe even misguided (everyone can agree that the Taliban isn't a good thing ultimately for Afghanistan) but the country's fame as being all but impossible to pacify is evident of their ability to stand up and fight.

Also for a backwards country they seem especially ingenious when it comes to combating foreign powers, especially superior forces, just a shame this ingenuity can't be transferred to more civil pursuits such as nation building.

I can understand their desire to protect their homeland from perceived outside invaders and occupiers, and the desire to defend a way of life is understandable to, though also sadder in that not all ways of life are worthy of defence, but that is ignorance which isn;t their fault, they don't know anything else.

It's also the fact that the Taliban is ultimately controlled/heavily influenced by strong outside parties, foreign fighters and leaders and jihadists and extremists.

While the average Talib grunt can be excused, the leaders are not so ignorant. They are ruled by their hatred and wilful ignorance. Hateful people who are so cowardly as to fear having to stew in it by themselves and so continue trying to deny Afghanistan its right to a better future.

Courage can cover a wider range of traits, are the Taliban brave? Yes they can be, but courage also embraces the unknown and facing it and dealing with tough questions.

In that regard I think the Taliban are a bit lacking, but ultimately they can put up a good fight.

MJlover thinks they're cool.
Reply 113
Aj12
If it was a genuine criticise then fair enough but if it is based on some backwards religious view she seems to have then I don't think it is her right.

She just looks like a massive hippocrite

Oh right, so anyone who doesn't tolerate the basic three-party system in the UK should bugger off? There are some nice things about the UK, but because I don't like their ruling system I should leave? I have the right to hate it and stay. Is that how you argue with anyone who criticises your country?
Reply 114
MJlover
Oh right, so anyone who doesn't tolerate the basic three-party system in the UK should bugger off? There are some nice things about the UK, but because I don't like their ruling system I should leave? I have the right to hate it and stay. Is that how you argue with anyone who criticises your country?

No it only annoys me when people hate the country for no other reason then their backwards view of religion. Im not trying to say Muslims are all backwards but someone who hates any country that does not practice shariah law?
Reply 115
Aj12
No it only annoys me when people hate the country for no other reason then their backwards view of religion. Im not trying to say Muslims are all backwards but someone who hates any country that does not practice shariah law?

Considering she supports the Taliban, a move to Afghanistan might be in order. She could join.
Reply 116
Bonged.
Considering she supports the Taliban, a move to Afghanistan might be in order. She could join.

where did I say that?
Reply 117
Bonged.
MJlover thinks they're cool.

You're so desperate and sad, you know.
Reply 118
MJlover
where did I say that?

You wouldn't deny that you condone their actions.

Here's your chance.

Do you?
Reply 119
MJlover
You're so desperate and sad, you know.

You're a nutter.
This IS fun.

Latest

Trending

Trending