Turn on thread page Beta

'Furness 'super-school' excludes 380 pupils' in its first year. watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-11450803

Do you think a normal school (i.e a non academy) would get away with these sorts of figures?

What this article doesn't tell you is that the 380 pupils were excluded on over 1000 occasions between them, and many of those exclusions weren't for swearing. They were for not wearing the correct uniform or having the wrong colour bag; some pupils were sent home on their first day for not having the right percentage of the colour black on their shoes. (Source: http://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/barrow...rerPath=2.3232)

I'm not against rules, but it seems so ridiculous when you consider that the cost of imposing them is a child's education. What are your views?

Also, this academy has received results that were 5% poorer than the three schools it replaced, all of which were on an upward trend before the Academy was created.

A "super-school" in south Cumbria excluded more than a fifth of its pupils in its first year, its principal has revealed.

A total of 380 pupils were temporarily ordered out of Furness Academy in Barrow, which opened in 2009.

Principal Doug Blackledge defended the move and said he had a "zero-tolerance" towards behaviour such as swearing.

The Department for Education said exclusions were at the discretion of individual schools.

Mr Blackledge said: "The number is larger than we would want, but it is not unusual in the first year of an academy to find ourselves setting new standards and for there to be a period of adjustment for pupils, and maybe parents.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote
    I am not prepared to lead an academy where people think it is okay to talk in that manner and I make no apologies for that”
    End Quote
    Doug Blackledge

Principal of Furness Academy
    "When the academy opened we inherited a large number of students who thought it was ok to swear as part of their communication with each other and staff.

"For me that is wholly unacceptable - we told all our parents on day one we have a zero tolerance policy towards swearing.

"I am not prepared to lead an academy where people think it is okay to talk in that manner and I make no apologies for that."

The school's first GCSE results were announced in September - 34% passed five GCSEs, compared with the national target of 46%.

Mr Blackledge said the first year of a new school was always a challenge and standards would improve.

ReputationRep:
    Lolol this school is in my home town. No one takes the principal seriously anyway, he's a prat. This academy should never have been created in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow drops)
    Lolol this school is in my home town. No one takes the principal seriously anyway, he's a prat. This academy should never have been created in the first place.
    Mine too :p:.

I agree that it should never have happened, but now that it is here it either needs to improve or come under serious scrutiny.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    That is good. Kids need discipline. They should also be allowed to beat the kids.

34% makes it one of the worst in the country doesnt it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    That is good. Kids need discipline. They should also be allowed to beat the kids.
    Do you agree that exclusion (which is supposed to be a last resort) is a suitable punishment for having a back pack that is too bright? In all honestly, why would someone with a black back pack learn better than someone with a yellow one?

ReputationRep:
    Unless they are vicious, horrible children, exclusion is POINTLESS. If you're a mis-behaving kid, being excluded is like getting a reward - they don't care about missing lessons, they shouls get a punishment that actually makes them think 'hey, actually, i won't mess about if i have to do THIS' like clearing up in the canteen or something, i don't know.
    Exclusion for uniform is stupid though, I mean, sure they should be told to stick to the rules, but not wearing 100% correct uniform isn't harful, is it?

ReputationRep:
    my school got 34% in my GCSE year. It was also it's first year as an academy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmie3303)

I agree that it should never have happened, but now that it is here it either needs to improve or come under serious scrutiny.
    Its results were NEVER going to increase this year. The principal is a complete tool for ever saying that. To be fair though, the academy took in pupils from a couple of seriously disadvantaged schools that have closed now, and the impact of previously bad schooling on current exam results never seems to be addressed in the articles which attack the academy. Having previously attended a dive of a school like Alfies (no offense if you went there) is always going to make a huge difference no matter which school you move to, and they're just not pointing that out because they seem to love heaping all of the blame on Douglas whatshisface. Then again, I've only read articles about this in the Evening Mail which is an absolutely horrendous excuse for a newspaper.

I'm glad I went to St Bernard's :proud:

ReputationRep:
    I'm all for strict discipline but the priciple just comes across as some power mad nutter. I mean 'not having the right percentage of the colour black on their shoes' :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fat-Love)
    my school got 34% in my GCSE year. It was also it's first year as an academy.
    And has the school improved since then? Do you think this school can improve?

ReputationRep:
    Then again, I've only read articles about this in the Evening Mail which is an absolutely horrendous excuse for a newspaper.
    Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    They should be spending time improving on the 34% pass rate rather than the colour of bags.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Do you agree that exclusion (which is supposed to be a last resort) is a suitable punishment for having a back pack that is too bright? In all honestly, why would someone with a black back pack learn better than someone with a yellow one?
    Yes it is. Rules are there for a reason. Break them and prepare for consequences. Children who do not follow these rules are not learning the life lessons of respect and abiding by rules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morecambebay)
    34% makes it one of the worst in the country doesnt it?
    If it doesn't make it one of the worst then we're in serious trouble :p:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skyhigh!)
    They should be spending time improving on the 34% pass rate rather than the colour of bags.
    Yes. Absolutely.

ReputationRep:

Yay lots of Cumbrians around today

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    Yes it is. Rules are there for a reason. Break them and prepare for consequences. Children who do not follow these rules are not learning the life lessons of respect and abiding by rules.
    I'm not advocating rule breaking. It's the mode of punishment that is ridiculous. In an attempt to create strict discipline they have lost sight of what school is actually for: learning.

ReputationRep:
    Cumbrians on TSR are usually from nice Cumbria and not horrible Cumbria. :sad:

One of the two sites of Furness Academy is actually on my road. LOL.

ReputationRep:
    Its results were NEVER going to increase this year. The principal is a complete tool for ever saying that. To be fair though, the academy took in pupils from a couple of seriously disadvantaged schools that have closed now, and the impact of previously bad schooling on current exam results never seems to be addressed in the articles which attack the academy. Having previously attended a dive of a school like Alfies (no offense if you went there) is always going to make a huge difference no matter which school you move to, and they're just not pointing that out because they seem to love heaping all of the blame on Douglas whatshisface. Then again, I've only read articles about this in the Evening Mail which is an absolutely horrendous excuse for a newspaper.

I'm glad I went to St Bernard's :proud:
    The true test of how good/bad it's been will be this year, as the pupils will have had two whole years of academy teaching. I still don't hold out much hope. Reports from inside the school say some kids have different supply teachers every week because many of the teachers from the predecessor schools jumped ship early on. The fact that the previous schools were disadvantaged does not change the fact that results were going up, and now they've gone down.

The Evening Mail has certainly got worse these last few years!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 5, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.