Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Criminal record and uni? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Does having a criminal record affect your chances of university (eg assault or possession of offensive weapons)?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Not at all.

(Sorry, I'm just saying what you want to hear; I'm scared you'll stab me in my sleep.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seasick Steve)
    Not at all.

(Sorry, I'm just saying what you want to hear; I'm scared you'll stab me in my sleep.)
    Wow your jokes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxiKillxXx)
    Wow your jokes
    With a username like that I'm taking nothing for granted.

In all fairness though, if you've been convicted of a crime, and your conviction is unspent, your chances of getting offers are below zero. Warnings / FPNs etc give you a marginally better chance at getting into uni, relatively speaking, because you won't have to declare these on your application.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all.
    Unless OP wants to go into medicine/nursing/dentistry/physio etc that require a clear CRB check.

ReputationRep:
    With a username like that I'm taking nothing for granted.

In all fairness though, if you've been convicted of a crime, and your conviction is unspent, your chances of getting offers are below zero. Warnings / FPNs etc give you a marginally better chance at getting into uni, relatively speaking, because you won't have to declare these on your application.
    What do you mean ''unspent''? and FPNs?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Unless OP wants to go into medicine/nursing/dentistry/physio etc that require a clear CRB check.
    Ah, your sarcasm -o-meter is kaputt. I've elaborated on my later post

ReputationRep:
    Ah, your sarcasm -o-meter is kaputt. I've elaborated on my later post
    Oh. k.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean ''unspent''? and FPNs?

thanks
    FPN = fixed penalty notice ------> £60 fines for traffic violations / public disorder...

When you are convicted, the crime will remain on your criminal record for x number of months / years, depending on the nature and the severity of the offence. If you plan on applying to uni before this conviction "runs out", you must declare it on your UCAS form.

ReputationRep:
    What about Maths or other courses?

ReputationRep:
    Does having a criminal record affect your chances of university (eg assault or possession of offensive weapons)?

thanks
    y,do u have a criminal record?

ReputationRep:
    What about Maths or other courses?
    Maths is fine.

Generally those courses which provide you access to vulnerable individuals will require a CRB clearance.

ReputationRep:
    according to the CRB people...as long as police are not involved...you can do anything and it won't show up....

just a tip if you want to do a little shoplifting or other activity that will not end in police involvement if caught

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.