The Student Room Group

How do I stay motivated at a weekend?

Hey everyone.

I'm into A levels now, doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics(recently changed from Psychology). I'm already revising for my January exams and have made really good upto date notes for Biology and Chemistry and for maths I am making sure I know everything as I go along. As I have just joined Physics I am just getting use to everything they have done and doing the same thing as Maths, making sure I understand everything.

I feel so motivated in the week. I'm revising in all my frees/doing my homework and at least 3 hours after college. I'm doing weekly reading on forthcoming topics, notes on past topics and even reading and notes on what is to come up. However when it comes to a weekend, I'm not in the work frame of mind anymore. I barely get through 10 questions on maths and physics hence what I did today. I have a family and friends who I think I should be with but every second I have spare I always think I may aswell revise or help myself a bit.

I hardly spend time with friends at a weeknd so this isn't distracting me but is this normal to feel and perform this way at a weekend during A levels? Might sound a stupid question but my way of working just drops!
Exactly the same as me buddy, including the friends part. I have been at school for 4 weeks now, and on the week days I try to do all my homework, which usually takes me 3 + hours. I have attempted to make notes but I am getting lazier, but still the main problem is when it comes to weekends, I have almost no motivation to work.
It seems that my work ethic is gradually dropping, and with Physics being a damn hard subject (one that I would also like to take to university), I need up the game!
Awesomesauce
Exactly the same as me buddy, including the friends part. I have been at school for 4 weeks now, and on the week days I try to do all my homework, which usually takes me 3 + hours. I have attempted to make notes but I am getting lazier, but still the main problem is when it comes to weekends, I have almost no motivation to work.
It seems that my work ethic is gradually dropping, and with Physics being a damn hard subject (one that I would also like to take to university), I need up the game!

I'm planning and taking Physics at uni next year. And also I get super lazy at the weekend. Basically I bomb it through the week and stay up until 12am. Then saturday morning I sleep in until 11am to restore sleep dept. I then try and get some work done throughout the afternoon but I always delay it. And I have to start on the nearest whole hour or half hour. Are you doing AS or A2. I have seriously lack of effort for Simple Harmonic Motion in physics. Its the first time I have every disliked a module ever!
Freerider101
I'm planning and taking Physics at uni next year. And also I get super lazy at the weekend. Basically I bomb it through the week and stay up until 12am. Then saturday morning I sleep in until 11am to restore sleep dept. I then try and get some work done throughout the afternoon but I always delay it. And I have to start on the nearest whole hour or half hour. Are you doing AS or A2. I have seriously lack of effort for Simple Harmonic Motion in physics. Its the first time I have every disliked a module ever!

I am in AS. You chose some damn good unis looking at your sig! I would be happy to get offers from any of them.
Physics for me right now, is the hardest subject (Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Economics). Worried by this as if I am finding it difficult not sure I would make it through the next units and degree level Physics. It's not the Maths that is difficult, more so about applying a worded problem to an image.
Do you ever find something in Physics really difficult?

Good luck on your application.
Having a day off at the weekend is much better for you than working constantly, you need a break and a day off a week will keep you motivated for much longer than if you were to try and force yourself to work 24/7...
Reply 5
I took pretty much all Saturdays off at A-level (and have continued doing that throughout uni). Obviously it depends how quickly you can work, but I find intensely focusing for shorter periods of time suits me better, and allows me to stay involved with things I enjoy.
Awesomesauce
I am in AS. You chose some damn good unis looking at your sig! I would be happy to get offers from any of them.
Physics for me right now, is the hardest subject (Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Economics). Worried by this as if I am finding it difficult not sure I would make it through the next units and degree level Physics. It's not the Maths that is difficult, more so about applying a worded problem to an image.
Do you ever find something in Physics really difficult?

Good luck on your application.

What exam board are you doing and what module? I found it fairly hard at first, leading up to January in comparison to chemistry and maths, so I put most of my efforts into physics and came out with an A, B, C for Physics, Maths and Chemistry respectively. Put I retook the Maths and Chemistry in June and got A's for those modules and A's for the new modules. Basically I find the more stuff you can cover the easier it gets. I mean literally I'm doing C3 at the moment and I'm finding it pretty easy. To me it just seems like C1 style questions but using natural logs and exponentials and a few other bits. And because I learnt C1 so well, C3 has come together really well for me.

Edit: I generally find written answers hard. I'm much better at the calculations.
(edited 13 years ago)
Freerider101
What exam board are you doing and what module? I found it fairly hard at first, leading up to January in comparison to chemistry and maths, so I put most of my efforts into physics and came out with an A, B, C for Physics, Maths and Chemistry respectively. Put I retook the Maths and Chemistry in June and got A's for those modules and A's for the new modules. Basically I find the more stuff you can cover the easier it gets. I mean literally I'm doing C3 at the moment and I'm finding it pretty easy. To me it just seems like C1 style questions but using natural logs and exponentials and a few other bits. And because I learnt C1 so well, C3 has come together really well for me.

Edit: I generally find written answers hard. I'm much better at the calculations.

I am doing OCR 1 for Physics, Chem, OCR MEI for Maths (mech).
That was really helpful. I will try and learn C1 really well then, but it's fairly easy at the moment though geometry is death and it always will be in my mind.
I also find written answers hard, as occasionally I interpret them incorrectly. I am definitely suited to logical thinking I suppose. :o:
Reply 8
The advice to take a day off at the weekend is good. You can easily get stale if you never get a break. Try to do some sport or physical activity on that day off - exercise really does seem to help people to think and concentrate more and it is just different from studying.

If you need some practical tips, take a look at "How to increase motivation and tackle procrastination" at www.keweipress.com It's a free download.

Latest