Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,
    I want to try and learn Welsh and might be going to a university where I can do this as an extra, but before then I would like to teach myself. I have been using the BBC Wales website which is pretty good but would like to get a book/audio CD. Living in Yorkshire, the libaries don't have any learn Welsh books available and was wondering if anyone could reccomend anything. Books, CD's, maybe some other websites? I'm learning southern Welsh. (Lot of family on mothers side come from there)

ReputationRep:
    Not sure what you could use, but good luck! Always nice to see. Don't let anyone tell you it's pointless and wtf are you doing, heh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    Not sure what you could use, but good luck! Always nice to see. Don't let anyone tell you it's pointless and wtf are you doing, heh.
    Thanks I don't mind if I don't use it every day, makes me feel connected with my ancestors. I can help my mum with the welsh family history too.

ReputationRep:
    Erm Rosetta Stone maybe? It costs (Unless you get it illegally, which is common)
    I'd love to learn Welsh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vintage <3)
    Erm Rosetta Stone maybe? It costs (Unless you get it illegally, which is common)
    I'd love to learn Welsh!
    Ooooh, that looks good. Unless my euromillions ticket is lucky, I doubt I will be buying it though :yep: Thanks for the tip though, might get it if I do go to a Welsh Uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EvaStarshine)
    Ooooh, that looks good. Unless my euromillions ticket is lucky, I doubt I will be buying it though :yep: Thanks for the tip though, might get it if I do go to a Welsh Uni.
    If you like Welsh then I'd recommend Bangor, it's in a more Welsh speaking area. But you can enjoy the wonders of Welsh signage whichever university in Wales you go to. This is a major novelty to me. :p:

ReputationRep:
    If you like Welsh then I'd recommend Bangor, it's in a more Welsh speaking area. But you can enjoy the wonders of Welsh signage whichever university in Wales you go to. This is a major novelty to me. :p:
    I was thinking maybe Bangor. Two of the unis I was definately gonna apply for were Swansea and Cardiff.

ReputationRep:
    why not go with gcse books and key stage 3 book? cgp probably do them

ReputationRep:
    Uwic is good. I'm 15 and was educated in welsh so I speak it fluently. Gl!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LazyWorseThanInfidel)
    why not go with gcse books and key stage 3 book? cgp probably do them
    That's good idea, just seen a nice looking GCSE Bitesize one.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking maybe Bangor. Two of the unis I was definitely gonna apply for were Swansea and Cardiff.
    My 1000000% unbiased view is: Swansea FTW. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Wheee! Good for you. :yep:

Have you had a look at the S4C website? If you didn't know, it's a TV channel which broadcasts (almost) solely Welsh-language programmes, and I personally find the easiest way to learn a language is to listen to fluent speakers and try to pick up patterns in what they're saying - maybe start with subtitles and when you get more proficient, try to watch things without them?

If you live in England now, it's fairly unlikely that you'll be able to get S4C on your TV - but you might be able to stream stuff through the website. Worth a look, anyway.

Pob lwc! :cute:

ReputationRep:
    My 1000000% unbiased view is: Swansea FTW. :awesome:
    I must admit it's tied at the top for preferance.

(Original post by *pitseleh*)
    Wheee! Good for you.

Have you had a look at the S4C website? If you didn't know, it's a TV channel which broadcasts (almost) solely Welsh-language programmes, and I personally find the easiest way to learn a language is to listen to fluent speakers and try to pick up patterns in what they're saying - maybe start with subtitles and when you get more proficient, try to watch things without them?

If you live in England now, it's fairly unlikely that you'll be able to get S4C on your TV - but you might be able to stream stuff through the website. Worth a look, anyway.

Pob lwc!
    I think that I do get it on Sky, I'll definately give that a try, it sounds like a good idea. I'll have a look at the website too.

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,
    I want to try and learn Welsh and might be going to a university where I can do this as an extra, but before then I would like to teach myself. I have been using the BBC Wales website which is pretty good but would like to get a book/audio CD. Living in Yorkshire, the libaries don't have any learn Welsh books available and was wondering if anyone could reccomend anything. Books, CD's, maybe some other websites? I'm learning southern Welsh. (Lot of family on mothers side come from there)
    as a proud welsh i've been around the language in some form or another for as long as i can remember. when it came to exam times and stuff i picked up loads from watching pobl o cwm on S4C, the language can sometimes differ a little becuase it's coloquial but you get the basic idea of it. another programme that used to amazing to pick up stuff because it was pretty simple was pam fi duw? it finished years ago but i'm sure there's re-runs somewhere on the net Pob lŵc

ReputationRep:
    Swansea offer free Welsh classes, and you can usually find classes at local colleges if the uni you end up at doesn't offer them!

ReputationRep:
    the best thing is to move there, without a doubt

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking maybe Bangor. Two of the unis I was definitely gonna apply for were Swansea and Cardiff.

If you come to Bangor, you'll be taught North Walian... :fyi:

I'm doing basic welsh for one of my optional modules this year lol, its a great way of meeting people actually, cos we're being taught in small classes and its mostly taught orally

ReputationRep:
    My dad can speak Welsh and he knows 9 other languages so it cant be that hard plus I thought I would add he was interviewed for BBC Wales website haha.

ReputationRep:
    As mentioned earlier, S4C is an excellent opportunity for any potential Welsh learner to hear the language spoken - the best way to learn a language is by immersion.

You could also try contacting the Welsh Language Board by phone, or via their website (http://www.byig-wlb.org.uk/Pages/Hafan.aspx) in order to be pointed in the right direction. Alternatively, if you contact the WJEC exam board they should be able to supply you with suitable textbooks and learning materials for Welsh as a second language, at KS or GCSE level.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    Swansea offer free Welsh classes, and you can usually find classes at local colleges if the uni you end up at doesn't offer them!
    :eek3: :eek3: :eek3:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 24, 2010

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.